Opel GT Forum banner

541 - 549 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel GT
21 Posts
I would like to get on the list for "The Can of Keys"....I need door keys...I also have several old Opel keys without a home that I will throw in...
I am expecting the can of keys in the next few days. From the e-mail string, I believe you would be next on the list. If you direct message me your address, I will forward them to you afterwards.

·
Registered
1970 Opel GT
21 Posts
OK - Got the can of keys and just finished trying them. So disappointing. No success on ignition, doors, or gas lock. I'm zero for three. Anybody have any tips? Maybe PO changed them? Hard to believe the PO would've changed lock of gas lock. Any special way to turn the keys I'm maybe missing? I tried them both ways in ignition as most key fit in with notch facing away and facing you. Guess I'm stuck calling the locksmith (or taking the door handle off and getting the number. I read one of the members here can make a key). I hate to destroy the gas lock but sounds like that is the only way out. Just wanted to consult the experts before mailing the can to next guy.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
OK - Got the can of keys and just finished trying them. So disappointing. No success on ignition, doors, or gas lock. I'm zero for three. Anybody have any tips? Maybe PO changed them? Hard to believe the PO would've changed lock of gas lock. Any special way to turn the keys I'm maybe missing? I tried them both ways in ignition as most key fit in with notch facing away and facing you. Guess I'm stuck calling the locksmith (or taking the door handle off and getting the number. I read one of the members here can make a key). I hate to destroy the gas lock but sounds like that is the only way out. Just wanted to consult the experts before mailing the can to next guy.
Keith Lundholm of New Vintage (aka "opelspyder") can easily use the number off the door handle stem to make you a key that fits it. Hopefully some PO hasn't swapped out the handle or ignition tumbler to make them different.

As for the gas cap, it is quite easy to re-key the tumbler to fit the ignition key once you have that sorted, or just send that to Keith as well. Full instructions are at:

and the top ("Stuck") threads at

·
Registered
1970 Opel GT
21 Posts
Keith Lundholm of New Vintage (aka "opelspyder") can easily use the number off the door handle stem to make you a key that fits it. Hopefully some PO hasn't swapped out the handle or ignition tumbler to make them different.

As for the gas cap, it is quite easy to re-key the tumbler to fit the ignition key once you have that sorted, or just send that to Keith as well. Full instructions are at:

and the top ("Stuck") threads at

Thanks Keith. Tried the whole can one more time (which takes a 1/2 hour btw). Still no success. I did try the hack (no pun) with the hacksaw blade to get the locking gas cap off .... and IT WORKED! So tomorrow I'll take apart the door and get the number off the door handle and send it to the Keith Lundholm. Can of keys was worth the shot. I'll send it along to the next guy after the holiday.

Barry

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
Thanks Keith. Tried the whole can one more time (which takes a 1/2 hour btw). Still no success. I did try the hack (no pun) with the hacksaw blade to get the locking gas cap off .... and IT WORKED! So tomorrow I'll take apart the door and get the number off the door handle and send it to the Keith Lundholm. Can of keys was worth the shot. I'll send it along to the next guy after the holiday.

Barry
Barry, if the gas cap is "locked" (as in, it spins) and off the tank inlet, then it is actually EASIER to remove the key tumbler from the gas cap, and then grind the wafers so that your ignition key will work.

Go to post #10 of:

and follow the instructions.

HTH

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yesterday I got the can...and I found a key that would fit my gas cap....today I will get that key copied and will be done with the can..... Anyone need the can ???

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think I have a key I am willing to add to the can. I don’t need a key for my 75 anymore and idk if the one I got with it even went to it n the first place. Let me know where to send it after I find it.

541 - 549 of 549 Posts