Opel GT Forum banner

121 - 140 of 496 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Joe;
The Can of Keys travels by the Postal Service. John expressed a need for a steering column he has. He was first, but, that does not mean that the Can of Keys couldn't be shipped direct to John, then to you.

·
1,675 Posts
Gene
So far no one has been in contact with me about the keys. If they happen to make it to my place I can either forward them or bring them to Carlisle. I can bring the steering colume to the show and check them there if I have to. A bit more room in the Ascona.
John

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Gene
So far no one has been in contact with me about the keys. If they happen to make it to my place I can either forward them or bring them to Carlisle. I can bring the steering colume to the show and check them there if I have to. A bit more room in the Ascona.
John
John;
Right now, an e-mail has been sent to John Warga, and I have not heard if he has mailed them or not. I guess I need to find out.:yup:

·
Super Moderator
5,715 Posts
John;
Right now, an e-mail has been sent to John Warga, and I have not heard if he has mailed them or not. I guess I need to find out.:yup:
Gene, I was over at John Warga's place this weekend and sadly, not one of the MANY keys in the bucket fit his "Rescue" GT's gas cap. But knowing that someone was next on the list for the famous bucket, I brought the tin of keys home with me (John lives a bit south of the city and might not have been thinking "Opel" when he happened to be in town near the post office).

Who gets them next?

·
Super Moderator
5,715 Posts
I also have EVERY gas cap key.[/U] Yes you read that right, I have every gas cap key. You send me your cap, and I will send it back with a key. You can mark the cap however you wish. I am able to cut keys to factory spec, and rekey gas caps without opening them apart. Please make sure the condition of the gas cap key hole first, as I have found some a key will not go into anymore due to people prying and such on them. If I cannot find a key, I will send it back to you and pay for shipping both ways-thats how confident I am on getting you the right key.

Keith
Keith, John Warga's "Rescued" GT has a locked gas cap without a key, and although we tried EVERY key in the "Bucket of Keys", none would unlock the cap. I suspect that the only solution is for him to crawl into the tail section and remove the flex connector on the fill tube and pull the tube out the top, and then try to get a locksmith to "pick" the lock and cut him a new key. Are there any other solutions? Do you have every key available for the gas caps such that you can open a locked cap?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
... I suspect that the only solution is for him to crawl into the tail section and remove the flex connector on the fill tube and pull the tube out the top,
IIRC on my '69 GT I was able to remove the brake light assy. and remove the filler
tube out the top.

On my '70 I could not because of the vent tube.
Not sure about the other years.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Gene, I was over at John Warga's place this weekend and sadly, not one of the MANY keys in the bucket fit his "Rescue" GT's gas cap. But knowing that someone was next on the list for the famous bucket, I brought the tin of keys home with me (John lives a bit south of the city and might not have been thinking "Opel" when he happened to be in town near the post office).

Who gets them next?
Keith;
Joe, aka "Vanjoe" had spoken up and has been a nice guy about waiting. John Dickerson, aka opeljohn, has solved his problem so, if you will, please get Vanjoe's mailing address and forward them onto him, it would be greatly appreciated Sir.

·
Opel Key Master
4,948 Posts
Yes...if you can remove the filler neck...if it doesn't have the guard spotwelded around the collar...send it with the gas cap. I have every key in which I will find yours...cut it from its proper code and send you 2 keys with codes so you will always have it. It cost 50 for 2 keys cut, and a little more for Canada shipping. PM me for more info. I also have a can of keys that 2 got lucky with at Carlilse but it doesn't have a ton of keys in it. Pay for shipping and I will get it up to you if you rather gamble, or go with the sure bet thing.
Keith

·
Super Moderator
5,715 Posts
Keith;
Joe, aka "Vanjoe" had spoken up and has been a nice guy about waiting. John Dickerson, aka opeljohn, has solved his problem so, if you will, please get Vanjoe's mailing address and forward them onto him, it would be greatly appreciated Sir.
Gene,
Contact has been made with Joe (aka Vanjoe) and his address is obtained. I assume that the protocol is for the sending party to pay the freight each time, so as to avoid the trouble of collection. If you let me know your e-mail Gene (although I thought I had it) I will send you Joe's info for you to track for the next recipient.

For those who have not yet experienced the "bucket of keys", I provide the following photo:

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
. :ugh:

My ears have been ringing for about an hour.......

Now I see people are talking about me online.... :yup:

Looking forward to see this most famous object.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
. :ugh:

My ears have been ringing for about an hour.......

Now I see people are talking about me online.... :yup:

Looking forward to see this most famous object.
Joe
Joe;
This Can has been more places, here in the US and Canada, than most people will be in their life.:yup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
So they been around huh?!?! Best I practice safe sex when my turn comes with them?

Joe;
This Can has been more places, here in the US and Canada, than most people will be in their life.:yup:
The following errors occurred with your submission
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.
story of my life....:sigh: what I entered was too short and needs to be lengthened:sigh:

5 characters.... is that really inches???

·
Registered
114 Posts
How Does a Gas Cap Lock Work?

As I started playing with keys, I realized I have never had a key for a GT gas cap! How do they work? The two ears inside go up and down with the turning of the key????

I am being careful , thinking that this tumbler could be froze up or dirty. A second gas cap looks like someone did use a screw driver in it as the outer slot is not square to the cap . And it definitely needs cleaning and oiling.

Any helpful hints on getting a tumbler turning after years of no use?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Über Genius
8,874 Posts
As I started playing with keys, I realized I have never had a key for a GT gas cap! How do they work? The two ears inside go up and down with the turning of the key????

I am being careful , thinking that this tumbler could be froze up or dirty. A second gas cap looks like someone did use a screw driver in it as the outer slot is not square to the cap . And it definitely needs cleaning and oiling.

Any helpful hints on getting a tumbler turning after years of no use?
Thanks,
Joe
Not really.

When you turn the key, the top of the cap will rotate freely from the bottom so the cap can juast spin instead of being removed. It's near impossible to remove a "locked" cap short of destroying something.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Back to the keys

Where can I find the black rubber "handle" that the metal prong fits into? One of the keys to my '74 1900 is just the metal tip and a t shaped insert that goes into the black oval ring.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Where can I find the black rubber "handle" that the metal prong fits into? One of the keys to my '74 1900 is just the metal tip and a t shaped insert that goes into the black oval ring.
You'll have to keep an eye out on Ebay, they do pop up every now and then. It wouldn't hurt to ask one of our German members to watch the German Ebay for you either.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Bucket of Keys

Does anyone know where the famous "Bucket of Keys" are? I am going to be heading to Route66 in Springfield next month and was hoping to try and find a key for my gas cap.

Also, I know someone was capable of cutting keys. I would like a spare key cut if possible.

Thanks!

Lori

121 - 140 of 496 Posts