Opel GT Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,165 Posts
Interesting. The parts list from the shop shows a "MRG 12S" as the fuel pump that they installed. A Mr. Gasket 12S is rated at 7 psi. It looks like the 42s, rated at 3 psi, would have been the better choice.
7 psi will definitely overwhelm the needle and seat and flood the carbs.

Weber’s need high volume, but low pressure.

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
No it wasn't. And one of the cylinders had been bored at an angle, so this shop had to get a different block. Whoever did the work in California wasn't very good. At least the Minnesota shop (Foreign Affairs) seemed to have an idea of what they were doing.
Umm, "And one of the cylinders had been bored at an angle, so this shop had to get a different block. " ? Sorry to repeat my french, but (in caps), WTF? First, how is that even done? Second, umm, how did the second shop diagnose that? Unless it was a massive over-bore, it simply is difficult to bore at an angle. And almost impossible to determine. So, well, now I wouldn't trust EITHER shop. They both simply seem incompetent.

As demonstrated by a 7 psi pump feeding a Weber. It takes about 30 seconds to determine the maximum pressure allowed for any Weber. And about the same to spec and order the correct pump.

The history of so-called "foreign car repair shops" pooching Opel work is legendary. Seems like another example.

·
Can Opeler
3,690 Posts
Also if they have 7psi feeding those webers without a regulator there is no way in heck the did enough research to properly jet it either.

You’ll probably want some special low vacuum jets for it when you get around to tuning for that cam. There are “hypojets” out there that work below 16inHG better than typical jets.

You’ll definitely want Venturi fountain tubes to replace the emulsion tubes too. I’ll help you out with all of that when you get there.

Reactions: soybean

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
So, well, now I wouldn't trust EITHER shop. They both simply seem incompetent.
I have been somewhat operating under the assumption that the CA shop was inept but the MN shop knew what they were doing. As you suggest, I am now at the point where I have to assume that neither shop did things right. Instead of trying to finish what they started, I think that I now have to go over everything myself. Not exactly what this "non-engine" DIY'er had in mind....

·
Super Moderator
14,165 Posts
I have been somewhat operating under the assumption that the CA shop was inept but the MN shop knew what they were doing. As you suggest, I am now at the point where I have to assume that neither shop did things right. Instead of trying to finish what they started, I think that I now have to go over everything myself. Not exactly what this "non-engine" DIY'er had in mind....
Well, being a machinist (good or otherwise ) doesn’t automatically make you knowledgeable in how to set up an engine.

Particularly one with which you have no prior experience.

The fuel pressure issue for instance, is almost forgiveable if all your prior experience was with Holley carburetors. True, a little bit of internet research would have shown the correct pressure choice, but if all you’ve ever done for 20, 30, 40 years is set up Holleys, you wouldn’t even give it a second thought.

I may know Opel engines pretty well, but I really know nothing about automotive machine work processes. I leave that to the professionals.

I guess it’s good to know your limitations, particularly when it’s on somebody else’s dime.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Well, being a machinist (good or otherwise ) doesn’t automatically make you knowledgeable in how to set up an engine.

Particularly one with which you have no prior experience.

The fuel pressure issue for instance, is almost forgiveable if all your prior experience was with Holley carburetors. True, a little bit of internet research would have shown the correct pressure choice, but if all you’ve ever done for 20, 30, 40 years is set up Holleys, you wouldn’t even give it a second thought.

I may know Opel engines pretty well, but I really know nothing about automotive machine work processes. I leave that to the professionals.

I guess it’s good to know your limitations, particularly when it’s on somebody else’s dime.
The MN shop claims to specialize in "Late Model and Vintage Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche". They did the engine install and setup. They had sent the machine shop work out to Headquarters Machine & Restoration in Minneapolis. Based upon the reviews and reputation of both shops I assumed that they did their parts of the process properly. Now I'm not so sure.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,109 Posts
Mel,
I've been thru the 'German auto repair sbop' thing myself. Usually they have no real clue to Opels. But the big question is, how much do they know about custom engines?

101 - 108 of 108 Posts