Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the valve cover off of my 70 gt and the current engine is
not the original...the numbers on the drivers side of the head are
from left to right....(23a opel - 70 1.9\8 930 072 - 75h -7)..

Is this a high compression 1970 engine or the lower compression 72 engine? or somthing else...

PS:I spent the last 2 hours polishing the oxide of the valve cover..
it looks great.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
its not a good practice to check the year by the head, as the head can be changed from motor to motor. the head is a 1970 head. if thoses numbers came off the drivers side of the head. to check the year of the motor its self, pull the start out which is very simple, and there is a number on the block there. the last 2 numbers indicate the year of the motor its self.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
verifying engine compression

My 70 gt doesn't have the original motor,the head is a 70 but I could not get access to the starter bottom bolt to remove it to look behind the starter for the I.D.....

So I used a fiber optics probe and peeked inside cylinder #1 thru the spark plug hole....In the enclosed photo..top of piston looks flat to me..I could not see a dish..so I assume my gt has the higher compression engine..it sure runs good.

PS:What is the best way to remove the hard to reach bottom rear bolt of the starter?I was trying from the bottom,under the car..but my socket with a 4in extension would not move due to lack of space...top access was blocked by push rods.

thanks

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
its hard to tell, that line is where the dish starts on the piston, but there is no depth to pic at all, as it looks flat. the best way i have for getting to the starter is a 17MM socket, impact swivel, extension and ratchet. if i remember right i had a long extension and a shorter one, then i ran extensions above the bar that holds the motor in, and snaked the socket around things until i got to the bottom starter bolt. this is where the swivel socket comes into play.......impact swivels are probably going to be come a very good friend of yours...........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts