Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while back i heard you can put your tranny lube in under the rubber boot, in a vent hole or something? i went out and couldnt find where to put it.. jacking the car up to put lube in is a pain..so can any one shed some light? thanks in advance... its a 1.9L...

·
Super Moderator
8,350 Posts
I would guess that if you pulled the vent out you could. Why do you need to add oil? If it is leaking find time and replace seals. It will always be low and need filling at the most inopportune times, "MURPHY'S LAW". And we all know Murphy was an optimist.

How will you know when you have the proper amount?

Harold

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
there is a hex plug on the passenger side of the trans. fill it with gear lube until it starts to run back out at you with the car level.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Yes there is a vent that makes it much simpler. However you have to start with it drained. I've found that instead of just topping them off it's far better to go ahead and drop the pan and put in fresh oil. This allows you to check the condition of it and prolong it's life. Reseal the pan and put in 2 1/2 pints.
Oh, don't loose the spring.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is a bolt on the drivers side close to speedometer cable , and thats where i put it in last time... the lube i got said to top off only.. so what should i buy to put new in? if i take the pan off, where can a get the gasket? and what springs are ya talkin about? and todaythe tranny lube was leaking a little bit out of the speedo cable.. tranny was whining/buzzing a little...

·
Super Moderator
8,350 Posts
Check to see if the speedo cable is tight. Any leakage from the output shaft where the driveshaft is connected to the transmission?

When or if you drop your trans pan there is a spring that is held in place by the pan. You'll see it, just make sure it to put it back.

75w90 is fine for the lube or you can spring for synthetic. I put heavier lub in ONCE. It shifted okay when the trans was warm but was stiff when cold. I changed again to the lighter weight at the first opportunity.

HTH,
Harold

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
There is a single lip seal on the output drive for the speedo and an O ring to seal the body in to the tranny. Lip seal is 12x5x5 and the Oring is 22x19x3. Go to a bearing house and ask for at least the seal. It shouldn't leak there.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
should i get the pan gasket at opelgtsource. or just use some kind of gasket maker? and if so what kind?

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys.. i found my top off 80-90 lube oil... there is the plastic black cap thing under the shifter boot.. its about 1 inch to the passenger side, and about 4-6 inches in front of the shifter. is that the hole i need to ad it in.. and if so how do you get that capthing off?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Willy_g77 said:
there is a bolt on the drivers side close to speedometer cable , and thats where i put it in last time... the lube i got said to top off only.
Willy_g77, The bolt is where you top it off. I've always used the regular squeeze bottle, added a piece of hose to the top of the squeeze bottle, (tappered part) about 6 in long, inserted it into the aforementioned hole, and squeezed steadly. To check it, I was always stick my little finger in to the first crook and if your finger tip or first part of your fingernail comes up with lube on it, you're good to go. HTH, Jarrell

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just changed my transmission fluid today and when I was done I noticed the spring(mentioned earlier) sitting in the bottom of the drain pan. I test drove the car anyway and everything did just fine. What does this spring do?

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
spring in transmission pan

If the spring is about1/4 inch in diameter and about 1 inch long it is probable that it is the reverse detent ball spring. On the pan rail there is a hole that is about that size, iy is supposed to have a ball, that spring and a button insert that go in the end of the spring. It is compressed and held it place by the rail of the pan. It is for detent on reverse gear and without it the transmission will work but you have no detent on that gear and most likely you have to hold it in that gear to keep it from jumping out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have replaced every seal and gasket in my tranny with great success EXCEPT.......the rear seal. I've replaced it three times and i still get a drip back there constantly. Why is this....over time would the seal wear the drive shaft to a point where the gear lube would get past it??
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yep Mike and the same thing happens to the front seals on most cars. There is a front seal replacement kit that includes a new sleeve that goes over the crank nose piece and inside the seal to make a new sealing surface. It's not unusual to see this happen, where the rubber seal eats away at the steel crank nose piece. It doesn't sound right, but it happens. :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.