Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Old Car Guy !!
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent conversation with Gil Wesson (OGTS) the question of opels left in Canada came up. He gave me some numbers that suprised me . In Canada according to his customer data base there are approx. 250 customers many of whom own more than 1 vehicle. Myself being from Ontario, the next question was on a provincial level and the number was approx 75 customers which also suprised me as I have assumed that the numbers would be much lower not having seen an opel in the public realm for many years. For the size of our country the numbers aren't huge but we should all be proud to be keeping these little gems running and keeping their history alive. The next tim you put in an order ask Gil for the numbers in your province, they may suprise you!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello from BC

Hi, I live on Vancouver Island BC and I have two 71 GT's one for parts and the other is my daily driver.... Felix

·
Opeler
57 Posts
Greetings from T.O.

Toronto here, I know of atg least three other local GT owners. And one Manta FREAK!! (I mean that in the best way Rob!)
Mike

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Happy New Year guys!!
Mike, I openly admit my opelitis has gone from hobby level to mental illness!!!
(Jeez, I crossed THAT line years ago!!):boggled:
I guess our biggest problem in Canada is geography....we are in 1's and 2's all over the place...even here in Toronto we are spread out over the city.
I know I will try to throw the Summer BBQ again this year, but with me working in Montreal I will have scheduling issues, so it won't be the week after Carlisle.
But 75 of us in Ontario??....makes me think a lot of Opel owners here don't use the 'net (I know of one guy, Herb, who is in his 80's with 2 GT's, lives about 25 minutes from me, but has never touched a computer).
I guess we will just have to keep plugging away with any contacts we meet, and ask Gil to include the GT.com info with any order he sends out...
Ok, that's enough thoughts for the first day of the year....
Rob.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i'm from ayr, ontario... a little town around the kitchener/waterlooish area, i've got a 69 gt i'm restoring, a 72 gt parts car and a 72 manta rallye that i'm trying to decide what to do with

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
Lets see, here in Calgary alone there is me (two Opels), John Warga, Trevor Poffenroth, Alex McLeod, Dana (don't know his last name), Darrell Marquardt, David Ragan, Hagan Hartwell and Stuart Biglands, all with GT's. That makes 10 Opels in Calgary that I know personally, and I have seen at least another three or four in the past few years that I couldn't catch up with. But let's look at it another way.

There were 103,000 GT's made, and about 80,000 made it to North America. I believe I read that approximately 8,000 GT's were imported into Canada. Total numbers of Opels including Kadetts and Mantas were probably double that, but far fewer of those survive today than GT's.

By the poll at
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417
about 9% of the members on this site are Canadian (25 actually voted, which is pretty darn good for us politically apathetic Canadians!), so out of the 7808 current membership, 700 or so are likely Canucks. Probably half of those actually have Opels, so say 350.

Estimates are that 20% of all GT's built are still "alive", in some fashion or another. So I might guess that there are 1600 or so Canadian GT's around (most in back yards and garages), and maybe half as many Kadetts and Manta's. And half of those live in Scarborough Ontario, at Rob's place!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Comox Valley

I also know of at lease two more good looking GT's here in Comox Valley, which as a population of around 20K.

·
115 Posts
Well there is one less '71 GT in Ontario, since I have moved to the East Coast, good ole Halifax. Since I have left my good neigbour Graham, I have to look for another Opeler here in the Halifax area. I am trying to track down the name of the Opeler in St John, NB, which I have seen pics of the GT that is being refurbished. With any luck I will get him/her signed on.

I think Rionarts comment is right on the button about people that are not connected to the "net" or just unaware that this site exists. There are more Opels out there then we think!

·
115 Posts
New Brunswick Opeler

Well I was in contact with our Opeler in in New Brunswick (Jerry) and found out that he is already registered on this site, 7128gt and he has pics of his hot machine posted in his garage.
Jerry, are they the most recent pics you have or have you finally completed your machine?

·
Opeler
4 Posts
Canadian Opel

Hi John and yes these are the most recent pics, were just in the middle of
wiring and interior. Probley about a month before an update.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in the small town of Harrow Ontario outside of Windsor. I have 3 GT's; a '70, '71 and a '72. Down here in Essex County there are around the figure of at least 20 GT's running or not. Unfortunately, I have to put my '72 up for sale because I bought a house and renovations took a big gouge out of my budget.
The car is retro red with black interior. 1.9 4spd with a just recently rebuilt head with a street cam. Weber Carb, gold spoked mags, new exhaust, recovered seats and the paint job was done in October 2004. Since then the car hasn't been driven no more than a total of 2 months.
I'm asking $9000 for it. It will go through an appraisal soon for insurance purposes.
If anyone is interested, my E-mail is [email protected] or call me at 519-738-0246 or 519-919-1843.

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
- GT Style - said:
Tumbler Ridge, it's in north-eastern BC.
A year or two back, there was a GT for sale in FSJ (Fort St. John) B.C. but he ended up keeping it. I had his number but seem to have lost it. Ever run across him?

·
Registered
58 Posts
kwilford said:
A year or two back, there was a GT for sale in FSJ (Fort St. John) B.C. but he ended up keeping it. I had his number but seem to have lost it. Ever run across him?
Haven't run into him, but if you find his #/info please tell me.

Know of any other's anywhere nearby? Either owners or cars for sale.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'm on Vancouver Is as well . Shawnigan lk to be presise. 1971 gt blue in pretty good shape.5 speed & 2.0 rebuild. Only seen 1 red GT running in Victoria .so far. Dale Doebert

·
Registered
6 Posts
New owner of his first Opel GT in Northern Alberta

Just started restoring a 71 GT in Wembley Alberta,(23km West of Grande Prairie). Wish me luck! eh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts