Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
5 Car garage
42 Posts
1971 opel ,Shawnigan lake BC on Vancouver Island.Anyone else on the island?
I'm in Victoria, BC. My Opel GT is a '71 in need of restoration......but she does run....sort of....she'll run better once I clean the fuel tank and replace a plugged fuel filter.

Steve B

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Dale ,Shawnigan LK , Vancouver Island

I am interested in knowing how many Opel owners/lovers there are here in Canada. How about writing in and let everyone know who you are and where you are located?
My name is John (jpiper) McInnis and I presently live in Ottawa, Ontario. I have a 71 Opel GT.
Who is next?

John
Hello. I'm on Vancouver Island . 71 in real good shape & now doing upgrades.Wireing headlites of course,weber, electronic ignition ect.Anyone else on the Island.I think mike sold his opel to steve & he's doing an overhaul from the bottom up.

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Any Canadian Opelers in New Brunswick or southern Nova Scotia? I'm going to be visiting some family and friends next month, and will be driving through to Moncton, NB then down to Port Maitland, NS (near Yarmouth) for a little vacation time.

Bob (born in Montreal, Quebec)

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Hi Bob,
I live 2 minutes from Halls Harbour, which is about 10 minutes from the 101 highway. I suspect that would be the highway you would travel on through Nova Scotia to get to Port Maitland. I have a 72GT that I drive almost daily and have talked to you at one point on some pistons you had. I have a motor I like to rebuild, maybe you could bring me some pieces that I could buy from you to help pay for your trip!! There is a great machine shop 40 minutes from here, going towards Port Maitland, that I am sure you would enjoy. They mainly build engines, even have a CNC machine that ports heads. One of the owners has drag raced a 72 GT for years.
Dwight

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Yes, I would take the 101 most of the way down, but I prefer to drive the 1 for the last part of the trip! Mom grew up in Meteghan, and I have an uncle in Saulnierville (he's a former Canadian Airforce general), so I like to see how much the towns have (not) changed since the last time I went through!

What parts are you looking for? I ask because I'm not sure what I will drive. I might take my '72 Ascona wagon, but I might also buy my motorcycle by then. Tough to carry parts on the bike!

Bob

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Bob,
Cam, crank, and rods are good. Have some seized lifters and block has a .0005 taper. Thinking of boring it out to 2 litre. I have a great machine/engine shop to go to and with the great information you have been sharing, I just need to figure out what pieces I need.
Thanks, Dwight

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Johnvan

Hi. I have a yellow 1970 Opel GT which never saw snow. I am located in Cowansville, Quebec, Canada. I used to live in Oakville, Ontario and years ago I had a 1971 Opel GT.

Phone number: 450-266-7441 Email:vank09 "at" videotron.ca

John :lmao:

·
Opeler
4 Posts
:drive:
HI EVERYONE I'M JERRY FROM ROTHESAY NEW BRUNSWICK {SAINT JOHN}
BEEN A MEMBER FOR ALONG TIME SPEND MORE TIME IN GARAGE THAN ON COMPUTER. JUST FINISHED MY REBUILD AFTER 6 YEARS BOUGHT MY CAR FROM DAN PAPP IN 2001 [THANKS DAN GREAT CAR] WENT TO THE ATLANTIC
NATIONALS IN MONCTON IN JULY 1600 PLUS CARS REGISTERED ONLY 1 OPEL.
WORKED IN A GM DEALER [CLEANING CARS BEFORE DELIVERY, AFTER SCHOOL JOB] WHEN THE GT'S WERE NEW.
ANYWAY GREAT TO BE CANADIAN AND GREAT TO BE OPELING.

·
Panel Beater
291 Posts
Hi. I just bought another Opel .1972 original with 64000 miles from down south which I intend to restore. It is rust free and was always garaged

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
In BC,Shawnigan lk on vancouver is.I know a steve in victoria doing a major restoration & I know of a red one in the langford area.hopeing to run into him some time.You out there? Mine's a blue 71 in pretty good condition. Doing some upgrading this winter.Chroming the engine ect plus a sprint exhaust manifold as well as a ported intake. Bought it from the original owner from Campbell river.

·
5 Car garage
42 Posts
In BC,Shawnigan lk on vancouver is.I know a steve in victoria doing a major restoration & I know of a red one in the langford area.hopeing to run into him some time.You out there? Mine's a blue 71 in pretty good condition. Doing some upgrading this winter.Chroming the engine ect plus a sprint exhaust manifold as well as a ported intake. Bought it from the original owner from Campbell river.
I'm Steve from Victoria. My '71 Opel is quietly stored in a garage as I poke around e-bay acquiring parts and a '73 Triumph GT6 I bought a a month ago in San Francisco, so I've got both cars to restore. Good thing I've got plenty of garage space.

Currently I'm quite busy landscaping my backyard and installing a patio and lawn etc. Always a few projects on the go. :D

·
5 Car garage
42 Posts
Good to here your still out there steve.Are you doing the tacoma thing again.How's the opel coming
Hi Dale,
Regarding my Opel GT....I'm still at the stage of locating bits and pieces and assessing the car and doing research before I begin the Opel restoration. I've also got to focus on getting my recently imported Triumph GT6 running safely so I can get it inspected to complete it's importation process.

With luck I'll be at the Opel meet in Tacoma.......I won't have the Opel running, so I'll bring our minivan. :grumpy: At least the van has air conditioning. :)

·
GT Smart
54 Posts
Hi Richard here in Winnipeg, I just Purchased a 70,71 and a 72 gt in September all from the same Guy. All I need is to put 4 new tires on the 70 and it's ready for saftey and I have a driver the next one will be a complete restore. Now if I could figure out which one to start on first.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I couldn't resist saying hello and cheers to all my fellow Canadian Opelers!!!:)

41 - 60 of 80 Posts