Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that title is very vague.
I have a 1970 Opel GT, 1.9L, Automatic. I've rebuilt most of it. It runs great and drives well.

Lately I've had this happen. On occasion.
turning the key in the ignition doesn't do anything. No clicking, no turning over attempted, etc.
I have a new battery and new starter (from OpelGT source) and a new ignition harness contact switch from OpelGT Source.
When I use a screw driver and jump the large battery post to small right post, cranking the starter, after that I can use the key ignition switch. And it continues to start by it, even after shutting the car off multiple times.
I replaced the wiring to the starter and around it. As it was frayed before.

The steering wheel doesn't lock, but I'm not sure if it ever did.
I first thought the car thought it was in gear, therefore wouldn't turn over. But that doesn't seem like the issue. I rocked the car, and pushed it while in and out of gear (I did notice that once it is in anything but P it moves freely, I would have expected the gears to stop that).

Ideas. Thanx.

·
Opeler
3,103 Posts
More information for Opel Neutral Safety Switch.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Or erratic ignition switch contact or anything in that circuit, like the neutral switch or the harness connections. Next time, try putting the trannie in neutral and also jiggle every connector you can and try restarting after each jiggle.... you might ID the problem location that way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wondered about the neutral switch, I need to find some time to go through it again.
I did try going through the auto gear and jiggling the car, no luck.
I wonder then why if I turn it over via the starter, go around the neutral line, she starts every time after that for a while then maybe if she sits she forget, lol....

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Yeah that part is crazy. I can only think that the running is jiggling something back into contact for a while. A frend like to say "The machinery will always win!"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where does the neutral safety switch reside? I'm assuming down at the base of the steering column?

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts
On the hump under the PRNDSL console, I believe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here’s a page from OGTS that might help. I seem to recall there is a wire “jumper” that takes the output from ignition switch and runs it back thru the interlock switch on starter which is then connected to solenoid I think you might be able to simply connect the side fro the key switch to solenoid, bypassing interlock, for a quick test. It’s been a few months since I messed with this on my car when I swapped in a 4-speed so I might not be quite correct.
3AC729E0-ECB6-455E-BDDA-42B10185E039.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry, please ignore the last attachment/photo which shows reverse light wires; the starter interlock stuff is underneath car in the trans tunnel I believe.

·
1,719 Posts
There were some issues with OGTS starters (Bendix) that would start ..not start. But check everything as noted.
IMG_9519 copy.jpg
IMG_9520 copy.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Manta Rallier

·
Can Opeler
3,486 Posts
There were some issues with OGTS starters (Bendix) that would start ..not start. But check everything as noted. View attachment 433793 View attachment 433794
You can’t check those without destroying the solenoid. (Well you can but it’s tricky and requires soldering).

I had 3 OGTS solenoids fail in 3 years. I now have nice auto part store solenoids on my OGTS starter motors and they work great.

When the OGTS solenoids fail it starts with some clicking when you turn the key. If you try enough times it will start until it gets worse over time.

I would bet you have a different issue though. I believe OGTS has fixed the issue with the newer batches of starters.

Reactions: Manta Rallier

·
1,719 Posts
A number of those starters are out there (people buy car parts and it's a long tiime before install and use.....I know hard to believe) so that's why I posted info. Just another step to check.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys so much, great pictures and information.
I'm the kind of guy that if I'm going to the trouble of taking everything apart I might as well replace the pieces that need replacing :)
I cant find the neutral safety switch online, I typically get my parts from OGTS?
I have their new starter, and column harness.

Where can I get one?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys so much, great pictures and information.
I'm the kind of guy that if I'm going to the trouble of taking everything apart I might as well replace the pieces that need replacing :)
I cant find the neutral safety switch online, I typically get my parts from OGTS?
I have their new starter, and column harness.

Where can I get one?
I've had some time, now that it's getting nice again, to look at this.
I had to charge the battery and to turn it over via shorting out across the pins on the starter. That the starter just clicked via the key in the ignition.
I have the center console apart and cannot figure out how to get the neutral
safety switch out of the assembly. I have the nuts off (2), but it wont clear the wall to be pulled out?

ideas?

Thanx.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can’t check those without destroying the solenoid. (Well you can but it’s tricky and requires soldering).

I had 3 OGTS solenoids fail in 3 years. I now have nice auto part store solenoids on my OGTS starter motors and they work great.

When the OGTS solenoids fail it starts with some clicking when you turn the key. If you try enough times it will start until it gets worse over time.

I would bet you have a different issue though. I believe OGTS has fixed the issue with the newer batches of starters.
is there a sure fire way to test and check to see if it is the starter?

I would think that if I can start the car, not move it. Then go back a day or two later and not be able to (it doesnt even turn over unless I short across the posts), that maybe its not the neutral safety switch. But I'm not sure if that is a good assumption.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts