Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this question before and never got a definitive answer, so here goes again. Does anyone have, or know of the Car & Driver Article that was printed in '75, that detailed the parts that went into building the project Manta they built. From what I remember, Craig, from Long Island, has the original motor. There was also a turbo version built as well, and someone in the Midwest has it. I think. Both were put in Mantas. I had an engine built according to the article, in late '75 and still have it in a '74 Manta with FI and a header on it. 185,000 miles when it was parked. It is going in the shop this winter to be rebuilt and I can't remember what, and how, it was built. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
I have all the articles pertaining to this car. The car in question was an Ascona, not a Manta BTW. Craig from Long Island bought the actual car, complete with the turbo engine. The car started life as a racecar (Showroom Stock) for the guys at Car & Driver magazine. It was mildy wrecked at Watkins Glen in fact, but after it spun and crashed while leading and lost multiple positions on the track, the driver chased down the race leaders and in the process set a new track record.

After the car was not longer eligible to race because of its' age, the magazine decided to modify it slightly....high compression pistons, milled head, stiffer springs, 6" wide Borrani wheels, Phoenix Stahflex tires, and some other modest tweaks.

Finally the magazine decided to go 'high tech', and turbocharged the engine. They also upgraded the wheels to BBS alloys, Pirelli P7 tires, Scheel seats, an upgraded steering wheel, and a paint scheme which incorporated the Car & Driver logo. It was impressively fast for the era.....not so fast by today's standards! But overall, a very well-rounded car.

Bob

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's convenient sometime, RallyeBob, I'd like to get some copies of the articles. The engine served me well autocrossing for many years and as a Daily Driver until 1988 when she was parked. Ran as good as when it was first built. I couldn't remember if was in an Ascona or Manta. Thanks, Jarrell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts