Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks I need help. Opel ran fine from illinois to Maryland. Then the afr guage went to 10 and we lost power and it starts chugging. I have a LE jetronic on thos thing and at a loss. Everything looks fine bit I'm not sure my air vane is opening all the way. Does anyone know how to test it out. I took it off and tried to watch it open but it did nothing. If I unplug the car instantly dies. I need help to get to carlisle!!!

·
1,777 Posts
Unplug your cold start injector at rear of intake next "plug and unplug" your coolant sensor/ cold start for poor contact and inspect contacts (near thermostat). You may be in rich condition cold start . This would test if this is your problem.
Next possible problem is a leaking injector or injectors (all 4 injectors fire at the same time twice per crank rev.) .

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes we were saved by a fellow opeler. We limped a couple hundred miles all day Friday to get as close to the coast as possible so Charles Groin did not have to back track to the west as much. It ended up being the coolant temp sensor (as Guyopel suggested) and running so rich i could almost watch the gas guage drop. it was BAD! We met some very nice folks along the way that helped us as much as they could from the nice widow that gave us a place to stay at the closed to public Sunset Inn, to Guy at Knaggy's auto repair who spent 3 hours checking things over and trying to find us parts (for a car and FI system he had never seen before) or at least a Uhaul, and to the lady at our last gas station who offered us beer. (gas station didn't sell any). Then finally Charles who drove almost 2 hours out of his way to swap out parts and help us get back on the road.

Thank you to all who provided suggestions and prayers!

·
Vendor
3,308 Posts
yes we were saved by a fellow opeler. We limped a couple hundred miles all day Friday to get as close to the coast as possible so Charles Groin did not have to back track to the west as much. It ended up being the coolant temp sensor and we believe the system just didn't realize it was up to temperature so it kept dumping fuel and running so rich i could almost watch the gas guage drop. it was BAD! We met some very nice folks along the way that helped us as much as they could from the nice widow that gave us a place to stay at the closed to public Sunset Inn, to Guy at Knaggy's auto repair who spent 3 hours checking things over and trying to find us parts (for a car and FI system he had never seen before) or at least a Uhaul, and to the lady at our last gas station who offered us beer. (gas station didn't sell any). Then finally Charles who drove almost 2 hours out of his way to swap out parts and help us get back on the road.

Thank you to all who provided suggestions and prayers!
Kudos to you for pushing on, and mega-kudos for those that helped along the way-esp. Charles! (y)

·
Super Moderator
14,552 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!

Change that engine oil ASAP, I’m sure it’s all diluted with gasoline that got past the piston rings.

Don’t want to risk wiping out your bearings.

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you got it fixed!

Change that engine oil ASAP, I’m sure it’s all diluted with gasoline that got past the piston rings.

Don’t want to risk wiping out your bearings.
the first thing on my list to do!

This is not the first instance of an Opeler in distress getting help from the community. I have witnessed it more than once at the event here and received help at Carlisle myself when my brake light wiring got wrapped around steering shaft the last time I was there. That was during light rain showers. This is a special Bunch.
I 100% agree!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts