Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4th entry has a picture of an Opel Diplomat and mentions other model names used by Opel.
The article started with 9 names but includes many more. A little time travel here.
The Comments following the article mention even more names, some were new to me.

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Does GT count? Opel/Ford for sure, but lots of models claim to have a GT, such as mustangs.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Plymouth used the name "Suburban" on station wagons in the late 50s. So did GMC and Chevrolet (barely cross branded). GMC finally quit using the suburban name and went to Yukon XL,

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
Even though it is usually a trim level for other makes, technically GT would count. Ford did/does make the Ford GT, unrelated to the Mustang.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
I think they missed the Studebaker/Jeep Commander.

·
Opeler
1,199 Posts
Thinking about these two bad boys :cool:
View attachment 433205
Right, I knew you meant these two....but when you said “lots of models claim a GT, such as a mustang” I thought you meant that could have been considered a GT as well, thus creating a plethora of GT overlaps. All good. The most important thing here is that those two cars pictured are sweet!! (And white is my least favorite car color by a wide margin!)

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Right, I knew you meant these two....but when you said “lots of models claim a GT, such as a mustang” I thought you meant that could have been considered a GT as well, thus creating a plethora of GT overlaps. All good. The most important thing here is that those two cars pictured are sweet!! (And white is my least favorite car color by a wide margin!)
Yep. Every marque from Porsche to Fiat has offered their version of a "gran turismo", but few have done it better that the ones above. :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hudson and AMC Hornet. My age is showing.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
No confusing thses two, a Jowett Javelin and an AMC Javelin...

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was the other Manta ( obscure?) an Opel Concept ?

In the news this week ; The Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using Cherokee and Cherokee Chief as vehicle names.
If I remember my history correctly, Trail of Tears and all, The Tribe / Nation had the name first...

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
Thankfully, only Studebaker used the name 'Dictator'...in the late 20's to late 30's. What were they thinking?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ah, those great politically uncorrect days… Wonder if the bartelgefreiter or some other dictator swallowed the bait ? There was always the Studebaker President as an alternative for the democratic wussies.
:)

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Was the other Manta ( obscure?) an Opel Concept ?

·
Registered
hopefully a 1971-1972 Opel Gt 1.9L 4speed
78 Posts
Also American Austin Suburban and the chevy suburban and plymouth suburban. My grandpa has a American Austin Suburan so that is the only way I know they exist.
Sam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts