Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts

I thought the Volvo motors were only good for big HP's with turbo's and a lot of custom intake and exhaust work.

Oh wait, that sounds like a CIH engine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now I love my opel and while I'm no expert I believe you can get way more out of a volvo engine with minimal work than any cih I've heard of. They also made a ton of factory turbos that can make lots of power. Check out www.turbobricks.com there are a bunch of cheapskate volvo owners pulling some impressive dyno numbers and a few that are making outrageous power. -Just a little rant about volvo redblocks. I love that manta too, It must be seriously fast with that light body and all that power, It looks like a volvo 16v head, with all of the other work on that engine I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are in the 400+ hp range with almost if not more torque. What do you all think of the shock/coilover towers sticking out of the hood?

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
if you ask me

if you ask me the manta was a nice car, but that manta was bad as*... just my 2 cnts

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
all the "ovlov" engines with turbo's are sorced from renault
so you can find a 1.4 ,2.0 straight 4,2.5 and 3.0 V6 all are easy to tune for more power and the 2 litre up can use the volvo boxes from the RWDcars, dont know what box the 1.4 would mount to but it is very small and gives very good power

·
Driver
987 Posts
sleeper said:
What do you all think of the shock/coilover towers sticking out of the hood?
I think it looks pretty silly, but hey, that is a race car, so whatever it takes. I watched the video's he has on the site, that car can fly! He has some nice burn out videos as well.

·
Oldpiler
216 Posts
Basically a semi-tube frame Manta body with everything Volvo underneath. Except for the Corvette brakes, of course! Pretty wild!

Coincidentally, I'm going to be putting a few Volvo parts in my Ascona B rally car, though not quite so many!
I've got a Volvo 1030 (also known as Dana 30) rear axle with a fresh ZF lsd. The reason for going to that is parts availabilty. Gears, diffs, everything is cheaper and easier to come by for the Dana 30 axle than the Opel rear axle. I blew a ring and pinion in the rally car one time and was lucky to have a spare 4.75 from my old Manta rally car as a spare. If I want to go up to 5.28 ratio then things really start getting pricey for the Opel. Dana 30 stuff is easy and spare half shafts are in any wrecking yard. If I break a half shaft in my Ascona then I am done until I can get a spare imported from Europe (B chassis has a wider track and wider rear axle.) Also, when I convert to the Volvo rear axle I can do a full 5 link and get rid of the torque tube just like the factory did on the Ascona 400.
I'm already sorting out bigger front brakes which will probably end up being a combination of Volvo hubs and rotors and Mazda RX7 turbo aluminum calipers. The Volvo hubs will give me an easy supply of cheap 15" alloy wheels, something you need for a rally car.
Then I'm also toying with the idea of using a Vovlo M46 transmission. I have one from a Volvo rally car project (more on that in a moment) with a Quaife close ratio straight cut gearset. The gears are way bigger and stronger than the Opel 4speed plus it has an electric overdrive. Which would be especially nice when you want to drive on the freeway with 5.28 gears! I just have to replace a couple of the broken Quaife gears.

What broke the Quaife gears you ask? Why, The Fire Breathing Monster, that's what! My friend John Lane's 500-600hp turbo V-6 Volvo rally that we built. It's a pretty crazy Volvo. 504 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels at 4000 rpm. And that was with only 11psi boost! Needless to say everything behind the engine started breaking after that and we had to install a Ford 9 inch rear end and a Jerico dogbox out of a Winston Cup stock car! And now you know where I got the Volvo rear axle and tranny!;)

Here's a web album for the crazy Volvo pictured below

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=oppositelock&album_id=124351

There are other albums there to check out if you click on "go to another album" at the upper left.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts