Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trans question

I have a question. I just swapped engines in my automatic gt. Everything bolted up nice. Drive shaft went on perfect. I haven't hooked up belts on engine yet. Here is the problem.. No matter what position I put the transmission in I can roll the car with ease? I have even done it while looking at the flywheel and it does not move when I push the car? This is my first auto gt, so is this normal?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
No that's not normal, I have to ask if you remembered the bolts for the flex plate to torque converter.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dave has a point, but I would go one further based on what you said. You can put the gearshift in any position and the car moves easily. Does that include putting it in Park? The reason I ask, is normally in the Park position, on most automatics, there is a mechanical lock inside the transmission that prevents the output shaft from turning, effectivly locking the drive train. JMTCW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes we bolted the three bolts on the flywheel. If i remember the torque converter just slid on no bolts on that. ????

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
check your linkage adjustment to be sure park is all good and fully engaged...... Talking auto tranny's and solexes to be rebuilt. I have the large caliber weopon but need somebody to pull the trigger, just shoot me before I get too far out there, or is it too late?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
have you took the starter off and bolt the torque converter to the fly wheel ?
thats what ron and dave are on about

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"Park"

The car will be able to be moved in all gears except "Park" as that mechanically locks the drive train. In all the other gears the car can be moved because the auto is worked by the oil in it being pumped around by the pump in the trans that the motor drives through the torque converter. Without the motor going the converter just freewheels - unlike a clutch!
Just check to make sure that the pump drive dogs that stick out on the tube in the centre of the torque converter have actually engaged with the pump drive when you slid the converter into the belhousing - some times they take a bit of wiggling to engage properly.
HTH

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Opelagain;
There's 3 bolts that hold the torque converter to the flywheel. They come in from the engine side of the flywheel to screw into the torque converter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe its not fully going into park? We slid the torque converter on and bolted the three bolts too . It all fit great. I will stick my hand down there and check if park is truly in park?

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
If the shifter mechanism was not correctly adjusted there's a chance the parking pawl is simply not being engaged. Worst-case scenario the parking pawl is broken off.....hopefully this is not your problem though.

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok did some reading. If it is not the "pawl" it could be that the fluid level is too low. The manual states that if fluid level is to low a total loss of transmission function will occur. Some of the fluid did spill when I bolted on to new motor. The thing that scares me is the fact the tranny went through all positions with the previous motor. I guess I will have to wait and see untill I get the engine completly hooked up and started before I freak out too much.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Remember that fluid has nothing to do with Park. Fluid is all about when the engine is running, the pump picks up the fluid and is fed to whatever piston/clutch pack selected by the shifter/valve body to give you a particular gear, be it forward ones, a reverse, or none (neutral or park). Neutral and park are "no gears engaged".
"Park" is when the shifter Mechanically (not Hydraulically) pushes a "pawl" into a piston/clutch housing which is attached to the driveshaft and this pawl "locks" the driveshaft to the transmission case, thus, the driveshaft cannot turn. Because no clutches are locked, there is no connection between the driveshaft and the engine. Just like when a four speed is in neutral.
So think of your "park" as being "neutral with a driveshaft lock", as that is what it is.
The pawl has to engage into the clutch housing fully to lock it, sometimes it can't because they aren't quite lined up to mesh, the car has to roll an inch or so till they do mesh and the pawl pops into the housing to lock it. Surely you notice all cars with automatics do this. Now you know why.
If you are not getting the locking effect in Park, you have a shifter adjustment problem or a simple mechanical breakdown in the pawl area.
Just drop the pan and look inside your trans., see what is happening when you shift from park to reverse, it will be very obvious. Do this for two reasons, one so you can see how it works and have learned something, and to see what is in the pan, it probably needs serviced (filter and fluid) anyway. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Just to impart a bit of the very little I know about auto trannys, there are clutch packs inside that are engaged by the hydraulic pressure of the pump, If the pressure is low or non-existent, the clutch packs will not engage, so you end up with a free-wheeling effect. Interestingly, I was told on my monza TH350 after is was talked to, putting the shift lever in position 1 or low, engages both clutch packs, drive and reverse, so the full output power of the engine goes through both clutch packs to the output shaft. Less slippage through the tranny, or so I'm told. :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it was just a shifter adjustment! Thank you all for your help. I used my hand to move the linkage and found park. Thank God, I was worried I would have to pull the tranny out.

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
Moderators Note: Close, but no cigar; moved to the correct sub-Forum. I'm Baack....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts