Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this is email..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am the Chairman for the Eyes on Design Car Show which will be held June 26, 2005 at the Edsel Ford House in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. The show is a design focused show and benefits the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology.

This year we are honoring Chuck Jordan former VP of Design at General Motors and the person responsible for the design of the Commodore B Coupe. Is there one of these in the US and would the owner want to show it. Can't pay for transportation, but will get lunch the day of the show and could probably get Chuck Jordan to sign it.

Please pass this on and I hope to hear back soon as I am at my deadline for vehicle entry.

Thanks,
Glen Durmisevich
2005 Eyes on Design Chairman

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I followed up with if he needed a GT or Manta, since I know of only 2 Commodore B Coupes in the country, and only one is under restoration and I am not sure of its condition at this point. (Anyone have Robert Hiemrels (sp?)phone number, he is in D.C.)

Anyway this is his response to that:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I need a Commodore B Coupe. May be 1972 or so. Chuck Jordan finished
the GT and was responsible for the Manta, but he is more proud of the
Commodore B Coupe. Would be nice to have a show quality Manta, I would
have to check to see if wwe need the GT.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyone in the upper midwest have a car they could take? Anyone in the country willing to take thiers even if its a bit of a drive. WHat chance do you have to take a car to meet its maker to honor him?

Charles

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
the GT should be done by then, if they ended up wanted to show a T i'd be happy to take it.

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
jared on tv oh the fame the fame , we will have to get an appointment to chat :D hope you get to be there jared

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
would a chuck taylor signature make her worth anymore? LOL. yes, manta has kinda made me dissapointed with the GTs handeling, and its just not a practical car even tho it is loads of fun. i just do dumb things with the GT that i dont do with the manta and need to off it before i get in heaps of trouble, like 5 people in a 2 seater car and other things of the sort.

·
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the land where the Muscle car is rare, and european car common it would seem wierd.

In the US it wasn't imported. Being the owner of one of the few that found there way over I can say what makes it unique is that is mixed European handling, and style with American Muscle car design in a unique combo I don't think was really around at the time.

The Commodore B Coupe I think it of of the cleanest designs out ther forom the 70s'.. Apparently Chuck Jordan (Its designer) Thinks so as well. As it would seem that it is his favorite of all the cars he was involved in. That includes the Chevy Corvair, Opel GT, Chevy Camaro, and Opel Manta A to name a few.

Charles

·
Registered
213 Posts
you have no idea how happy you just made me, i've asked before about the camaro, but noone could tell me it was chuck jordans car. :) haha! :) :)

anyway, i obviusly don't see it, the commodore b, to me looks like one of those cars that always stayed a prototype... it actualy looks pretty advanced for the time, more towards 82, than 72. The NSU Ro80 which was considered extreemly futuristic at the time, has alot in common with the commodore b. (shape-wise), so I see why it would stand out alot more than say.. commodore A coupe which probably looks like every other pony coupe of that era there.

·
534 Posts
GoinManta said:
Just got this is email..

Anyone in the upper midwest have a car they could take? Anyone in the country willing to take thiers even if its a bit of a drive. WHat chance do you have to take a car to meet its maker to honor him?

Charles
I may be able to make that day & location with my '75 Manta. I'm near Milwaukee, and my sister lives in nearby Rochester Hills, MI, so I could work in a visit. My '75 looks nice outside & in, and I could easily do the few paint touch-ups needed by then. The blue stripes, however, are not stock, so I don't know if that would be a factor. Another possibility would be Don McLean, who has a '74 bronze Manta and lives in the Detroit area. I don't know the condition of his Manta, but his rallye gold GT is really nice (see pics of te GT from 2004 Route 66 Fest).
-Jeff W
'75 Manta
'73 Manta

Attachments

·
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sven said:
you have no idea how happy you just made me, i've asked before about the camaro, but noone could tell me it was chuck jordans car. :)
The one Chuck Jordan was involved with was the 70-79 model.. The one that has the same back end style as the Manta.

As for futurisitc, I never had put my finger on it, but thats it.. I had never thought of the fact the car looked a lot like a 80s car than a 70s car. But it sure does, its styling was clean and sharp, yet at the same time ahead of the time. Guess thats why I liked mine.

Charles

·
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
manta73wi said:
I may be able to make that day & location with my '75 Manta. I'm near Milwaukee, and my sister lives in nearby Rochester Hills, MI, so I could work in a visit. My '75 looks nice outside & in, and I could easily do the few paint touch-ups needed by then. The blue stripes, however, are not stock, so I don't know if that would be a factor. Another possibility would be Don McLean, who has a '74 bronze Manta and lives in the Detroit area. I don't know the condition of his Manta, but his rallye gold GT is really nice (see pics of te GT from 2004 Route 66 Fest).
-Jeff W
'75 Manta
'73 Manta
I am sure the blue stripes wouldnt be a problem. It would just need to be a #3 car or better. A good looking car from 5' or so.. Which it sounds as if yoru car is.

Not to mention Bill Hoffman has a few in the area as well that are pretty nice.

Charles

·
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IT is confirmed his IS looking for a mint condition GT and Manta for the show.

But we need someone NOW.. please contact me via email so I can get you in contact with him.

So if you have a show condition Manta or GT please contact him. Show condition meaning a respectable lookign car. It doesn't have to be of concours q1uality, just in really good shape. Also stock is prefered, but not required, again slight modifications are not a problem (Paint, weber, pertronix, radio, etc..) , just not radical customizations (Lenk kits, etc..).

Thanks,
Charles

BTW..

Tom can you make it ? Yours would be a perfect GT for the show.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
dont know if the GT will have paint by then or not so can't give answer too soon, guess i'll just show with it if its done.

·
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its a Invite only show, so there is only room for one of each at the show. I have to know as soon as possible.

Charles

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
i'm obviousely out then

·
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
72GT said:
There's also a picture of an Opel CD concept, looks like the Bitter CD. Is it the same thing?
Yes, Erich Bitter sold itallian cars in Germany and wanted to build his own, so he went to Opel with the idea of shipping him half-built diplomats and he would make the CD.

Charles

·
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW, havent had ANYONE contact me to put a GT or Manta in the show.. !!!!

Charles

·
534 Posts
I was really hoping I could help out by showing my '75 Manta, but when I looked back at the calendar, I won't be able to make the 26th due to family vacation time. Making the 26th would mean cutting that short, and much as I would like to attend the show, the family vacation thing needs to take priority. I've searched under Google and read a bunch of neat things about the Eye on Design show. It should be fantastic for whoever ends up going!!
-Jeff W
'75 Manta
'73 Manta

·
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like I will be having to brow beat Bill Hoffman and Tom Adkins into showing thier cars... Should have the cahnce at Carlilse ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.