Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the heat shield on the new Opel I just purchased is gone.
Does anyone out there have an extra one for sale?
What are my chances of vapor lock if I leave it off or damage to carb.?

Can you believe this car has a full belly pan(not rusted out) and a crack free dash? I really couldn't pass this car up.....

Thanks,
Stanley

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
carb heat shield

Stanley_P said:
I just noticed the heat shield on the new Opel I just purchased is gone.
Does anyone out there have an extra one for sale?
What are my chances of vapor lock if I leave it off or damage to carb.?

Can you believe this car has a full belly pan(not rusted out) and a crack free dash? I really couldn't pass this car up.....

Thanks,
Stanley
Check with Rodney when we get back from AZ on Monday . . .

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
No damage ....

No damage to the carb without the heat sheild but you will have the carb fuel bowl "boiling dry" from time to time when the car is shut down which makes it harder to start. Vapour lock usually only occurs in the fuel line going to the carb due to exhaust heat soaking into it - not caused in the carb as a rule. However on hot days the fuel can vapourise in the bowl while the car is going and it causes extremely rich mixtures as the "air" sucked into the carb has a high percentage of fuel vapour in it - instead of oxygen!
In cooler climes there is usually no problem and you will soon find out if you do have a problem - the car won't run well......

Deja vue'! Have a look at the threads at the bottom of this page ........

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GT TIM,

PM me your address and what you think is a fair mailing price. I will send you a money order. This is really nice of you, Thanks, Stanley_P

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
new car??

tell us more about it. This is great news that you are back!

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Puchased on Ebay for $2750, it may seem high but this car is in great shape.
Drove 6 1/2" hours to Concord, NC to pick it up. Interior has been total redone. I have the old interior, seat covers, kick panels, everything, old lenses, carb., many misc. parts. very little rust, floor pans solid, wasn't running when I pick it up, previous owner had new fuel pump. Put the pump on and off I went. I can't wait to get out to some of those Opel meetings.

Stanley_P

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congratulations Stanley P! We have matching beauties. Isn't the color stunning? What year is yours?
Jo Anna

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'd better change the photo beside my name. That is my 69 that I sold last year. My new one is red.

Stanley_P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts