Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ging's husband again.....

Quick question. Our (her's really) GT has had the Solex disposed of and a Weber installed by the PO(s). Is there an easy way to identify the model of the carb and are there any resources available for adjusting/tweaking Webers. I noticed when we had the engine apart (due to that crank nightmare see photo ) that there was alot of carbon build up on the piston heads and valves. Normally I wouldn't be concerned but this engine had less than 1000 mile on it after a complete rebuild. This and power and response make me think it needs a little adjusting.

once again... advice, tips, comments are welcome.
dan

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Mr Ging

Just put Weber 32/36 in the search box that comes up at the top of the page when you click on "Search". More info there than I could possibly re-type!
It does sound like the Weber you have is far too rich in the jetting - though Webers are "power" carbs.....
The carb you have there will either be a 32/36 dgev or a 38 dgas - the difference is that the 32/36 has two different sized barrels which open progressively; whereas the 38 has both the same size and they open together. You should be able to tell just by removing the air cleaner and looking down the throats but they do have the throttle size cast on the outside of the carb near the base.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
There are also a few Opels out there (mine included until recently) that have Weber DFV and Holley Webers (Ford Pinto/Cortina) carbs, that have reversed primary and secondary throats. But you probably have a 32/36 (DGV w/ manual choke; or DGAV w/ water choke; or DGEV w/ electric choke).

If you look at the base of the carb body, the model # should be stamped into the vertical bottom edge, on the engine (inboard) side, similar to the photo below. HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
carb id

Gee Wizz, Do you guys have pictures of every part of your car(s) archived in a huge vault somewhere or do you run outside and yank a part off and take a picture anytime someone needs a visual. That's amazing :) I'll have to wait until daylight to take a look/see to ID mine (opps... Her's).

Thanks guys

dan

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
ging said:
Gee Wizz, Do you guys have pictures of every part of your car(s) archived in a huge vault somewhere or do you run outside and yank a part off and take a picture anytime someone needs a visual. That's amazing :) I'll have to wait until daylight to take a look/see to ID mine (opps... Her's).

Thanks guys

dan
LOL...
Dan - Do the search and read up on jetting. The off-the-shelf Webers are usually jetted way too rich for Opels.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
ging said:
Er, well, I was packing up the van to go skiing in the morning ANYWAY (14 inches of fresh Pow at Lake Louise!), and since I have a heated garage (land of ice and snow up here, don't you know!), I just grabbed a spare Weber and took a photo of it. Hmm, if I actually FINISHED my GT (or even the SportWagon) I wouldn't be able to photo-document these threads NEARLY as well. Its really handy (in a Machiavellian sort of way) to have a nearly disassembled GT in the garage to be able to take photos of. Oh, you mean I am supposed to DRIVE it?

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
See, the advantage to purchasing parts and then not installing them is two-fold. First, it makes for easy reference for other members that have questions. Second, if you decide to change your mind about parts, you can save yourself the trouble of having to uninstalling them to replace them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for the responses. I looked today and it is a 32/36. I get the impression I'll have NO problem finding help around here. I did tighten up the base nuts today because I suspected an intake leak at the base. Seems to have made a little difference. I also know I need to tweak the linkage (binding in places). Then the fun starts... :)

Keith, are you saying you have a disassembled GT or are you just displaying the parts as if they were a full size exploded diagram :D

Thanks everyone
dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts