Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My opel has a downdraft weber im not sure of the size but it idles at about 600 rpm and i want it to idle at the recomended idle speed which im not sure what it is. how should i go about doing this, is there a screw or do i have to adjust the linkage?

·
Detritus Maximus
3,114 Posts
Do yourself a REALLY big favor, buy the Hayne's Weber book. The one with the dark blue cover (new and revised) not the old green one. It's about $15 and you can get it at Autozone (cheapy autoparts chain, if you have them up there) or even thru JC Whitney's.

There are many downdraft webers and almost as many specs on adjusting. You've probably got a 32/36 DGEV (E is for 'electric choke', a little wire running to right side of carb just ahead and above the throttle linkage. A would be for the hot water choke).

This is by no means an expert tuning description (I'm tempted to not post it for reasons of liability and faulty memory) and if anyone disagrees with what I'm about to say, go with what they say. But it kind of gives you the idea. The two adjustments on that carb are: a idle speed screw with a spring under the head down at the throttle linkage and the mixture screw at the base of the carb on the passenger side of the car.
Basically, after setting them to their initial settings (the book would help about now), turn the mixture screw in or out for the smoothest, highest idle (when it goes too high it gets rough again) then adjust the idle speed screw for the desired rpm. Then readjust mixture screw again. Back and forth (about three times on a decent engine/carb) til you get a good idle at the rpm spec'd.

Good luck and try not to burn your eyebrows off....:D

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i just looked at the carb this morning and to my surprise there is a coolant lines going into it and one going out of it so now i think its the dgav.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,114 Posts
Personally, I prefer the water choke. On cold cays, it only takes ten to fifteen minutes for the electric choke to cool down and force you to wait through it's warm up time (even though the motor is warm).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts