Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Opeler
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carello Headlights

I was looking at a catalog for my Alfa Romeo Spider, and I saw some carello headlight covers were available for my Alfa. When I saw the design and curvature of the headlight covers, it would seem like there is a chance they would fit on my GT. Does anyone know of what I am talking about? They look like the Maserati (hope I spelled it correctly)headlights. Oh, and if they do fit either through stock or slight modification, would the rotating lights still be able to rotate? :cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
I have always thought the same thing, about clear covers (read aerodynamic) for a GT, but, never saw any close enough to purchase to try. Let us know how things progress if you decide to follow through.
Gene :)

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
any pics, dont think i've seen one before.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
if you have any infra-red lamps ( for bad back or paint drying )
you can make your own by making a two part mold and vac forming with clear acrilic sheet :D

·
1,973 Posts
I never thought of that, exact replicas could be made from the original steel ones, and with chromed headlight buckets them selves could look pretty cool, nu chrome said it would be about $100 a piece for the bucket covers to be chromed as another idea.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
any pics of these things or are they relavant to whats ont he old GT40's and other LeMans cars?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
think "xk e" or "gt 40"
an aerodynamic aid for when the lights are up
those things can pull 5-10 mph of your top speed:(

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I've thought several times about doing a one off style like the racing 930 Porsches. One high and one low wouldn't be hard but boy would it be odd. flip the lever and only the passenger one rolls over and a low drivers side one comes on.

·
239 Posts
Has anyone done something like this?

Has anyone made a recessed lighting for the GT in th original hole to eliminate the rotating buckets, yet have aerodynamic lights??? I assume this is what is being spoken here ( no pictures to follow this post, posted)?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
rick there are pics in the members albums of modern mini lights in the cover i can not remember who's it is right now but will have a look later :)

·
239 Posts
Thanks Baz!

That's the problem, too many good ideas at this site and often hard to find even though you know you seen or heard someone speak of what it is your thinking of at the time! Thanks to everyone here an answer is most of the time only a question away!!! :D

·
Driver
987 Posts

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Those would be neat on a GT! Beyond appearance though, I think the only aerodynamic benefit would be at night when your headlights are up. Since I remember reading somewhere that pods in the closed position will gain you 5mph on the top end (stock).

·
239 Posts
Thanks Guys!!!

My minds eye was thinking more like the Thumbnail from 72GT, all though Manny's design is nice! Seems to me that the brackets of spring steel plates that tear and or the hardened bolts might have survived longer if made of stainless steel (flexable yete hard) Namba had stated to me hed didn't think a linear actuator could work because of the force required to overcome the open and closed latch mechanisms. seems that the rapid force and momentim is required to rotate the headlight buckets with it's present design, only problem is what happens to the components attached to this weight mass. Seems the only way to keep the rotating lights would be to either go to a rescessed fixed light and or do away with the cable system, latches and install a actuator that rotates the buckets at a slower speed with limit switches for up and down control of the motor. I have the air/conditioning tower down the center consule which also make actuatiocn of the lights a real pain as well!

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
just an idea..

is there a way to have your lights like manny's on one side and then stock on the other? each set controled by two different switchs???? so for shows you could have them stock, or for spirited driving at night you can have the custom ones... just an idea

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well what would they consider like a late 90's cadilac or something that has the bulb then the removable lens in front or really any kind of car like a mini cooper has the bulb then the lens what would a police officer constituat as a double surface if they even new such a law existed.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
In California, the covered headlight law went into effect for the 1969 model year. 1968 Fiat 850 spyders and Alfa juniors have factory covers and are grandfathered.

You might be able to get away with it though (especially if you have a '69 GT). It's not like there's any safety inspection in this state... also, the bureaucrats are likely unfamiliar with GTs. Worse case scenario, you'd get a "fix-it ticket" to remove them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts