Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stephen (aka "opldopelguy") sent me the following PM:

East coast trip this year? Keith, Any chance on a trip to Carlisle this year? You could do a comparo of west coast hospitality vs. east coast.....If all goes well I'd let you drive the Rekord.....You know you want to....cheers, Stephen
Very tempting. The 2003 OMC Picnic was AMAZING. The 2005 OMC Picnic will be the 25th Anniversary, so I'll move heaven and earth to get to that. Heck, Myrna had a pretty nice time too, so I might even get support from the management in 2005.

Carlisle in 2004? Depends on a lot of things. Being "retired" (at least temporarily, with a "package") from the career would help. I'm TRYING to sell the darn Company, but no luck so far! It also depends on the time of the year. It's in May, isn't it? Around Victoria Day (May 24th Long Weekend in Canada)? Hmm. It's a heck of a lot further than L.A. from Calgary, so flying would have to be the order of the day. But I've never driven a Record. Saw one in Malaysia last summer. Who else will be there? Rob Cassidy (from T.O.)? Gary and Charles? RallyBob? Gene? Now THAT would be cool to get THAT group all together!

I just might have to check into flights. How the heck do you you get to Carlisle? Do you fly into Philadelphia and drive? How far? What's the weather like in PA in May? Seems like it would be rainy.

But it's an interesting idea....

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Keith's signature

Glad you're including the Sportwagon in your signature! Kind of an acknowledgement of sorts . . .
:D

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
dates

May 21-23, 2004.

Distances from major airports:
Washington DC-115 miles
Philadelphia, PA-130 miles
Newark, NJ-175 miles
Scranton, PA- 140 miles
Harrisburg, PA- 22 miles
Baltimore, MD- 92 miles
New York City- 185 miles
Albany, NY- 310 miles, but with a free carpool if you time it right.

Currently Calgary International to Harrisburg International is @$550USD per ticket on cheaptickets.com, Baltimore is @$500, DC is @$450, Philadelphia is @$520, and Albany is @$550. A little looking on your end would probably yield cheaper tickets as well.

If anyone else is closer than me you have no excuse not to come. You don't have to bring your car, although there has been mention of dusting off the "most needy" award, and Carlisle is pretty friendly to works-in-progress. You can come to just put a face to the names you've been seeing, swap parts, share stories, admire some of the cars you've seen pictures of in person, or finally shake the hand of someone who helped you out. You could even come to climb in a car like Gary's to try to figure out just how that whatsit was supposed to go together in the first place. I plan to bring a trunk load of parts to "sell" at "don't make me take it back home" prices, so you might even get a steal on something you need.

You also don't have to come for all three days. Just make it a Saturday day trip and come say "hi." You'll be glad you did.

·
Super Moderator
9,754 Posts
I made my reservation yesterday. So, sofar, so good. I fully intend on being there, and I'll be driving my Sportwagon.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,236 Posts
Made my reservation yesterday.

From Charles Goin:
I have reserved a group of 20 hotel rooms at the
APPALACHIAN MOTOR INN
1825 HARRISBURG PIKE
CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA 17013
(717) 245-2242
They are about 1.5 miles up the Harrisburg Turnpike from the Motel 6.
Rates are: $75 for 2 double beds, $65 for a single Queen size bed.
Decent hotel, much nicer than the Motel 6, but not the Hilton. All rooms are inside and not outside. You have to Mention you are with The Opel Association or North America. All the rooms will be together and we will also have use of a meeting room and lounge area, for our after dinner get togethers. They have room to easily park and leave trailers. They are primarily a trucker hotel if that gives you any idea.
Saturday dinner will move to the Middlesex Diner which is next door. It's a nice resturant, with your standard fare. Since they are also open for Breakfast, I figured we could also start a Sunday tradition of meeting all together one last time for
Sunday breakfast at 9am. BTW, I promise Sun and in the 70s the whole weekend. I have already checked my Farmers Almanac.. ;)
So the schedule looks like:
Friday Night - Market Cross Pub - 7pm Saturday Night - Middlesex Diner (Next to hotel) Sunday Morning - Middlesex Diner
Could use some help or ideas for club events, etc..
Charles
Check out the photos in the Photo Gallery. There is a show field and a huge import only vendor field and a chance to win a car on Sunday. (given his luck at the OMC picnic, Keith has the inside track on this one!)

I rent 2 vendor spaces (J-35 and J-36) as an Opel Co-op where people can bring their parts to sell/swap/buy and not have to pay for and man a space all weekend. I don't anticipate bringing too much this year as I plan to bring one of my Opels (Either the GT or the Senator, maybe the Olympia..) John Grosh usually brings a lot of parts and Stephen, you are also welcome to leave them there.

It's a little later this year so hopefully the weather will be better.

So come on down and help my celebrate my birthday that Friday! :D

Gary

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I'll stop by for a day with my GT. Who do I contact for registration?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Sportwagon year?

BQS4 said:
I made my reservation yesterday. So, sofar, so good. I fully intend on being there, and I'll be driving my Sportwagon.
What year is yours again, Gene? :confused:

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Carlisle

I'm also planning to be there with my 75 wagon...and with a little luck, perhaps my new Manta as well. Otto...are you gonna show that new Ascona!!????

·
Super Moderator
9,754 Posts
Otto;
Mine is a 74, with 4-spd, and if Lady Luck smiles on me, I should have a 5-spd in it by the time Carlisle gets here.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: Carlisle

Sportwagon75 said:
I'm also planning to be there with my 75 wagon...and with a little luck, perhaps my new Manta as well. Otto...are you gonna show that new Ascona!!????
Well, let's see now . . . how many miles are there between Plano and Carlisle? That would more than triple the mileage on my 1100 mile "new" Ascona!

THAT
said however, I've NEVER been much of a believer in trailering any of my cars for any reason other than that they're NOT RUNNING! You DRIVE cars, you don't TRAILER them!

My ONLY hangups are a possible conflict with the Texas Spring Meet AND "which one do I bring?" Sorry, I'm a Texan and things HERE take priority. That's not an absolute NO, just have to see what will work.

There are LOTS of people I'd like to meet that are going to be there, according to what I read.
:)

·
335 Posts
I've got it penciled in on my schedule, this will be my first year.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you're including the Sportwagon in your signature! Kind of an acknowledgement of sorts . . .
Yea, well, I see it every night when I get home. There it is, sitting right out in front of the house, next to the Lexus' parking spot on the driveway. I have to admit, it's getting more attention because of its visibility than the GT these days. Even if Myrna asked (politely, but firmly) for me to buy a car cover for it. Heck, we might have neighbours that think I have an Audi wagon or some other exotic car under the cover!

And it's getting a lot more money spent on it as well. There's lots of neat stuff for Asconas on eBay. I just scored a set of like-new tail-lights for it, and I bought the clutch set, a set of NOS big brake calipers, a pair of Brembo big brake drilled and radiused rotors, a new speedo cable, a Pertronix and cap/rotor, and a bunch of other stuff for it already. Now, if I can just get that guy who is selling the NOS fan clutch to drop the starting bid...

But back to the topic at hand. Hmm, Calisle 2004.... Myrna opened up the Rand McNally Atlas to see where it was. We've never been to D.C. so maybe there's a vacation tie here somehow

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
kwilford said:
. . .

. . .

But back to the topic at hand. Hmm, Calisle 2004.... Myrna opened up the Rand McNally Atlas to see where it was. We've never been to D.C. so maybe there's a vacation tie here somehow
Yeah, definitely lots of things to see. Say hi to the Prez for me if you happen to see him. Might think about Philly area too . . . Valley Forge, King of Prussia, Paoli, Conshohocken, Skuylkill . . . lots of stuff there too. Had an office in Paoli many, many years ago. Then there's Gettysburgh . . . I could go on, but you get the idea.

If you decide, let me know.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
tekenaar said:
Yeah, definitely lots of things to see. Say hi to the Prez for me if you happen to see him. Might think about Philly area too . . . Valley Forge, King of Prussia, Paoli, Conshohocken, Skuylkill . . . lots of stuff there too. Had an office in Paoli many, many years ago. Then there's Gettysburgh . . . I could go on, but you get the idea.

If you decide, let me know.
Hey, if you are in the Philly area, we have a couple of Local Opels(i'm only 20 minutes away from the Valley Forge area). We are scheduling a getogether this spring, You are more than welcome

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
Reservations were a snap!

I told the clerk I wanted to make reservations for May 21-23 & his response was, "Are you from that Opel Group?"

Took my Name, Asked me what kind of room I wanted & that was it. No Phone Number, No CC, No Nothing, but apparently I now have a room.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
:D

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
"Exotic Car"???

".....Heck, we might have neighbours that think I have an Audi wagon or some other exotic car under the cover!"

Hey Keith - True story: Last summer I had the wagon out of the garage for a couple weeks with a cover over it. One day I was cutting my grass and I see this guy in a Volvo driving by 3 or 4 times and he slows down and looks with every pass. Then he finally pulls in my driveway and asks, "For years I've been looking for a rare model blah blah blah Volvo wagon. It looks like you've got one under that cover. What is it???" I told him it was an Opel Sportwagon and he says, "Wow...I remember those...can I take a look?" He looked at it and says, "Wow I like that...that's even nicer than the blah blah blah model Volvo wagon...where can I find one of those?" I told him they occasionally come up on Ebay and then we stood there talking about Opels for 20 minutes. His eyes popped when I opened the garage and showed him my Manta. When he left, he said..."I'm gonna have keep my eye on Ebay and see if I can find me an Opel. I forgot how nice they were!!" That day I think I made an Opel convert out of a Volvo driver!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,754 Posts
I get that a lot here too. There is a local car show, in Snellville, at the first of May, "The Orphan Car Show" I have pics of last years in my album here. I'm just about the only Opels that show up, but, the reaction is always the same. "I remeber Opels, wish I still had it" "My (relative, i.e., sister, brother, uncle, aunt, grandparent) had one was a great little car, too bad we sold it" But, most always remember the GT, and quite a few remember the Manta and the Wagons.
http://www.opelgt.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1119/password//sort/1/cat/500/page/1

·
335 Posts
Rooms are going quickly. I just called to make a room reservation with the Opel group and was told all 20 room were gone. They still had other rooms for now but sounds like we are going to have a great turn out. It won't pay to wait too long if you want to make a reservation! Good Show Gary!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts