Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Well, the turkey is a memory, and the Christmas decorations are back in the box for another year.....so, before we know it, Carlisle will be next week and there will still be a sh*t load of work to do on the car before the trip to PA...

One of my New Year's resolutions was to try(!) to be more organised...so I figured I'd start the Carlisle 2005 thread nice and early...last year was a record turn-out, but I think we are still building momentum, so with a little effort from the list, a gentle nudge here and there, and a good boot in the backside for the real procrastenators :eek: (sp?), let's make this year the best yet.
First up, accommadation, here's the place:

APPALACHIAN MOTOR INN
1825 HARRISBURG PIKE
CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA 17013
(717) 245-2242

Next, the date: May20-22 2005

And a link to the Carlisle site:
http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/schedule/import/index.asp

So, now no-one has any excuses that they didn't get plenty of notice :D

That will do for tonight, get the ball rolling so to speak....
Needless to say I'm already looking forward to May...good beer and great friends...

Mod edit: Rionart booked 30 rooms. Rate is $85.00/night and we have the conference room. Call during daytime hours for reservation under the "Opel Group".

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
dont think ill be able to make it out there till maybe next year its to hard to do a 2623 mile drive in just 4 days 5 at the most, damn work and school hopefully ill get to make it out there next year it sounds like yah all have a great time though.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
You guys beat me to it. I just received the 2005 schedule from Carlisle this past weekend and I was going to start a thread :p

See you there on Sat in May!!

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Guess I need to work on the turbo Manta project again....

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
" if you build it people will come"

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Bob, how about you and "nobody" building both your turbo projects and have them there. Now that would be one helluva drawing card. ;)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
namba209 said:
Bob, how about you and "nobody" building both your turbo projects and have them there. Now that would be one helluva drawing card. ;)
I think I remember "someone" giving sage advice about not setting finish dates or deadlines when it came to building Awsome Opels??? :p

Must renew my pasport ........ :D

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
GTJIM said:
I think I remember "someone" giving sage advice about not setting finish dates or deadlines when it came to building Awsome Opels??? :p
I must chime in here...deadlines suck! I burnt myself out on that turbo project last year. All the parts are sitting there waiting to be assembled and put in the car, but I somehow keep managing to walk around that particular parts pile every day, and instead would rather work on the brutally ugly but loveable 'Turd' rallycar instead. Maybe it's just me....?

Bob

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Nope!

RallyBob said:
Maybe it's just me....? Bob
Just got to hope that the Opel "Burnout" Club means ..... TYRE SMOKE!! ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Bob;
Just like when one goes to pick out a puppy in the pet shop, rather than taking the pure-bred, EVERYONE loves and goes for the "mutt" :D

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok as for my turbo project I can say that 05 is a no way 06 is extremely slim and 07 doesn't look good. I may have it built sooner but it's too big for a carry on. You guys have to remember from Colorado running a hybrid motor car to carlisle is not that easy. I'm not sure if I'd take the 2.0 there without a designated bond me out person. I can see it now. It would look like the blues brothers pulling into chicago. A turbo on nitro methane would be a draw but I just don't think either motor on a long road trip with a lead footed driver is a good plan. I'm thinking about flying in just to see the car.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
O.K. Jim, "Touche`", you got me on that one. You're right Bob deadlines, schedules are only for the real professional scheduled airlines, USAF. We had a +5 minutes/-0 minutes window for scheduled takeoff, traveling along at 2194 MPH, the pilot could always slow down, but going faster to make up time was a tad hard to do. :D

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
RallyBob said:
...but I somehow keep managing to walk around that particular parts pile every day, and instead would rather work on the brutally ugly but loveable 'Turd' rallycar instead. Maybe it's just me....?

Well, there is a possible solution to this problem, bolt the Turbo motor into the Turd, and then take the 2.2 with the Mikunis and put that in the silver Manta, then the motor currently in the Turd can go in the brown sedan. Then the Turd can make an appearance at Carlisle with new suspension and turbo. Furthermore, the Turd can then roll over to the road course and embarrass all challengers. Of course that puts a shiny motor in a dirty car, and a dirty motor in a shiny car. This also doesn't eliminate the certainty of a getrag 240 or 265 going *poof* the first time the car hooks.

This is all real easy for me to say, I'm going to be there without my GT barring a miracle. I have a turbo Eclipse that I could get together before then, but time and finances are not abundant enough for me to get my GT there. Of course, I'd rather not field a car than field a non-Opel.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
*cough* *COUGH*

http://www.syracusenationals.com

Maybe now that I have a job again I can make plans to show off like we never have showed off before!

July 15, 16, 17

I can maybe even reserve a whole section just for us since this is pretty much an open park it anywhere you can type event.

Some pics even at my page from a few years ago www.ddz.net/albums

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Deadlines and Turbo's...

I walked around my shop last night...mentally compiling the list and sequence of jobs to be completed before I can move either of this years Carlisle candidates in to a work bay....and it's like walking up to an elephant with a spoon and thinking "sure...one bite at a time....who are they kidding!!"
If....and it's a HUGE if, the Broadspeed comes down, it will be pretty much "as is" out of 11 years in the barn....and the little voice in my head (well, one of then!) says the car deserves a much better introduction than this....
The i200 is the other candidate, but most of you have seen it already, and although I have some upgrades planned, I don't want to bring it back looking like it hasn't been touched in 2 years...let's see if the parts arrive from UK in time...and I have the small issue of a possible cracked head on it :eek:
So...even with a good 4 months of pre-planning....I can see Bob and Charles giving me grief for showing up Manta-less.... :(
The joys of having too many cars.....and having to work on other people's to pay for your too many cars.....

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Rob;
just head down to the local pub and knock back a few and it'll all sort itself out..lol :D

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmmmmm......beeeeer......D'oh, can't at work!! (just as well for the flying public really!)
Thanks Gene,....now it's going to be a long day in the office...... :D

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Rionart said:
If....and it's a HUGE if, the Broadspeed comes down, it will be pretty much "as is" out of 11 years in the barn....and the little voice in my head (well, one of then!) says the car deserves a much better introduction than this....
In truth Rob, a 'before and after' appearance of the Broadspeed Manta would be even better for this car.

For example, as rough as it appeared, I enjoyed seeing the Car and Driver turbo Ascona that Craig brought to Carlisle. Makes the restoration all that much more interesting, n'est pas?

Bob

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hear you Bob, it justs hurts me to have the car looking so bad after being it's custodian all this time...the joys of working abroad!!
I'll make a decision nearer the time as to who goes on the trailer for the trip down....

1 - 20 of 347 Posts