Opel GT Forum banner
141 - 160 of 179 Posts

· Opeler
1,704 Posts
One of the best or most interesting and certainly the most wackadoodle cars at the show: A custom designed car whose base look is that of a Morgan 3-Wheeler, but which was entirely designed and made from scratch with all sorts of kooky mods. Harley engine, Indian motorcycle fenders, etc. The guy studied how to bend wood and made this boat tail creation as his first project:
Looks sorta like a Farmall tractor was rear-ended by a Chris Craft speed boat.:D

· Opeler
800 Posts
What a great time my wife Karen and I had this year. Not only was is great to finally get my car back out but equally thrilling to meet old and new friends. Thanks to everyone for the good words and compliments on my yellow GT. Here are a few pics of the event.

P.S. the yellow super car was my choice the car I would most like to take home!

Attachments

· Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,822 Posts
Although everyone was a winner today, some took home some hardware. Here is the list of trophy winners:
If I have misspelled your name, please correct it or contact me and I will correct it for you.

Best In Show: PJ Romano

Best Opel GT: Mike Pilkenton

2nd Place Opel GT: Kyler Norman

Best Kadet/Manta: Jim Erecson

2nd Place Kadet/Manta: Charles Goin

Most Unique Award: Dieter

People’s Choice Award: Ron Mattern

2nd Place People’s Choice Award: Roy Bell

Tom Cavataio Spirit Award: PJ Romano

Congratulations to all!
You misspelled Kadett. Not acceptable. :no::no::no:

So, I just made it home. The weather started great this morning, foggy when we left at 6am, but the sun came out and was our steady copilot until ... I crossed back into GA. Rain, rain, and more rain. One time, it was so extreme that literally everybody just stopped on the middle of I-85. You could not see an inch past the windshield. So although the bad forecast and the rain on Saturday morning, the weather was not too bad this year. We've had worse than this!

Dieter

3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Back home safely after ten hours drive. Cloudy up north but no rain.
Very proud to receive two awards for the GT but I am privileged and deeply touched that my name will be on the Opel Spirit award.

Attachments

· Can Opeler
4,116 Posts
I’m still driving back! I drove 8hrs today. I have one more 8hr stint tomorrow and then it will be a short 5hr drive home the next day:)

I’m very excited that I won 2nd place GT! It was very nice to meet all of you and I had a great time despite the cold wet weather.

I found some cool Opel brochures in a antique store near Springfield Ohio! They are ones I’ve never seen! One of them is a 1970 Opel Kadett paint chips booklet! I’ve seen the GT one posted before but never a kadett one. The 3 brochures I bought (kadett, manta, 1971 Opel) are dealer copies with “Shannon Buick Co. Dayton Ohio” stamped on them.
I’ll post some PDF of them when I get home! I’ll post lots of Carlisle pictures too! I also have some pictures taken on my nice 50s film SLR camera of everyone’s cars. When I get those developed I’ll post too!

· Administrator
10,419 Posts
It's looking really unlikely that we'll have a group ride today and who knows what the weather will do on Saturday afternoon, which would be the most likely time we would go for a drive.
The plan for next year is awards at 2:00, cruise at 3:00. Carlisle events also has a cruise map available.

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,656 Posts
Might I add this alternative option:

A 60-90 minute drive first thing in the morning at, say, 8 or 9am on Fridays and/or Saturdays.

We could all then arrive en masse at the showfield around 10am. After a whole day of baking in the sun or wallowing in mud or standing/walking/talking all day, most people appeared to be anxious to get back to the hotel at the end of the day.

I took my drive at 8am and it was wonderful. Very little traffic on the road at that hour, too.

Nothing says that everyone would have to drive their car solo. Those that drove a long way and were sick of driving or who didn't want to get their cars dirty could just ride along as the navigator/photographer with someone who is driving their car. Honestly, the drive I went on was so scenic and pretty that those who drove their normal cars to the show would find it well worth driving.

I'm game to lead people on a simple drive, like I did, any ole time and multiple times per day. As Gary said, Carlisle offered large map hand outs of a cruise that people could go on. My drive was the first 1/3 of that route. I grabbed 30 copies for us. I'll post pics of it.

· Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,822 Posts
Sorry Gary, Birthday and all, but I like Gordo's suggestion. Friday or Saturday, but in the morning.

Dieter

· Opel Key Master
5,586 Posts
I had some battery issues with my truck, but nothing I couldn’t work out with Uber and my jump box that I left in the trailer at the fairgrounds. I think I’m going to go bigger next year on the vendor section. Talked with a guy that can get me a big tent, then I don’t have all the setup, just bring tables. I had fun, got the 2.5 PJ Spec engine home in one piece, thanks to all the heavy lifters

Attachments

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,656 Posts
Here's pics of the cruise route hand out map that Carlisle provided:

Map Text Atlas Line World
Map Text Line Drawing
Text Wall Drawing Line Pink
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Lighting Auto part
Wall Text Line Map Drawing
Text Font Document Paper

Woo-hoo! My car is in the Carlisle calendar!:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Race car

Nooo, that's not it. Look closer.......

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Red

Nope, even closer.......

Motor vehicle Red Vehicle Mode of transport Car

That's the wing and rear end of my GTX and the wing and rear end of my Das Boot trailer and the wing and rear end of my Baby Baron kiddee car sitting on top of the trailer!

:lmao:

· Opeler
800 Posts
I really wish the weather would have allowed a road trip Gordo, after all driving our cars is the most fun next to hanging out with everyone. By the way my wife and Kyler's girlfriend Mckenzie (sp?) were discussing why all the men insisted on spending hours standing in the hotel parking lot talking about cars....in the rain. Yes, we are strange people! I told Karen it was because we wanted to be next to the cars!

· Opeler
800 Posts
Reactions: Knorm65 and Gary

· Opeler
800 Posts
Yup. That`s my car on the calendar.
Pete
Love that front air dam! But I must admit I am biased as I created that air dam for OGTS back around 1998. At that time Gil only had the two California styles which had the openings for the single and dual rectangular fog lights. I likes the air dam style but not the fog lights. I convinced Gil that he needed a version which allowed the stock ROUND Opel lights to be retained. Gil agreed and gave me a complete fiberglass air dam and belly pan of which I mounted up on a large piece of plywood and wood framing, cut out the middle and reshaped it to fit around a stock belly pan. I did all the initial fiberglass work and then we took it down to his fiberglass shop to make a mold. I got the first production part which I put on my V6 GT (picture below). It's a real honor to see this product show up on many cars.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.