Opel GT Forum banner

Will you be attending the 2020 Opels at Carlisle Show?

• Yes, and keep it as always

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, make it low key

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, I will not be able to attend

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
10,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the ever-changing status of the pandemic, I am leaning toward having a lean event this year. Lean meaning no awards or parts auction which would put a lot of people in close proximity. We can still gather in small groups on the show field, visit the exhibits and Vendor field.

I don't think we will get the number of participants we had in past years and we could save the funds for next years 2021 National.

I'm open to feedback. What are your thoughts?

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,051 Posts
Well, back about 4 month ago when it was moved to August, all I was thinking is that it will be regular life again in summer time. By now, I'm getting less and less enthusiastic about going up in August, specifically if the meeting is becoming a small one but I still have the same 800 mile drive. I was forced to take half of my annual vacation already, as part of guaranteeing that I keep my job. I'm inclined to pass on any car shows this year.

Dieter

·
Opeler
434 Posts
I'm totally excited about seeing the cars and all the Opel community but like others I'm so discouraged by this COVID crap and how it is impacting every part of our lives! I registered for the event for May and obviously that transfers to Aug but I have not decided 100% if I'm going. Depends on how many of us really will go? I don't really care about the Carlisle event but just hanging out with the Opel community.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,246 Posts
I really don't like hot weather with humidity. I treat Summer like most people treat Winter: Stay inside until it goes away. I usually don't go to car shows in June/July. If temps were moderate with low humidity I was going to consider day tripping there on Saturday. That decision would be day to day. I go to a lot of car shows normally, I don't go to ones without trophies. That's the carrot on the stick for me and why I work so hard on my car's appearance. I have the chance to attend the very first car show of the season this weekend here in New Jersey. I'm going to do a drive by to see how the social distancing thing is managed, if unacceptable I'll turn around a drive home and be happy to have taken my car for a drive. I talk profusely with all of you guys every day between here and Facebook, so I'm not missing out on any commeraderie. It's a long drive for Gary and he's doing much of the organizing, along with others, but if we're going to downsize the event, then it seems like a good idea to save the money for next year's Nationals.

Idea: We don't HAVE to have the event at Carlisle Fairgrounds, we could have it at the hotel most of us stay at. For me, the best part of Carlisle isn't Carlisle, it's the Friday night in the parking lot at the hotel that's the most fun by far. Those who want to go to the fairgrounds to look at the other schitty brands of cars can do so if they want. It would be cheaper with no tent to rent. We could go inside the hotel if it rains. There would be far less risk of being infected by others if we had our own private car show. We would still have a central location to meet that we're all familiar with driving to and we could even go for a group ride much easier.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,111 Posts
I don't have a horse in this race but my 2 cents on the state of things, everyone's better off not going. Save your funds and wait for a better year. The virus hasn't run its course and I just read an article that it's more than just a respiratory illness. It attacks all your organs and your brain. People who got the the virus and recovered, actually haven't made a full recovery. Doctors are starting to research the long term impact of the virus on patients who are still weak more than month after getting out of the hospital. This virus is doing a lot of damage on organs and on your brain if you get it and suffer from it. We shouldn't forget the really high rate of recovery for those that get it, but there are still some serious health risks to want to avoid. Why take the risk? For a car show? I don't see the logic in that.

2020 has been a horrible year. It's the poster child for Murphy's Law. I know the economy needs people to try and carry on but for events... why take the additional risk?

Start planning for 2021 and make it a big celebration. A celebration of life, of Opelers that aren't with you anymore, and getting past the bulk of the virus's problems. Make it an event to remember, kind of like the 50th was for the GT. And I believe the Manta should get a proper 50th.

·
Administrator
10,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As of today, I'm planning on going.
I am reaching out to Carlisle events to see if we can get the tent, tables and chair that we already paid for credited to next year. We are still eligible for the smaller tent at no cost.

·
Opeler
434 Posts
Idea: We don't HAVE to have the event at Carlisle Fairgrounds, we could have it at the hotel most of us stay at. For me, the best part of Carlisle isn't Carlisle, it's the Friday night in the parking lot at the hotel that's the most fun by far. Those who want to go to the fairgrounds to look at the other schitty brands of cars can do so if they want. It would be cheaper with no tent to rent. We could go inside the hotel if it rains. There would be far less risk of being infected by others if we had our own private car show. We would still have a central location to meet that we're all familiar with driving to and we could even go for a group ride much easier.
Now that is executive thinking right there. Matter of fact we don't even have to meet at Carlisle? Probably too much to ask about another location that might be suitable and central to all members but how about maybe later in Sep and someplace that might offer some scenic drives? Maybe closer to the Appalachian mountains, maybe around Frostburg or Cumberland MD? I don't know about you guys but an actual cruise route would be a blast! Better than looking at the other schitty cars at Carlisle! LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts