Opel GT Forum banner

Are you planning to attend?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
588 Posts
That is a good 10 or so hours for me as well, so not planning on going. However have plans to attend the Charlotte, NC show in the spring. Only 3.5 hour drive from Mount Pleasant, SC.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,346 Posts
That is a good 10 or so hours for me as well, so not planning on going. However have plans to attend the Charlotte, NC show in the spring. Only 3.5 hour drive from Mount Pleasant, SC.
We normally go up in a convoy, where us Southern Boys from Atlanta meet our NC buddies just North of Charlotte, NC, and then continue on. Riding together like this takes quite some boringness out of the ride, or, if you don't want to bring a GT, you might get a passenger seat with someone else.

Dieter

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am along the I74 corridor in Eastern Illinois. Any other midwestern guys thinking of going to this? A convoy would make it nice.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,129 Posts
I would love to go to this, but its a 10.5hr ride for me :( Not sure if the wife is up for that kind of adventure.
It's the Nationals this year. The BIGGEST of our Nationals gatherings. We get 2-3 times as many attendees as the other Nationals in other parts of the country. Over 100 Opels at the last one.

Don't want to do 10 hours in your GT? Drive 5 and stay at a hotel and check out some place along the way.

EVERYONE has to come!

The Opel Police will show up at your door and force you to get in your car and drive there.

:)

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I will try my best to be there just to meet people!
I usually take about this time of year for my Air Gun Addiction and attend those meets but those seem to be a no go this year.
Granted I won't have my GT on the road but would still like to meet people.

·
Super Moderator
3,172 Posts
If you are going, the Opel Hotel will be the Comfort Inn. If you look it up, it's called "Comfort Inn, PA Turnpike - I-81 in Carlisle". The address is: 77 Shady Lane, Carlisle, PA 17013.
Phone number is: (717) 706-3400.

I stayed here last August and it was pretty nice and large enough parking lot. Also, closer to the snowfield. I made my reservations for 2021 as I checked out and the rate was $99 per night.

Not too sure how many rooms have been set aside. Maybe Charles can chime in more on this...

Hope to everyone there and be safe!

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
588 Posts
It's the Nationals this year. The BIGGEST of our Nationals gatherings. We get 2-3 times as many attendees as the other Nationals in other parts of the country. Over 100 Opels at the last one.

Don't want to do 10 hours in your GT? Drive 5 and stay at a hotel and check out some place along the way.

EVERYONE has to come!

The Opel Police will show up at your door and force you to get in your car and drive there.

:)
The convoy idea sounds kind of neat - perhaps I will rethink that - I was on 81 this past spring and that is a zoo these days. Is that the general idea interstate the whole way? Not sure I could handle the OPEL Police either so that is a major consideration......................

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
It would be a 48 hour ride for me. :(

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Ouch. Do it!!!
I've done the drive with an Opel GT wannabe. It was a 74 Ford Pinto. I was considerably younger then.
I did 2400 miles in 47 hours from start to stop and that included burning up my battery and hunting down a new one in Bumblefrack UTAH on a SUNDAY.
Only had a speedometer for @ 10 seconds. Found out we were doing 80 in Nebraska.

Not to muck up this thread too much but I had, literally, just put an engine in the car. I got the engine from a car dumped at the side of the road after being stripped. I had the small engine and swapped in the 2000cc. Everything from the radiator to the rear axle was swapped out in 2 days. Never thought the battery tray needed to be swapped. With the 2L the exhaust manifold was only a few inches from the battery. The small engine had the exhaust on the other side.

·
1,748 Posts
I am along the I74 corridor in Eastern Illinois. Any other midwestern guys thinking of going to this? A convoy would make it nice.
I am from Springfield IL and have made the drive to Carlisle several times. Kevin Fier from the Quad cities area also often does the trip. Some times my route is I72-I74-!70-I76. I often overnight near West Va. Vickie and Allen gage often host us folks from the west near Toledo OH, and then we all caravan in from there. I think they have had up to 18 folks in that group. If I bring the GT this year it will most likely be on a trailer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i thought about taking the truck/trailer but the tolls alone will be $60 one way. Thinking about just taking an extra day to enjoy the ride in the opel and grab a hotel halfway. On the other hand, tolls just for the car will be $30 one way and i run the risk of being stranded. hmmmm. I guess i really need to decide how much of an adventure i want to sign up for.🤪

Is there enough parking at the Comfort Inn for a big o truck n trailer?

edit - toll charges aren't as bad as i thought.

·
Super Moderator
3,172 Posts
Yes, there is definitely enough parking area for trailers.

Reactions: Gary

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
If you are going, the Opel Hotel will be the Comfort Inn. If you look it up, it's called "Comfort Inn, PA Turnpike - I-81 in Carlisle". The address is: 77 Shady Lane, Carlisle, PA 17013.
Phone number is: (717) 706-3400.

I stayed here last August and it was pretty nice and large enough parking lot. Also, closer to the snowfield. I made my reservations for 2021 as I checked out and the rate was $99 per night.

Not too sure how many rooms have been set aside. Maybe Charles can chime in more on this...

Hope to everyone there and be safe!
Roy,
I see the daily rates for our Opel dates at Carlisle are $119.... Are we booked as the OPEL Group with a discount??

·
Super Moderator
3,172 Posts
Roy,
I see the daily rates for our Opel dates at Carlisle are $119.... Are we booked as the OPEL Group with a discount??
Ask for the Opel discount. There is supposed to be a bunch of rooms set aside for us. If I’m not mistaken, Charles had set this up.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts