Opel GT Forum banner

Are you planning to attend?

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

Opel Rallier since 1977
But what about the people who have received the Covid-19 vaccinations, like myself? Seems as long as you have your proof of vaccination, you should be OK. The same with a test showing you are negative within 72 hours.
Yes, you would be 90-95% likely to be immune and so very, very unlikely to be a 'vector' to infect others. So from a purely individual epidemiological standpoint, you are absolutely spot on. Now I hope the moderators will tolerate me for going in with the following:

To get a 'free pass out of corona jail' with the vaccination is IMHO highly unlikely to ever happen anytime in the next 8-12 months..... not until everyone has had the chance to get the vaccine. The reason is purely political, not epidemiological. (No, not D vs. R, but the way the elected officials and disease control specialitists will view this.)

For you or I to get a 'free pass out of corona jail' from a vaccine administered early in this long vaccination process would immediately raise a great hue and cry of unfairness from those who are lower down on the priority list. If the free pass were allowed, then the logical prioritization of vaccinations to try minimize the deaths would then also grant a priveledge that others would not get, and would severely undercut the public's support of the idea that there should be any vaccination priority at all. If such a 'free pass' priveledge came with the vaccination, then the only fair way to do it is by lottery.... and that would not do the best job of quashing the disease the most quickly.

Better to expect a lifting of orders than a 'free pass' idea. (The only 'free pass' that will likley come with the vaccination is whatever you grant to yourself, IMHO.)

Super Moderator
I can understand the frustration of all this. BUT, the manufactures of the vaccines can only make it is fast as they can. So, by giving it to the most susceptible to the disease is the only logical way to give it out. So a lottery, in my opinion, would not be fair. The younger group needs to take more responsibility in protecting themselves and others. I went to a bar I frequent every Tuesday night (Taco Tuesday) where the people were wall to wall. Got out of there fast. The younger people just seemed to not care that night or they were in denial. (Gary knows the place!馃榿)

Anyway, if you have had the shots, then come on to the Opel Nationals this year! If you haven't, come on but just be responsible. No problem at all.

Opeler
Ok, working on my registration on the Carlisle site and have some questions, so please forgive my ignorance.

Here are my assumptions if I will be trailering my GT and want to be considered for awards:

I need to register for the 2021 Carlisle Import & Performance Nationals Judged Showfield.

I have a reservation at the hotel, so I do not need a camping spot.

I will need to reserve a trailer parking spot.

Class 110 - European - EURO - Other

Opels at Carlisle for the car club?

Appreciate the assistance.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Ok, working on my registration on the Carlisle site and have some questions, so please forgive my ignorance.

Here are my assumptions if I will be trailering my GT and want to be considered for awards:

I need to register for the 2021 Carlisle Import & Performance Nationals Judged Showfield.

I have a reservation at the hotel, so I do not need a camping spot.

I will need to reserve a trailer parking spot.

Class 110 - European - EURO - Other

Opels at Carlisle for the car club?

Appreciate the assistance.
The "Judged showfield" is by Carlisle Events. If you sign up for that, you may be placed in a different location. We have our own awards and special indoor display along with the regular Opel showfield right outside the building.

Opels at Carlisle is the club to register under

There is space available at the hotel for trailer parking if you don't want to pay the Fairgrounds fee.

I am toying with the idea of having a special "People's Choice" award voted by spectators passing through the indoor display.

Just Some Dude in Jersey
Charlie just got 10-15 more rooms at the primary Comfort Inn hotel and me and 2 other guys just snagged 3 of them. Act NOW if you want to get a room:

Comfort Inn
77 Shady Lane
Carlisle PA 17013
717-706-3400
Special group code: ZL20P8(That's a zero, not and "O")
Opel Motorsport group(Erroniously listed as "Upper Motorsport")

The deal is for 2 nights: Fri-into-Sat and Sat-into-Sun. The 14th and 15th. $111 a night, $222 for both nights.

Opeler
I'm going to go ahead and reserve a room and see what happens between now and then regarding Covid. Vaccine supplies are low here in MI so there's not much chance I'll be able to get a shot soon despite being in the high risk group. As much as I want to go I won't if I don't feel its safe for me.

Opeler
I got two rooms! woohoo! Really looking forward to this year.

Reactions: Ooooner

Super Moderator
Since this is the Opel Nationals, let鈥檚 talk awards!

Other than the 鈥渦sual鈥 awards, do y鈥檃ll have any suggestions for awards you would like to see? Obviously we can鈥檛 do every award you guys suggest but there may be a couple that really would be cool to have.

I鈥檝e got to order the award in the next few weeks so the awards people can make and get the awards engraved.

Thanks!

Reactions: Gary

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
For those familiar with Carlisle's layout, we will be displaying in Building Y. Our showfield will be between Building T and Building Y! This is a prime area as Building T is where the manufacturer's displays are.

We are looking for a "Theme Name" for this event. Carlisle is offering to make stickers and a banner that highlights our three milestones happening this year and they would like to have a theme for them.
Like:
"Rallye in the Valley"?
A blitz with something?
The blitz with OPEL lettering?

Let's see some ideas!

Opeler
For those familiar with Carlisle's layout, we will be displaying in Building Y. Our showfield will be between Building T and Building Y! This is a prime area as Building T is where the manufacturer's displays are.

We are looking for a "Theme Name" for this event. Carlisle is offering to make stickers and a banner that highlights our three milestones happening this year and they would like to have a theme for them.
Like:
"Rallye in the Valley"?
A blitz with something?
The blitz with OPEL lettering?

Let's see some ideas!
Screenshot_20210209-204251_Drive.jpg

Just Some Dude in Jersey
Opels are colored like a bag of M+M's: "Opels! They melt in your mouth, not in your hand"

Opel - GM's red-haired step child

Opel - Every one knows someone who had one

Opel - Yeah, they look a lot like 'Vettes and Camaros

Opel - What's that?

Opel - Gosh they're cute!

Opel - There's one in every barn

Opel - 125 years of oil leaks

Opeler
I thought all Opel GTs were stock yellow.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

Super Moderator
I had one idiot come up to my GT years ago, walked around it like an old hillbilly, and said "Golly, is that one of them there Corvairs?". I just looked at him and said, "sure Is". Now, I don't have anything against hillbillies as they are fine people but DAMN.

Vendor
I had one idiot come up to my GT years ago, walked around it like an old hillbilly, and said "Golly, is that one of them there Corvairs?". I just looked at him and said, "sure Is". Now, I don't have anything against hillbillies as they are fine people but DAMN.
Ha! Roy, he may be thinking about one of these (yes, it really is a corvair)

Super Moderator
I have a serious doubt that鈥檚 what this dude was thinking about! 馃槀

Vendor
What is it with Corvairs and Opel GTs??? My dad had a 66 two door Corvair and a 69 Opel GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. I never met an other Opel guy who had a Corvair (or a Corvair guy who had an Opel) I wonder what the most common "non-opel" collector car is for folks that have more than one. (I'll start a new thread so not to totally derail this one)

Registered
1971 Opel GT
In the course of my restoration, I have decided to replace the exhaust system. I am hoping someone attending Carlisle will be able to use it. It has surface rust and appears in pretty good condition. I could deliver it to the hotel or somewhere other than the fairgrounds. I am looking for $40. The tubing from the header to the muffler is 2.5" OD. Out of the muffler is 2" OD. There is just a single exhaust with a pitted chrome extension.
IMG_6402.jpg IMG_6400.jpg IMG_6401.jpg

61 - 80 of 129 Posts