Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been up on the lift for 5-6 years now while I've been slowly rebuilding the entire front suspension. It is a '71 GT with only 30,240 original miles. I am the 2nd owner for the past almost 40 years. Still has original shiny orange paint. Going to definitely go to Carlisle this year with it. Last time was around 2012 I believe. Was wondering how many other Opelers intend on going this year. The dates are May 13 through 15. Looking forward to it this year. Just praying I finish it in time with a lot of Gil's help. lol. Frank

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,669 Posts

Dieter

·
Opeler
1,413 Posts
My car has been up on the lift for 5-6 years now while I've been slowly rebuilding the entire front suspension. It is a '71 GT with only 30,240 original miles. I am the 2nd owner for the past almost 40 years. Still has original shiny orange paint. Going to definitely go to Carlisle this year with it. Last time was around 2012 I believe. Was wondering how many other Opelers intend on going this year. The dates are May 13 through 15. Looking forward to it this year. Just praying I finish it in time with a lot of Gil's help. lol. Frank
Where are you from?

Karl

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,258 Posts
I'll be there.

This business of having the Nationals rotate around the country every 4-5 years really kills the attendance at our regional gatherings when they're not the designated Nationals. I think we should switch to having Regional Nationals, so that all 4-5 regional gatherings have the same importance every year. Only a handful of people have trailers or cars capable enough to drive hundreds or thousands of miles to get to the Nationals when they're on the other side of the country.

·
Administrator
10,355 Posts
This business of having the Nationals rotate around the country every 4-5 years really kills the attendance at our regional gatherings when they're not the designated Nationals. I think we should switch to having Regional Nationals, so that all 4-5 regional gatherings have the same importance every year. Only a handful of people have trailers or cars capable enough to drive hundreds or thousands of miles to get to the Nationals when they're on the other side of the country.
The theme of the Nationals event is "it's the one show to go to if you can only go to one".
The regional meets where the nationals rotate to are held each year (2x in Charlotte). The "big 3" are part of larger shows, Autofair, Carlisle Import Nationals, and RT 66 festival which makes them desirable for Opelers in that region. So technically, that can be your "Regional Nationals"

·
1,908 Posts
I think I have pictures of my GT on every nationals showfield in the country except Tacoma. It was a point of pride to me for it to make it to them under it's own power. Nowadays pride has given away to comfort. If I make any long trips now the GT will ride behind the truck. Most people unlike myself and a few others will make 1or 2 Nationals other than their closest local meet. Does this affect local turnout, sure. The thing is meant to let folks see how events are done in other areas. All events have a basic core group that will attend if it's at all possible. With geographical distance and timing such as it is these events seldom interfere with each other. Some who try a new venue may like it and attend more often but seldom give up on their local meet. I personally have made Carlisle multiple times and it is about a 14 hour drive one way for me. I hope to one day attend an event with 100 Opels. I doubt it will be in Springfield but so what. To finish up, some folks, Gil Wesson comes to mind, only make the Nationals in a year.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,631 Posts
Rooms are reserved for us at $109 a night Comfort Inn off I-81 same as last year.

Hotel will be the same as last year:

https://www.choicehotels.com/.../comfort-inn-hotels/pa693

Comfort Inn
77 Shady Lane
Carlisle, PA, 17013
Call them at (717) 706-3400
Group name is : Opel Motorsport
Group Code : VX26c5

Use the link below :
Hotel in Carlisle, PA | Comfort Inn® Official Site | Comfort Inn Pa Turnpike - I-81 (choicehotels.com)

To get the club rate of $109 a night
10 - Single King bed Rooms
20 - Double Queen bed Rooms
We have reserved this block for Friday and Saturday night

Reserve your room by April 13th.

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,669 Posts
I’m not going this year, with cost of fuel going crazy, it’s just not worth paying almost three times to get there and it not a National meet. I’m hoping Springfield in September the prices will be closer to normal to make it
I had similar thoughts, and definitely don't like the thought of spending up to a thousand $$$ for gas just to spend two days in Carlisle. This miserable thought did not outlast a single second.

Hotel - 300 Dollars.
Gas - 1,000 Dollars.
Seeing my Opel family in Carlisle - F'ing PRICELESS!!!

See y'all there!

Dieter

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The fuel price sucks but that won't deter me. I see this as the payoff for not having a classic car with a big V8. I understand the trailering folks will suffer. That's one more reason to drive your Opel instead.

Bill
I'm at least 8 hrs away. Charlotte is a 1 and 1/2 hrs and my back is shot from that drive. 8 hrs away, I'D roll out and have to crawl until I could pull myself up. Lol:rolleyes:

·
Can Opeler
3,937 Posts
Put better seats in your GT and the back pain will go away. No lumbar support. Oem GT seats were designed by devil worshipping chiropractors to increase their business.

:ROFLMAO:
Lies! The GT seats are super comfy. I’ve though about making an office chair out of one. Now my Tacoma’s seats destroy my back on road trips lol.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,669 Posts
I'm at least 8 hrs away. Charlotte is a 1 and 1/2 hrs and my back is shot from that drive. 8 hrs away, I'D roll out and have to crawl until I could pull myself up. Lol:rolleyes:
Wanna ride shotgun in my truck?

Dieter

Reactions: soybean and Ooooner

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Thanks Dieter, got room for another Gt? I and my Gt would like to make Carlisle at least 1 time. Trying to find a trailer to haul her on.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts