Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1971 GT
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anyone out there has used the Carter fuel pump that is listed as a replacement for the GT? They are available new at the local parts dealer.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
when i called for a fuel pump, they listed a carter and a federal mougal. i took the federal mougal, because it would be faster to get, but my dad has a carter fuel pump on a 355 SBC, and it has been doing fine for the past 6 years.....

·
Opeler
56 Posts
fuel pump

saw your posting; we met last year at the Castlegar show. I have the other '71 GT in Trail. I pulled the electric fuel pump out of my car because I want to get back to a stock appearance. The electric works fine and it's yours if you want it.

This is an after market pump that was bolted onto the wheel well. Call me so we can chat about 2 opels for sale in our area.

Lonnie Gladdish

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
I moved this thread from the "Canadian Opel Club" to the "Fuel System" heading, but it REALLY should be placed in it's own special spot. The "Trail, B.C. Opel Club"! TWO Opels in Trail? That's got to be some kind of "per capita" record, short, of course, Kat's five (5!) Opels in Leduc, Alberta. Hey, when are you two going to form a caravan (Opel insider joke) and come out to Calgary? We are having a Vintage Sports Car Club car show in September, and two more Opels would be quite the sight.

·
Opeler
56 Posts
caravan

hey, a caravan sounds like a good idea.... I have a lead on a couple of GT's for sale (close enough to be just down the street). Add a couple of the GT's that are in Kelowna and we might upgrade to a convoy.

Anybody have the time to give me the quicky lesson in the differences in the fuel pumps between the various years of the GT?

·
1971 GT
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iv'e got the Carter pump now so I'll let you know how it performs. The first drawback that I see is that it is a sealed unit so there is no access to clean the bowl or filter.

·
1971 GT
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wyn,

The Carter pump is mechanical. I direct bolt-on replacement for the stock one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In case you never got any feedback on your question of where to mount it, thought I would reply. When I made that switch I asked and was told to mount it under the car, specificly under below the tank. Well my hard headedness said no, and I mounted it up under the hood, about where the coil sits. These pumps push fuel, and do not pull it very well. Pulling fuel up out of the tank does not work very well, and I had all kinds of trouble and was eventually told "told you so" by several gurus. I remounted it in front of the rear axle, but low enough to be fed fuel out of the tank by gravity. It now works great and fuel flows exactly as advertised. I was concerned by the fuel filter never looking full, but I have run the pump with a pressure gauage and it reads correct, and I let it run from there into a bucket and it definetly flows at a good rate. I also have 3 fuel filters in place as these old tanks can get pretty cruddy and I do not want the pump or carbs to get plugged. Good luck.

·
GT Owner
396 Posts
Summit Racing carries a quiet pack for mounting the Carter fuel pump (and should easily work on others).
Basically it is 3 rubber mounts and recommends using rubber hose for 10" on the incoming side and 40" on the discharge side of the fuel pump.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
ogts mechanical

I thought my fuel pump was going out since the filter was not full of gas.I have replaced it with a new pump and it is the same way.So don't do as I did...unless you just want a new pump.

My old pump was fine but it had about 70,000 miles on it...so I wanted to replace it anyway.It is a mechanical pump.. I ordered it from OGTS..it was $37 and it was here in 2 days.OGTS sent me a nice instruction sheet which made it a breeze to install..plus I replaced all my lines while I was there.

The old pump was put on in 93..it was real well made and had a nice ,easy access screen..(mine had rust and debris in it).the new one is of a much lighter,stamped construction and is like some typical american throw away
item...for now I am just glad to keep Celeste in good running order..after all she has 211,00 miles on her.car runs awesome..
although a little gaasy smell when I park her hot.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts