Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my small contribution to the classic Opel repair/ restoration community.

How to replace missing/ degraded e-brake release button.

The e-brake release button disintegrated on my 1969 GT shooting the spring and remains of the plastic button into the dashboard. Not wanting to open a can of worms removing and finding a replacement brake handle assembly, I replaced the button in place.

The e-brake works by pressing the button that pushes a connecting rod that lifts a pawl off the teeth of the parking brake. The OEM button is plastic that is press fit onto the end of the connection rod. The connecting rod end has an arrowhead shape that fits into the OEM button. The basic repair process is to use epoxy to glue a replacement button to the connecting rod and the function is restored.

Here is the procedure:
1. Lube inside of brake handle to prevent epoxy from gluing the assembly solid. I used a q-tip with dielectric grease. To be safe I used a length of drinking straw (heat shrink tubing would work too) to keep the end of the connecting rod from being covered with grease, since I do not want to compromise the adhesion of the epoxy.
2. Grease a cotton ball, and stuff into brake handle, covering the small disc at the end of the connecting rod inside the handle. This step probably isn’t necessary if your epoxy mix is thick, but I wanted to take no chances. The greased cotton serves as a wadding to prevent the epoxy from running and gluing the entire brake assembly into one piece. The little vanity kit fm a hotel with q-tips and cotton is ideal.
3. Remove protective straw from connecting rod.
4. Replace spring in brake handle tube loosely.
5. Mix a batch of VERY STIFF epoxy resin. I always have West System lying around. Any two part epoxy should work as long as it will accept additives. If you are not sure mix a small trial batch first. Home Depot sells some decent high strength two part epoxy in a metering tube. As a filler I used West System 404 adhesive filler. Fine sawdust or talcum powder should work fine, if you don’t have dedicated filler lying around. Consistency of the mixed batch should be as thick as peanut butter.
6. Find suitable replacement button. I tried a couple of things, including dowels drilled with a center hole. The best fit turned out to be an 11 mm deep socket. Creative types could have fun with this step. Fine wood, acrylic(roughened or flame treated on the inside) ivory, maybe a carved crocodile tooth (Gordo?). The key is it has to fit inside the handle and have a center void that the epoxy glue will fill in to cover and capture the end of the connecting rod.
7. Tape outside of replacement button and pack with epoxy. Once packed remove the tape. Wipe up any epoxy on the outside of the button (in my case the socket).
8. Here is the tricky step because you only have one chance at it. With clean hands insert the replacement button into the brake handle tube as far as it will go. Have strong tape ready to hold the button in the depressed condition and tape it down. And walk away. It is important not to touch it, as any movement may hollow out a void around the end of the connecting rod and prevent the epoxy from capturing the end of the connecting rod, thereby preventing the joining of the button to the connecting rod. I used the black Gorilla gaffer’s type tape and hand no issues.
9. After the designated cure time, remove the retaining tape and your brake should be fully functional again.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top