Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Graham, there isn't a catalytic converter on ANY GT, let alone a '71. You might be referring to the front muffler (versus the rear resonator). That decision is one based more on tolerance to noise. By yourself, your neighbours, and the local constabulary.

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Graham said:
So how loud will it be?
Pretty loud. The front muffler is the only true acoustical baffling in the system, the rear resonator is simply a hollow cannister with no baffles or sound absorption capabilities.

HTH,
Bob

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
Run a search for my exhaust clip. It has stock sized pipe, no front muffler, but still has rear resonator. It doesn't seem to be too loud on my car, has a nice note to it. I'm not sure that my rear resonator is stock tho, has had rear end damage early in its life.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Eco-Friendly

Of course you could get all ecologically friendly and replace the front muffler with a nice low restriction, after market, catalytic converter ............ It would probaly act as a noise reducer too. ;)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Just a couple of things, catalytic convertors do not reduce noise too much, it's all I run on the monza and it's fairly loud and sounds nasty even with the single exhaust from the 350. Margaret made the comment, that it sounds a bit like the ricers with the coffee can exhaust, but with much more authority. Secondly, if you have the original resonator with the twin stingers, those stingers have baffling inside them. I took out those baffles some years ago before I trashed the original engine. With the front muffler and no baffles in the stingers it was a bit louder but not obtrusive IMHO. But then I wouldn't mind having no mufflers at all, but you gotta be environmental friendly with the neighbors as far as noise pollution is concerned. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Well, I hate to tell the seller this, but, he got hood-winked. The only Opels that had cats, were the 75 Mantas/Asconas that were based in California.

·
UngerDog
1,368 Posts
I saw the same listing. It reads "This car is very fast, and loves to be driven. It has a new catalytic converter and has passed Nevada inspection and emissions standards." In CA, 1973 or older cars are exempt from emission testing. In some parts of Nev. (Washoe and Clark Counties) testing is required for 1968 or newer vehicles in urban areas unless the car is registered as a classic. I would guess someone could install a small universal catalytic converted to help reduce emissions. Jerry

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
In CA, 1973 or older cars are exempt from emission testing. Jerry
Not quite true Jerry, they are just not required to have the bi-annual testing of newer cars. If you are tagged for an emissions check in a 75 or older car, you must have all the smog equipment, installed and functional, on the car as it was from the factory. Also, newer cars are not required to be smog tested until after they are 5 years old or if they are resold. Margaret's Montana will have its first smog check next year.

·
Non Civilian
2,102 Posts
Ron, this is a technicality. I have yet to hear of one person getting screwed like this. The only way I could see it happening would be royally pissing off a CHP or something.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
You're absolutely right. Although I have heard there are rolling sniffers that can determine if cars are gross polluters. I got this from a dog community friend that is an LA Sheriff, oh and from my daughter that works for the Sheriffs here. It was one of my concerns on doing the monza when Willit?'s done. My plan was to trash the 2-barrel carb and single exhaust, but now it looks like I'll have to go the same route as on Willit? and go with a computer controlled FI setup.

·
Non Civilian
2,102 Posts
The problem with screwing with auto enthusiast in CA, is the fact there are some very influential people in the media who enjoy their collector cars. Start jerking them around and the governor starts getting personal phone calls. Jay Leno seems to come to mind.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Quite true, but, smog equipment and testing only began in the 70's here and there were some 60's cars that needed aftermarket gadgets on them to bring them to the then current smog requirements. That started the hue and cry that resulted in the current laws that exempted cars 30 years and older from the 60s and 70s that did not have smog equipment originally. If it did have smog equipment installed, you're stuck with it. But then, most enthusiasts here have cars older than the 60s so they could care less.

·
TonyB
87 Posts
Universal Catalytic Converter

Ugermm wrote:

I saw the same listing. It reads "This car is very fast, and loves to be driven. It has a new catalytic converter and has passed Nevada inspection and emissions standards." In CA, 1973 or older cars are exempt from emission testing. In some parts of Nev. (Washoe and Clark Counties) testing is required for 1968 or newer vehicles in urban areas unless the car is registered as a classic. I would guess someone could install a small universal catalytic converted to help reduce emissions. Jerry

Ok, where would one install a universal catatlytic converter. I would not be against being greener with my Opel. How much would a catalylic converter reduce emissions ?

Thanks Tony

·
UngerDog
1,368 Posts
In general terms, 1973 and older cars are exempt from scheduled testing for emissions in CA. I don't know when the last time it was that CA rolled the date forward to include newer vehicles (i.e. vehicles 79 or older). Seems like 10 years have gone by with it still being the 73 year. I have 5 cars (years 87-96) in my name and they all get selected for the Test Only sites. But, what are the chances of that? I heard it was just a random sampling of 15-30% of older vehicles getting selected for Test Only sites. At this time, there are benefits to having to go to the Test Only sites though. I have sold one car back to the state for $1000 because it failed the emissions test at a Test Only site. Although it was a running car, I decided it wasn't worth fixing (nor was it worth $1000). Also, you can get state assistance for repairing cars that fail emission testing at Test Only sites. Just a few years ago, it would have cost about twice as much to have a vehicle tested at a Test Only site vs a site that could test and do repairs. Today, I can find places for just a few dollars more. Jerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.