·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Willy_g77;
I would just make my own wiring harness. The CD player is going to have a harness with it, you'll just be extending them to fit where you have placed the various components, i.e., the head unit, and the speakers. You can get rolls of the correct wire from Radio Shack, and whatever connectors and hardware you'd need.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
That looks like a reasonable setup. If it were me I would eliminate or at least move the stock fuse holder to a location that didn't require removing the dash to replace. From experience the pioneers need to be pretty precise for the din mounting hole you cut in the dash, if there is any bind at all they do stupid things. As for the speakers, you probably have holes in the back now for the 6x9's, but I can't think of a good spot for the 6.5's. They are meant for the doors, but Opel doors aren't meant for them. Use a good sized power wire, speaker wire and ground hookup. Bucky did a lycra trick over his back speakers that looked really sharp and he posted pictures here. I would also go to an audio shop and get a set of baffles. They are a foam cup for your speaker to sit in. They help eliminate any rattle and help push the sound where you want it to go. They also make a 10 dollar speaker sound like 20. Watch out for short outs in your wiring locations and tape over every splice.

A bit backwards but also look at your depth behind the dash, make sure it will fit before you cut.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
not another dash, please!

If your dash is currently stock, as far as the radio hole at least, let me or someone else swap you with one already cut out. I want an origional radio in my GT, but all of my "extra" dashes have the big hole cut in them for aftermarket radios and thay can't be fixed.

Good origional ones are getting harder to come by.

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
to oldopelguy: i have an original opel gt am 4 button radio. i don't think it works, but if you want it, we can talk.

as far as installing a pioneer radio...i just today made the cutout for mine, and everyone is right; the hole has to be perfect for the din mount to fit correctly. and unless your radio is unusually large, it should fit okay behind the panel where your old radio was. the one thing i would do different is to make the stock ground wire long enough to pull the radio out of the rack through the front of the panel. i tried to get mine out, but the stock wire won't allow it.

be careful, too, when you cut out the opening. i had to shave the lip at the bottom to be flush with the face so that the din mount would seat correctly (read flat or flush).

good luck.

mike

·
Opeler
36 Posts
oldopelguy,

I will check my dash tonight. If the hole in mine is original I'd be willing to do some sort of trade since I plan on butchering it or not using it at all. I'll let you know tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.