Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cen·sorship
/ˈsensərSHip/
Learn to pronounce

noun

1. 1.
    the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

FEEL FREE TO DELETE MY ACCOUNT. I WILL NOT BE CENSORED FOR A TRUTHFUL COMMENT WRITTEN IN ANY FORM !!

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
Just to feed a poss Troll

You agreed to a set of rules when you joined the group, If sticking to these rules is too hard the door is always open and we will miss you.

·
UngerDog
1,323 Posts
I don't know what Wilderbry posted that was offensive or in violation of the rules here. I do think that compared to other sites, this site is strict in enforcement of its Rules and Policies ...
"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violate any laws. You will also not begin or participate in any discussions regarding current legal action against any company."

I was censored when I was a young OpelGT.com pup for making a tongue-in-check smart arse post. Because I just used British slang, I sound less offensive. But, I still might have crossed the line here.

Our moderators are the best! I vote to double their pay, except for that one.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I do think that compared to other sites, this site is strict in enforcement of its Rules and Policies ...
That is a very accurate statement
On another site I was active on for a very very short amount of time I was shocked at the foul language and the demeaners and the attitudes of the members there.
I could not believe that the moderators there would allow this to go one even after asking.
So after the last childish foul mouth reply I told the person to grow up and seek Jesus. The MOD ( for what ever that's worth) finally came forth and said please leave religious comments to yourselves and not in this forum?
So I replied oh ok so I can't tell this idiot to go find Jesus but he or she can tell me to go to hell and call me a bunch of obscene names and use profanity's?
If this is the case I said that's fine close me out I won't be back.
This is the only site I will continue to be apart of.
And yes our mods are great!.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
I’m not sure what this thread is referring to. I know I take the idea of censorship very seriously. I almost censored someone’s post for including a political jab directed at a specific politician. I decided not to censor the post but I think it’s best to leave specific political commentary out of the forums. It’s fine to blast the whole political institution but it’s best to keep targeted politics outside of our group. That’s where I would draw the line on politics. For the most part, a religious comment isn’t a problem unless it’s pushing that religion onto people. And foul language, I think limited use is the way to go. A post with too much, needs to be edited. Of course, no tolerance for disrespecting other members.

I think most of the mods are of similar mindset. At least that is what I think. If a mod is censoring a post, chances are it was appropriate.

·
Vendor
3,053 Posts
I’m not sure what this thread is referring to. I know I take the idea of censorship very seriously. I almost censored someone’s post for including a political jab directed at a specific politician. I decided not to censor the post but I think it’s best to leave specific political commentary out of the forums. It’s fine to blast the whole political institution but it’s best to keep targeted politics outside of our group. That’s where I would draw the line on politics. For the most part, a religious comment isn’t a problem unless it’s pushing that religion onto people. And foul language, I think limited use is the way to go. A post with too much, needs to be edited. Of course, no tolerance for disrespecting other members.

I think most of the mods are of similar mindset. At least that is what I think. If a mod is censoring a post, chances are it was appropriate.
I thought that this site operated on the principle of "No Politics" (none) I hope that is still the case. I saw how that subject utterly destroyed another car site I used to hang out on. It was a shame, since it divided a community that was brought together by a common interest. As Baz stated above, it is not censorship to set and enforce ground rules as a condition for membership.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
I thought that this site operated on the principle of "No Politics" (none) I hope that is still the case. I saw how that subject utterly destroyed another car site I used to hang out on. It was a shame, since it divided a community that was brought together by a common interest. As Baz stated above, it is not censorship to set and enforce ground rules as a condition for membership.
Our rules don’t really spell out specifically what isn’t allowed. I think that is a problem. For the most part however, we’ve done fine with a general understanding of what would be unacceptable. I agree that getting into political discussions is a quick way to ruin a site, which is why I almost edited someone else’s post but I also take censorship very seriously so I decided not to in the end. I think that particular comment is still on here. It was recent.

I just found the post, and while I didn't wind up editing the targeted political comment, someone else did. So, I wasn't the only person. This thread has to do with wilderbry making a particularly negative comment directed towards Biden in the barn find thread. Politics has absolutely nothing to do with that thread, so it really wasn't needed. So, if wilderbry has a problem with his comment being edited to remove it, well then he needs to be more mindful of not making this site political. We're here for cars, garage ideas, RB's drool worthy garage, and humor.

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
I manage people for a living.
Moderating a forum is akin to managing people.

I have a rule I state during the initial interview.

"I am not concerned with what you think about politics, religion, or sexuality. I am concerned when anyone begins, or participates in, a polarizing topic of conversation. For this reason I ask that there's no discussion of politics, religion, or sexuality on company property or company time."

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
As far as I am concerned, websites are not arbiters of free speech. If they want to reprimand members for bad grammar, or any other reason, that is perfectly fine with me. That is not censorship. The misconception is that people seem to think websites/media are obligated to publish anything and everything people say.
Just because you say something doesn't mean everyone has to listen or record it for posterity.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
Well, censorship is whenever someone else restricts what you can say. So, wilderbry is correct that his post was censored. Censorship is needed even in a society that protects the freedom of speech, however. The misconception is that all censorship is wrong and unjust. Sometimes it is necessary to keep order, to protect something so all can benefit. Any forum I have ever been a member of, had moderators that had the task of keeping the forum civil, welcoming, and functioning. It's pretty common to see forums ban politics when the forum has nothing to do with politics. He is still welcome to rant on FB or another forum about his hatred for our current President. It's just not appropriate here. I would say this about any targeted political comment. Once we start letting people take their jabs, eventually it escalates. I was wrong to not censor his post when I almost did. I care deeply about censorship and I'm sure all mods do. It's not easy to balance what is in the best interest of the forum and freedom of speech sometimes. There will always be people who do not understand that and take it personally, that it's an attack on their freedom of speech. They are too caught up in themselves to see the bigger picture, that we are trying to keep the forum peaceful and welcoming.

Wilderbry is still welcome here, he doesn't even have a warning for the comment. He just needs to leave his politics at the [figurative] door.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I just read the "New Members Please Read" and I take note of the fact that "politics" is not specifically excluded. Perhaps the "New Members" thread ought to be revised so that specific subjects and comment types that are out of bounds be listed. Unfortunately this should not be necessary but in a society that has gravitated to the cover of anonymity, it becomes so. In addition, perhaps the website can be engineered so that any new member is forced to read the "New Members" thread and acknowledge reading it before posting. Just a suggestion.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
447 Posts
I have a rule I state during the initial interview.

"I am not concerned with what you think about politics, religion, or sexuality. I am concerned when anyone begins, or participates in, a polarizing topic of conversation. For this reason I ask that there's no discussion of politics, religion, or sexuality on company property or company time."
Pablo Picasso: Good artists copy, great artists steal.

I AM STEALING THIS! I will use it in all my interviews from now on.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
So I too, understand,
Although I don't post things about politics as a general rule
Am I to understand if the post was more referenced to the/a party as apposed to directly at a certain Politian or in this case the president it would have been ok?
Having said that We all as a nation and individuals have our own believes and feelings toward either side regardless of your affiliation or lack there of.
No matter who the president or party heading maybe we may not all agree with it. But I have always been in the boat of no matter if it's politics or on a personnel level.( with my personnel feels absent)
EVERYONE should have a fair chance to prove his or her self and that will speak for it's self.
They work out or they don't.
That will be all my comment on this /political topics

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
cen·sorship
/ˈsensərSHip/
Learn to pronounce

noun

1. 1.
    the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
After much contemplation, I just reread this..and I have to say a new understanding of it has come to me.
If you read it carefully, it clearly says, and I quote, "1.1".
So obviously it does not include the 1.5, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4 owners. Although I have no determination on owners that identify as modified 2.4, 2.5, 2.7 or 'other'.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,700 Posts
Am I to understand if the post was more referenced to the/a party as apposed to directly at a certain Politian or in this case the president it would have been ok?
I would say any comment that is targeted at a certain party or politician is not okay. A somewhat political comment I would see as being okay and above board, would be a comment that refers to a political intuition, like congress, as a whole and the inefficiency of our government. I removed the comment, but I compared the 1958 Devin roadster to what I would expect a kit car to look like if Congress designed it and that might be overestimating what Congress is capable of. In my view, this isn't a political comment but I took it down yesterday anyways just in case since we are discussing this issue. Using a general displeasure of our broken political system in a comment is very different from attacking a specific party or politician.

There is a political issue I'm sure you guys know about but I don't think it has been discussed here yet. I'm going to look into it and share that information if I don't find it. It's a political situation that does actually relate to our hobby and threatens motorsports. That topic is perhaps the ONLY topic in which discussing particular politicians is acceptable, however it would need to be monitored closely so it stays informative and constructive. If you aren't aware of this problem, I am going to post about it soon.

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
I would address freedom of speech separately but it's all part of the same philosophy.

Some believe that "freedom" means a person can do, or say, whatever they want without repercussions. Some believe that this freedom extends from the tip of their nose, around the earth to the back of their head.

They're wrong on both counts.

"Freedom" means that the government will not restrict you. It does, however, come with caveats.

Freedom exists ONLY on public property. NOT the property of others.
This freedom is ONLY afforded you as long as it does not infringe upon the freedom of others.

You see, freedom is a 2 way street. For one to be free, they must let others be free as well. To restrict one, is to restrict all.

Freedom also does NOT absolve you of repercussions from your actions.

And, as said, freedom doesn't exist on private property, whether or not the property is open to the public.

It was established, a very long time ago, that online forums are NOT public spaces. Therefore, there is ZERO expectation of "Freedom of Speech" and nobody has ever had their First Amendment Rights violated on a privately owned forum. Simply put, one has NO RIGHTS on a privately owned forum.

There's a simple resolve to anyone that feels their "rights" are infringed upon, in a privately owned forum. Log off and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm not sure why our friend got that upset
I've been ( censored) here before for one word and one word only, because I had no idea what language the person was talking/writing in
And I replied Hugh
I didn't feel I was being rude or offensive but humorous in my own way.
I question the decision as to why and then moved on.
There are times when what we type comes off totally different than if we were all together laughing it up and having a good time in person.

And there are times when the powers of authority are having a bad day and react unfavorably as well
It happens on both ends but at the end of the day we're ( I like to think) all friends and we all move forward

·
Über Genius
9,490 Posts
I'm not sure why our friend got that upset
I've been ( censored) here before for one word and one word only, because I had no idea what language the person was talking/writing in
And I replied Hugh
I didn't feel I was being rude or offensive but humorous in my own way.
I question the decision as to why and then moved on.
There are times when what we type comes off totally different than if we were all together laughing it up and having a good time in person.

And there are times when the powers of authority are having a bad day and react unfavorably as well
It happens on both ends but at the end of the day we're ( I like to think) all friends and we all move forward
We add our own inflection into how we read things.
If you "think" something is offensive, maybe it was, maybe your inner voice is.

I've told many, "If you think what I typed was offensive, it probably wasn't. If I want to be offensive, there won't be any thinking involved."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts