Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
After much contemplation, I just reread this..and I have to say a new understanding of it has come to me.
If you read it carefully, it clearly says, and I quote, "1.1".
So obviously it does not include the 1.5, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4 owners. Although I have no determination on owners that identify as modified 2.4, 2.5, 2.7 or 'other'.
1.6 & 1.7 CIH aren't included? :(

Harold

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,553 Posts
I got stuck living in Chicago airport for 3 days once, due to rainy weather shutting down Northeastern airports. Man, I might as well have been in Russia or China. I lost all my rights. If I complained too much they would lock me up. It was hard as heck to try to leave the airport premises. The only hotel on site was $350 a night. I was in it for 6 hours, left for my rescheduled flight, at 6am, it got cancelled, I couldn't get back in the room, and spent the next 2 days sleeping on chairs and floors. I finally had to roll the dice and took a flight to a city 200 miles south of Philly, which is 5 miles from my house, and rent a car to drive the 200 miles home. I have never felt so helpless and hopeless during that ordeal. I was totally at the airport's mercy and they could do whatever they wanted to me because it was private property.

Just my two bits experiencing loss of civil liberty.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
1.6 & 1.7 CIH aren't included? :(

Harold
Don't feel excluded...feel forgotten!

(I was going to use the word 'ostracized', but I kept trying to pronounce it 'Osterzeisd', which I'm sure should be on a map of East Germany...)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've told many, "If you think what I typed was offensive, it probably wasn't. If I want to be offensive, there won't be any thinking involved."
I've generally found that the people quickest to take offence, are those that are quickest to make offence. They reaction betrays their own personality moreso than it reveals anyone else's. You know, like how cheaters are always viciously suspicious that their partner is always cheating on them or trying to, and so they try to control their behavior.

Yeah, sometimes people's intentions come across wrong in text, but if a person does it consistently, or especially if someone takes time to walk on eggshells to avoid misconceptions and then they still bark that it was offensive, it just reveals them to be totally intolerable, hateful people who see the world through a lens of hate. Being kind to them is like talking to a wall. If they try to find a way to get offended, they'll succeed.

I've also found that those that take disagreement as criticism, and criticism as insult, are those that always intend insult, and criticism or disagreement is just their way of cloaking it to avoid consequences or to make others look like they're overreacting if they call them on it. People who are huge assholes almost always have the most delicate egos. They'll say something cruel and whoa boy, don't you dare even disagree with them because THEY HAD AN OPINION AND THIS IS THEIR FREE SPEECH.

And the people who scream about free speech the loudest, always seem to be the kind who don't actually want free speech. They want their speech to be free, and any disagreeing speech to be censored. Just crybabies in general. Adults who haven't grown beyond behavior we'd expect out of toddlers.

The most entitled that scream about free speech, are just lazy conversationalists who think not only that they're allowed to say anything they want to anyone they want, but that everyone has to listen to them. That all venues of all manners exist to service them, and they're free to abuse a captive audience to push their opinions on. And, yeah, good luck with that. Good like selling vaccums to people in line at the bank. Good luck preaching at a grocery cashier and refusing to move on because you're not finished your lecture. Etc. Just a bunch of losers who can't actual earn anyone's time of day, so they insist on forcing it on others.

"Freedom" means that the government will not restrict you. It does, however, come with caveats.
In the US, sure. But "Freedom of Speech" isn't just a particular amendment of a particular country's constitution. It's a concept. The USA implementation of it is only one way it can apply. It does not necessarily come with any caveats at all. Or it could come with many.

In Canada, we also have a freedom of speech concept, and similarly (but more expansively) it's specifically laid out to be, as are all rights, in reasonable balance with the rest of society. I.E. Nothing taken to a ridiculous extreme, in public, private, or otherwise.

This is an international community, so, other than on a legal standpoint, as a concept, freedom of speech is wildly variable across all our members.

This forum is a dictatorship. You can get banned for anything the moderators don't like. Doesn't seem to happen that often, almost like moderators are reasonable people.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,698 Posts
This forum is a dictatorship. You can get banned for anything the moderators don't like. Doesn't seem to happen that often, almost like moderators are reasonable people.
I wouldn't say this forum is a dictatorship. A member, aside from spammers, is unlikely to be banned unilaterally. That level of consequence would be discussed in Area 51, which is where the mods discuss problems with members. I'd say this forum is a bit like King Arthur's round table. The ban hammer is not used lightly with real people who join the forum for the purpose of our forum. It's only used gleefully and with much happiness, on spammers like a game of whack-a-mole. Ordinary members would have to really cross the line to get banned.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
In 20+ years we have only banned 2 members.
Well I would have to say then, that speakers volumes about this community as a whole both members and mods new & old.
Kind of hard to deny what a great forum and group of people that are apart here to have kept it going this long.
If it weren't for the originators and the senior members ( not an old joke even if you are) I wouldn't have had the pleasure of joining and being able to learn from you all.
Even if Gary says 20+ yrs 😜 LOL

Reactions: okieopel

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I WANT YOU ALL to read this VERY carefully and then ask why did you do this? First of all if I offended anyone by making a truthful comment about a political person or position, I apologize. NOW for my point in all of this. I intentionally waited a few days to read the replies, just like perhaps a NEW Opel GT owner may. I have very thick skin, I ran a concrete division for SE Johnson for several years before they sold and I moved on to Motion Industries. You want a job that you get yelled at 24-7 try running a concrete company. We (meaning concrete company owners/managers ) after all are in complete control of the weather. Any ways, my point is if you read thru the threads, there are SEVERAL that are attacking me as a person. Have you read any of my previous post. Probably not, because all I have EVER done on this site was try to help people. ESPECIALLY new Opel GT owners. I do not tell them their car is junk, scrap it, you don't have a chance, your crazy etc. No what I try to do is encourage people to stick with it, it can be done, and if nothing else, sell your parts and make a buck. I was personally frustrated with reports of what was going to be done with the IRS when I have had many years of dealing with them without the proposed changes. So yes my comment was politically heated, but I tried to do it in a humorous way and include "D" in it due to his outfit in his picture.

But were the attacks on me, done in a humorous way? How about the attacks that I often read on new Opel GT owners INCLUDING the "Barn Find" one. Did I at any time insult this person or attack his integrity, or did I try to encourage him and explain why in a thoughtful manner how he can make a buck on his find. My point is folks you went after me without even knowing me. I see this happening frequently to new people and for people truly looking for help. Now what did I do that was so bad in my reply to the comment being edited. I put a description of Censorship and I said go ahead and remove me. And EVEN with me voluntarily asking to be removed, I was attacked. Look inside yourself folks, I like this site, would like it to survive, and would suggest that some of you stop attacking newbies and start sincerely helping them. Now after reading this, provided you read the entire post and perhaps went back and looked at some of my previous post, did I deserve some of the comments that were allowed to be posted about me?

After you answer that question, ask yourself, do you understand censorship ?

Now on with the show, no more political comments from me unless it is a brain fart and hopefully, we can all learn to respect those that post on this site. Newbies or Oldbies, lets work together and get to know one another.
Have a Great Week Folks!
Sincerely, Bry(

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,553 Posts
I, for one, DID read your previous posts back when you made this thread and you seem to be a perfectly okay guy. Your offensive post must have been deleted, so I/we have no idea what you said and how "potentially" offensive it may have been to some people. I would think that a first offense would have been dealt with by a personal message from one the moderators asking you to refrain from the style of the perceived offensive remarks were. Next offense, would get a suspension. The potentially offensive post would of course be deleted.

You'll notice that I said "potentially" and "perceived" offensive. That's the balancing act that moderators must perform as part of their duties. We're in a very polarized political climate at this time and tensions are high. Some people may have whole-heartedly loved what you said and others may have been deeply offended. Alas, far too many people are eager to start a fight over the slightest dispute or offense. Fighting destroys websites. So the best policy is to err on the side of caution and nip things in the bud before they start growing. Were you banned? Apparently not. Your post was removed for some of it's content. I'm sure you could have reposted it without the "perceived" offensive parts.

I'm glad you're back with us and enjoyed your previous input. Now, let's all hold hands and skip down the yellow brick road. 🤪

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,698 Posts
First of all if I offended anyone by making a truthful comment about a political person or position, I apologize.

But were the attacks on me, done in a humorous way? How about the attacks that I often read on new Opel GT owners INCLUDING the "Barn Find" one.

Have a Great Week Folks!
Sincerely, Bry(
Bry,

Your comment was rightfully edited because politics had no business being mixed in with that thread and we generally want to keep politics outside of the forum. There is a political issue that is germane to our forum, titled RPM Act / EPA Issue. I recommend you go look at it and if you feel like commenting, go ahead. That forum is an appropriate forum for political comments and because I started that thread, I'm watching it. As long as political conversations in that thread don't get out of hand, I'm not going to remove anything. It's actually appropriate and impacts our interests. So, some leniency is going to be needed in that thread. As long as I don't see personal attacks against other members in that thread, I won't censor anyone and I hope none of the moderators will either. Again, it's an important situation related to our hobby. Maybe, MAYBE we could look into having a politics forum if enough members feel like they really need some open space to vent.

As for your other point about a new member being attacked in the Barn Find thread, there was one member who did catch my attention and I did comment on it. So far that member hasn't responded again but I'm watching that thread. You are also welcome to message me with any comments you find that you want a mod to take a look at, or flag it. I'm on here almost every day. If you see someone being rude to a member, especially a new member, and a mod doesn't comment on it or take action, alert us.

You're always welcome to message me if you feel something needs to be improved. I will at the very least respond to your concerns, if there isn't anything I can do about them.

Thank you,
Joe

I'm sure you could have reposted it without the "perceived" offensive parts.
That's why it was removed, it had nothing to do with the topic being discussed and as you pointed out sometimes it's done as a preventative measure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just FYI you have noticed that I did not reply or start any drama to any of the negative post about me with people in my opinion guessing what I said and making it worse than it actually was. While I have a Facebook account so that I can use Marketplace. I do not have ANY (not a single one) social media account EXCEPT for OpelGT.com. That my friend is a fact. I agree with your removal of the bits that I said as it could have caused some unnecessary drama, but as you can see it would not have been from me. Social Media and all of it's drama is a strain on everyone that uses it, and I hope someday people learn to TALK to one another again.

The yellow brick road sounds great to me, regardless of who is behind that #(&[email protected] curtain.

Have a Great Evening!
Bry.

PS, I will get rid of Bart's butt, and put my old buddy Butch back up. He is laughing, not snarling..... Like many things, it is all in the perception of the person looking or commenting and everyone see's something differently. I appreciated the civil conversations that were posted by some on here.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts