Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rally Bob

Hey Bob now that you have some scales i have a request

maybe you could calculate the Center of Gravity Ht for your Ascona or maybe even your Dads GT

the reason i am asking is that i have this performance Analyzer program and the manual that came with the program said to get the center of gravity of a car

measure from the ground to the center of the crank bolt then add 5 inches

i was wondering if that was correct or even close to the real world. it would be nice to have that info backed up with some real data

thanks

Davegt74

·
Super Moderator
13,583 Posts
I don't think the Ascona info would help, it's an entirely different chassis and obviously a taller body style, etc. Besides, I'm not at that point yet where the car has all the equipment in it, but when it's done and on the ground with wheels/tires on it, I will be documenting everything for my records...bump steer, camber/caster, roll centers, camber curves front/rear weight bias, etc. My Dad's GT might be even worse! For one, it's on a rolling platform now, and secondly it's heavily modified. No roof (convertible), plus your car would have a cage (more weight up high), etc.

Bob

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just wondering if any car could be measured from the ground to the center of the crank bolt.
i don't care which one

my GT the only info i have is the CG is 42.52" behind the front wheels and 1.50" from the center toward the left of the car

and 5 inches added would be even be close to the center of gravity of a car

not a big deal i was just curious

i have been using this program for years
also i used the info to calculate the weight transfer during a turn

having that info and the wheel rate i would think you could come up with a good estimation on spring rates

Davegt74

1 - 3 of 3 Posts