Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's sad but my GT has not run for a few years and it is in desperate need at this point. The idea was to build a boy racer car which I did and there's no way I can afford or even want to make it standard.
It's converted to RHD using Isuzu Gemini front suspension Gemini Wagon rear end, big brakes, lowered with half finished flares to suit the wide 15"wheels 10 inch rear 8 inch front. I removed a poorly fitted sun roof which I was happy with but may need re-addressing.
One of the big down sides of RHD the unbelievable heat that came through sapping strength from your left, So I searched for cool engine in more than one way.
I like to keep part swaps in the GM family so I bought a 140hp Isuzu twincam G200W which put the exhaust on the left side and is a great looking period engine.
So that's the basis keep the mods extend my flares back the look like the Steinmetz flairs maybe a half cage and copy as many Steinmetz period features as I can.
The engine was never fitted because I couldn't locate a gearbox to suit. Well I joined Facebook a couple of months ago, and started asking the question and found a guy who said any Isuzu Bellett gearbox will fit so today I found someone local online with Bellett parts so tomorrow the cars new life might start.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Nice to hear you back at it again, Alex. It's very interesting to hear the Aussie way of attacking our cars. RHD and an Isuzu engine ought to be interesting to see.

Got any pics of the RHD conversion?

·
Registered
912 Posts
The Gemini(Kadett C) front suspension should have been used in the GT from the beginning, too bad that the T-body arrived first after the demise of the GT.
Is the Bellet transmission a four speed ? Bellets were popular rally cars over here in the late 60's. What about Piazza/Impulse trannies, do they fit ?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Gemini(Kadett C) front suspension should have been used in the GT from the beginning, too bad that the T-body arrived first after the demise of the GT.
Is the Bellet transmission a four speed ? Bellets were popular rally cars over here in the late 60's. What about Piazza/Impulse trannies, do they fit ?
The front end works very well, on my revamp I will raise the rear mount of the bottom control arm 15 mm it is not quite correct.

I would love to fit the correct GT steering column maybe one of you guys can help me with that PM me if you can.

When it was first imported it had a horrible unsafe RHD conversion done, The Gemini front end was my fix. but I retained the mismatched column and besides not looking right in side the column was welded crooked and moves like a skipping rope.

Yes the Bellett tranny is 4 speed but I am very restricted by budget rarely a Isuzu 117 or a zzr box which were Japan private imports turn up (I just missed out on one 2 months ago sold as I called). may be some Bellett boxes have a detachable bell housing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did well today, after a nice 1 1/2 hour drive in the country side. I got 5 gearboxs, 1x exhaust flange for custom exhaust, 2 x engine/gearbox plates, 1 x starter motor. priceless(y) I gave the guy 50 bucks and he was happy and I was happy. only 1 box had fork, throw out on carrier and yoke but I only need 1. No flywheel or clutch parts but he did have a 2lt twincam like mine in a car with the standard Bellett gearbox so it should be a go.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Opeljohn fixes up GT steering columns with new ignition switches, shiny keys, lubed, and painted. I just got one from him for my new car and had one already that I got from him a few years ago in my GTX car. Send him a Discussion message and see what you guys can work out.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,485 Posts
"It's converted to RHD using Isuzu Gemini front suspension Gemini Wagon rear end, big brakes, lowered"

wow how cool is this

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a fiat x1/9 steering column will work, yet to measure one up. Looks like I can use a Isuzu Rodeo clutch kit and substitute a Holden Torana clutch plate with 10t spigot. Also found a new electronic dizzy waiting to hear if in stock. I haven't looked at drive shaft compatibility yet.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
As I recall, the Holden/Isuzu Gemini front end is the same as the US Chevette/T1000, CAN Acadia, and the US Buick Opel Isuzu/Isuzu IMark.

Details of the swap would probably be of great interest over hear.

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I recall, the Holden/Isuzu Gemini front end is the same as the US Chevette/T1000, CAN Acadia, and the US Buick Opel Isuzu/Isuzu IMark.

Details of the swap would probably be of great interest over hear.
The front end is Kadett C equivalent. I just double checked because I haven't seen the opel version here although I know there are some around.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
Yeah, it's all T-car, with some regional variations.
Probably the control arms/brakes being the variable factor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kind of remember the first Isuzu Gemini called TX here had a slightly different lower control arm (I know aftermarket springs are different lengths) from the Holden Gemini with what was called Radial Tuned Suspension RTS. If I remember correctly I have the earlier version which may mirror the Opel. I have asked on a Gemini site about the differences, we'll see what comes back.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Plus side, got given a x1/9 steering column with keys and intermediate shaft. Looks like it will fit but I'm not sure what wiring and switches are on a standard GT column. I suppose I need horn, indicators, ignition switch, and headlight flasher. Is that all I should need are the wipers on the dash?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ordered an electronic dizzy for the twincam and cut up a winged sump with plans of fitting at least 1 wing depending on how I run the exhaust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts