Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
newman try a different brand or weight. I run 80/90 in all my manual trans cars with the exception of my Subaru due to having a rather expensive center diff inside. I always use Castrol brand in daily drivers. HTH
It will shift better with a GL-4 lube in it. The brass parts inside the transmission will last longer too. It takes some effort to find GL-4 80-90 sometimes, but it is out there. All older transmisions work better with something other than GL-5

Tom
Thanks for the suggestions! Shifting was easier this morning but then again the temps are rising back up here in Atlanta so that probably explains it...

Matt

·
Registered
382 Posts
when you drop the pan be on the look out for the detent spring, support, and the ball. The little support is hard to find unless your watching for it it's just a small pad of metal and the spring sits against it, the other end of the spring pushes against the ball it slids right back up in the little passage.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,584 Posts
Having replaced the backup light switch today, I can vouch for the fact that tranny fluid does indeed come out when you remove the switch. If only I would have thought of that BEFORE removing the switch.:banghead:

That, and finding a metal gasket (like the crush gasket on a spark plug) in the mess, when there wasn't one included with the switch that I put on. Other than that, it went smooth.

I'm not sure that pulling the switch would drain all of the fluid, since the switch goes in the side of the tranny case. About a half pint came out before I plugged the hole on mine. If nothing else, you may have a good shot in that hole to put some sort of siphon line/turkey baster setup to get more fluid out.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.