Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Thank you for this post. I've been contemplating making a rotisserie for my 2 manta projects or just finding a way to tilt the car at a steep angle. Seeing it in real life and seeing how you used the bumper mounts is very helpful. I think I'll mirror what you did.

2 questions-

Are the front and rear bumper mounts same height?

How did you lift the chassis up to get it on the rotisserie?

· Registered
56 Posts
There's a local metal supply shop that has a 'bargain barn' loaded with cutoff pieces. I'm going there this weekend to get enough metal to build the rotisserie.
What weight capacity do you think the casters should be rated for?

· Registered
56 Posts
I would not have guessed the body is that light. That really is nothing, the rotisserie will weight more! Harbor Freight has some affordable 6 inch castors so I'll probably go with those. My driveway is a bit rough so the bigger wheels will help.

· Registered
56 Posts
Looking at your original vs the new one, the new one looks more robust. The angled supports were angle iron, but are now box tubing. Was that more because it was the metal you had available or did you think it needed more support?

· Registered
56 Posts
That Jeg's one does look nice, and if I was planning on doing another car after my 2 Manta's, especially a bigger car I would seriously consider it, but for the little use I'd rather save the cash for the rest of the projects.

· Registered
56 Posts
I picked up a few 8 foot lengths of 2x2 steel. I got them at Logan Steel in Meriden, CT if anyone is ever looking for metal, they have a Bargain Barn full of cutoffs and misc metal pieces. You pay by the pound, great place.
They didn't have any pipe combination that would work for the rotating part. I was thinking, I have 2 old front wheel hubs from a late 90's ford explorer. Do you think that could be used for the rotating mechanism? They support at least 1000 pounds each in an unloaded Explorer. In my head it's similar loading geometry, think of the rotating Opel as the Explorer and the stands as the wheels.

· Registered
56 Posts
I think I may stop at the You Pull It junk yard and grab a rear rotor and caliper. The rear rotor should fit on the front hub and will be thinner and easier to drill thru for the pin lock. I could mount the caliper, drill and tap a hole to use a bolt to push on the back side of the brake piston to create drag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts