Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a little research and wanted to get some opinions. Has anyone used or seen the foam fill for stiffening? Reading on a MX-5 site thats its supposed to make a huge improvement by filling the rockers. Don't know how effective this would be on an Opel, but thought it may be a cost effective/light weight way to do it. Opinions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also a member of the mx-5 site. If you get the right type of spray expansion foam foam it will help some but you need to be careful. Most of the cheaper foams are not waterproof and will actually hold water and make rust an issue. There are some automotive grade foams that are waterproof and you can get structural grade foam on line that would work, just be careful to get the proper product so as to not ruin a good car.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are some automotive grade foams that are waterproof and you can get structural grade foam on line that would work, just be careful to get the proper product so as to not ruin a good car.
Thats what I was referring to, the 4, 8, and 16 pound. Sorry for not making that clear.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just had to say tuner didnt you?

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Shock Tower Brace...

Would a shock tower brace fitted to a GT further stiffen the chassis or be a waste of effort? I've seen this debated on other forums and some feel such a device is really just for show (i.e., it looks cool). Certainly depends on the car of course. If so, has anyone done this? I have a vague memory of seeing one on a GT on this site but a quick search didn't turn up anything...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Shock tower brace...

I do not have any before and after comparison for you, but we put a bar between our shock towers and our car corners like it has studded tires. (Full front suspension rebuild, new shocks, bigger brakes)

·
1971 Opel GT
198 Posts
Shock tower brace...

I do not have any before and after comparison for you, but we put a bar between our shock towers and our car corners like it has studded tires. (Full front suspension rebuild, new shocks, bigger brakes)
Can you post a pic of your shock tower brace? Not a lot of room under the hood so I'm curious how you've got it placed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Here is where running a car in Lemons affords me a bit more leeway than most would endure. Our shock tower brace is a piece of 1.5"od DOM tube with two vee notchs cut on each side, bent, and welded to make a bridge shape. We cut two plates out of 1/4" plate and welded over/arround the shock mounts. The bar was then welded to the plates.

We have electric fans so it fit well between the radiator and motor, under the upper coolant hose.

Luckily I do not have any pictures. The welding is atrocious and it is not painted so it has a nice orangish-brown coilor to it. It works, but is embarrasing to look at.

·
GT Racer
47 Posts
Shock tower brace...

I will have to do this to the autocross GT. Been to hot to work on it though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
After cutting the top off of our car I removed and rebuilt the whole cage. Along with this I removed the strut tower braces and put some properly bent tubing up front with much better welds securing it. Here is a pic of them before paint. They are black now. I feel very confident that they are tying the front together nicely.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts