Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day Vickie and I were talking in the chat room about how it really seems as though the excitememt in the Opel community has gone down some. So we were wondering if we could set aside a time every night or every other night to were alot of people would join the chat just to share some stories and ask technical questions. This would be something like the yahoo opel community does but seems like no one really is ever on that site anymore.

Just a thought...

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Adam;
The problem with Yahoo is you get thrown out of the room at any time for no reason. I have sent numerous e-mails to Yahoo about this as well as the continious spam that keeps coming, but, to no avail. A lot of the "vacancy" right now is everyone is getting into "vacation" mode, and resuming projects with earnest, as Carlisle is the "kick-off" of the season, eventually things will get back to normal.

·
Administrator
10,377 Posts
How about trying this? If you are available to chat, log into the room and then go about your web surfing. When someone else logs in to the room, they "greet" you by typing in your name. You then get a "beep" that tells you to go to the chat window.

Chat traffic typically slows down this time of year as a lot of people are out and about.

·
Incurable Opelitus
203 Posts
problems w/ chat

Has anyone else had problems entering the chat room? :banghead: I have tried repeatedly, but all I get is a big box w/ a small X. I guess it may be my PC (700MHz eMachine), but was wondering if anyone had the problem also, and found a way around it. I've tried downloading Java again, but to no avail. :sigh: I would really like to join in the chats now and then.
Randy

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Floating Chat

If you log on to the 'floating' chat room then minimize it there is a quite loud indicator when someone else logs in to the chat.
This allows you to go about sorting through the site and reading posts while logged in to the chat. Indeed I have 'timed out' on the main site pages and been automatically logged out there with the floating chat room still active and me logged in there! The site and the chat appear to be independent after being opened.

·
Administrator
10,377 Posts
While we are on this topic. The license for the chat room is up for renewal in another month. Any major problems with the chat? We may be participating in a test of their latest version so we can preview all the latest changes.

There is also the option of opening it up to non-site members as well. Any thoughts on this?

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure if this is with the chat or the site itself...when people r in the chat room it doesnt have a number show up next to where it says opelchat...u have to click opelchat and then whos chatting to see if there is anyone there...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Gary said:
There is also the option of opening it up to non-site members as well. Any thoughts on this?
Two thoughts on that Gary. First they could get info and advice "real time" and see just how good the site membership is. Secondly, the possibility of some llaming from the uninitiated could happen, but is easily squelched using the "private" chat room function.

Oops, just noticed, it's the 2nd quarter. Donation will be forthcoming. :eek:

·
Incurable Opelitus
203 Posts
Maybe the latest version will get me over my "chat" problem. I'll be glad to try it out.
Randy

·
Opel Addicts
2,480 Posts
Gary said:
Have briefly entered other chat rooms, and seeing the foul language and explicit topics :shocked: , I would rather keep it as a benefit of membership. This gives moderators a recourse and helps to keep discussions more or less on the topic of Opels.

Vickie

·
Administrator
10,377 Posts
spdkilz02 said:
not sure if this is with the chat or the site itself...when people r in the chat room it doesnt have a number show up next to where it says opelchat...u have to click opelchat and then whos chatting to see if there is anyone there...
That is a problem with the add-on program that links the chat and forum. It has not been updated for the latest forum release yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.