Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
UngerDog
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a listing for a 65-66 Kadett a couple weeks ago on craigslist. It was reposted with a little more info a couple of days ago with .... 1965-1970 Kadett L by OPEL - $25 (oakland east)

1965-1970 Kadett L by OPEL

Hmmm??I do have a 1.9 that runs. Not sure if that would be a direct swap. I'm tempted but really not that interested in restoring a car that ... I know I'm shallow, but very few people would ever appreciate this car and it wouldn't be worth that much when done. So, if anyone is interested they can call.

I did read something interesting about the history of the Kadett on Wikipedia.
"Kadett A and B were technically simple cars whose task was to compete with the market leader, the Volkswagen Beetle. This lack of sophistication caused the USA car magazine Car and Driver to publish a highly critical test of the Kadett in 1968 featuring photos of the car in a junkyard. Reportedly, GM withdrew any ads from that magazine for several months as a consequence."

Name that year
3kd3o63l4ZZZZZZZZZ92i4eb4a775068f177c.jpg

Name that engine
3na3m63l8ZZZZZZZZZ92i4eb9ae2ca90d19ef.jpg

Jerry

·
1000 Post Club
4,101 Posts
Can't help you on the year.

Engine. I'm guessing a 1.1?

I remember seeing a reprint of that article and yes, GM did pull their advertising.

·
Super Moderator
1,791 Posts
That's actually a steal, if I could get out there I would. That's a coupe, and they only made the body style for 2 years.

It's a 1.1L motor, and that particular car will have a sport shift trans and probably both the rear sway bar and 1.1L front disc brakes.

If anyone local wants to make some $, I'll give double the asking price for the grill alone.

·
530 Posts
Wow! $25!! What a deal! I'm not too up on Kadett's, but I believe that is a '66 or '67 "Gill" coupe, which I think would have come with a 1.1 engine. It is hard to tell with the picture being grainy. I think the 1.9 engines didn't came until '68 and later Kadetts. I really like the side windows and roofline of those "gill" coupes.
-Jeff W.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
I do have a 1.9 that runs. Not sure if that would be a direct swap.

Jerry
IIRC, not a direct swap, nor even very feasible, as the transmission tunnel for the 1.1 Kadetts (and this is a 1.1) is a different shape (at least on the '68 and later Kadetts) than that required for the CIH 1.5 and 1.9. But 1.1's are quite rebuildable, and even show from time to time on eBay.

HTH

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I bought a new Kadett four door in '66. This car is definitely a 66 or 67 by everything which I can see. Great little car. The coupe most likely had the front disc brakes. The engine which came with that had a slightly higher CR and it could easily be made to ping on regular. Biggest problem in areas of winter salt was rust, especially in the rocker panels. Bill

·
opel snob
156 Posts
I would say (from having MANY Kadetts over the years) that it is likely a '67... That is a 1.1, but with the single carb, there won't be any of the usual 'sport-parts' associated with the Coupe.

That is a great deal, from the one pic, but I'd prefer to see the whole car... Also, as has been stated above, the trans tunnel won't be an easy fit. In '68, that changed, as it is the same core-chassis as the GT, and Opel simplified tooling in advance for both cars.

·
1,873 Posts
If someone picks it up I'd be interested in the left tail light, both small (directly under the headlight) lenses and housings... (( not the ones under the bumper)).Also the dash pad if it were decent.

·
187 Posts
My guess is that the seller means $250 or $2500...but then again maybe somebody will luck out and and has found a real deal! How come that never seams to be me?

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
I did read something interesting about the history of the Kadett on Wikipedia.
"Kadett A and B were technically simple cars whose task was to compete with the market leader, the Volkswagen Beetle. This lack of sophistication caused the USA car magazine Car and Driver to publish a highly critical test of the Kadett in 1968 featuring photos of the car in a junkyard. Reportedly, GM withdrew any ads from that magazine for several months as a consequence."
Jerry
In my 'aardvaark' album is the 5 page C&D article you speak of for those interested:
CD_kd1 - Opel Photo Gallery

1 - 11 of 11 Posts