Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Same subject I've already got a 96 Camaro 3.4 and a 92 S-10 T-5 all bolted together, but I had to use an 88 bellhousing, the one on the tranny was busted in transit and I can't use the hydraulic system. I made new crossmembers for the engine/tranny. Both mimic the original subframes and use the original bolt holes. The tranny mount uses an S-10 rubber mount and bolts right in, the crossmember had to be dropped 1 1/2 inches to equate the original angle to the drive shaft. The engine mounts are boxed 1/4" plate steel welded together on all four sides, the crossmember is made up to fit the original holes and needed to be modified twice, only because I screwed up on the original measurements. The total assembly has been in the car and bolted up using the tranny mounts but the front of the engine is about 3 inches right of center, I need to know how much of the footwell needs to be removed so I can center the engine in the bay. I don't want to take out too much or not enough. BTW, using the SFI engine, the air plenum hits the wiper motor well and will have to trimmed also. I have drawings and pics of the main engine crossmember if any one is interested in using the original bolt holes.

Ron

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Nathan, thanx for the response. My plan is to do what you suggest, but I would like to have some reference marks to see how close we are. The other problem I have is the guy building the exhaust wants the engine in the hole to do his measuring for headers. A catch 22 problem, so I have to fit the engine in first for a preliminary check for him. Right now with the tranny bolted in to the mount, the engine is 3 inches right of center, so I'll have to remove enough sheetmetal to cure that and the intake plenum hits the wiper well, so that will have to be addressed. I was thinking about using a set of S-10 headers I got off e-bay. The flanges on them are 90 degrees off the 3.4, so cutting them and rewelding should be no problem, if I can get them to work in the allowed space. I got a set of Fiero headers and they are trashed, cracks all over the place. I may have to use them though or something similar, because of the twin oxy sensors and the 3-stage EGR valve the computer needs. The left side exhaust looks like I can use standard type headers just behind the oil filter, but if I have to use a log manifold on the right side, I'll do them both the same for aesthetic appeal. The fun never ends. The lady of the house has decided she wants the GT painted silver, she saw one at the OMC picnic and thought it looked great. If I decide to go that route, the whole car will be stripped and painted POR-15 glossy black inside and under and silver on the outside. And she doesn't think the original white upholstery will look quite right with the silver paint so it will have to be a black interior. Glad I'll have air-conditioning in this.

Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.