Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this one for a while and finally had a look at it. If I invert this exhaust it is a bit high but managable. A quick turn into a turbo flange and then put a stock intake with a intake snout on it. Do a draw through type of say weber 45 and a manual wastegate. This would be on a stock late model 1.9 and basicly stock head. Limited to about 8 or 9 pounds total. Ok I know I'm a bit odd but I think it could work.

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
And the intake manifold goes where?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
between the exhaust runners but the stock opening is closed and it gets intake from the side.

The idea is turn back a bit off the exhaust flange at a 90 then merge into a quick flange for a turbo. Use a stock intake between the exhaust runners with a round tube welded in the side and the stock intake blocked off. This would keep almost everything above the head deck height. Turbo itself would be just back from where a stock air filter can would sit and place a 45 weber just to the back of the radiator cross member.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Dave, I haven't done any measurements yet, but my 88 Saab SPG Turbo looks like intake/exhaust Turbo unit might work. You'd have to get rid of the fan and shroud but the radiator could be cooled with a pusher fan to get the clearence needed for the turbo to the intercooler line. There are intakes/ exhausts,turbos on Ebay all the time pretty cheap. Just a thought. Jarrell

·
Registered
214 Posts
RallyBob said:
Quite frankly, if you saved your pennies and did a programmable EFI system, you might just end up doing it for cheaper than if you carbureted it and you ended up burning a piston or valve and had to start over. There's a reason manufacturers stopped producing carbureted turbo engines. They are finicky at best. You will have more power, a smoother idle, WAYYYY more usable torque and better mileage if you go with fuel injection. Just my .02...
You may want to mull over the idea of an EFI system. I wouldn't want to see the level of anger you may reach if you blew-up an otherwise well performing engine.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I understand the point of the EFI but to date I've never seen one fit to a GT, let alone a turbo version. All this would be is a redesign of a motor in a car I used to own. It's not for the 2.0 but another low compression motor, not even the motor in the pic. It is after all just an idea not a mock up. I already found at least one flaw and that's the space for the water jacket thermostat housing. The idea was a fit for a GT as I know the limitations.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
'75 FI in '73 GT since '78

nobody said:
Ok I understand the point of the EFI but to date I've never seen one fit to a GT, let alone a turbo version. All this would be is a redesign of a motor in a car I used to own. It's not for the 2.0 but another low compression motor, not even the motor in the pic. It is after all just an idea not a mock up. I already found at least one flaw and that's the space for the water jacket thermostat housing. The idea was a fit for a GT as I know the limitations.
OK, Dave, now you have. :rolleyes: Here's two pics of mine . . . my first, done in 1978. Flat tops, Isky/Norris valve train and Perlux (now Pertronix) trigger, BTW. Pictures are scanned Polaroids, no digital cameras back then. ;)

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Otto I always wondered if there was a fitment issue as most GTs seem to stop at twins. I know from past experience that if jetted right a draw system on a 45 DCOE works well. The Turbo GT I had for years was done like this but the long tube from the sprint that looped low back to the turbo made the lag something fierce. Ever since I got this manifold it looked to need to be turned over. It's again just an idea. I do know for fact that the Turbo GT I used to have turned low 13's at Bandimere on a regular basis, I kept finding time tickets in the car after I got it. I changed a piston after the wastegate stuck and put a street clutch in it and drove it for years. I know it's nice to have ideas of what's best but if it won't fit in the car or takes 4000 dollars to even try it, that's not productive. My thinking was to improve on a known settup not spend alot of money on something that just costs more to fit. Sorry I only have a few pics of the turbo and none under the hood. Until you have one to test out and drive in alot of conditions then the speculation is just that. Other Than Bob who I very much respect how many have tried or owned a turbo 1.9 GT?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't forget Megasquirt (DIY FI system). I have built one, but need a project to put it in.
http://www.msefi.com/

You could have FI system for under $200...just get some sensors and injectors froma JY and you are set.....I know of a few guys running L6 turbo engines with megasquirt (some with megasquirt and spark)......

Tim

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok maybe i'm dense and having trouble understanding the idea that if you put a fuel rail and injector set in a GT your next move is to open the fender alot, relocate the radiator alot or abandon the turbo. Like I said it's easy to speculate put just where in the wild world of sports are ya gonna put the exhaust to get high enough to feed it? **** can the injection unless you can get the exhaust right in the first place. Does any body see the point of it all? A turbo is fed off the exhaust and spins a turbine that in turn creates positive pressure to the intake. No exhaust no spin of a turbine and no use in even trying it...Get the drift?

Ok nevermind sorry I brought up the idea. I'll do it or don't but speak of it I won't.

·
Non Civilian
2,091 Posts
why not use a supercharger instead of a turbo? paxton and vortech make them. here are some pics from JEGS. the honda 4 cyl version looks like it could be promising.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Chris, Tim, et.al., The idea Dave has is to use what he has, or anyone would have for that matter, to build a carbed turbo set up cheaply, using stock Opel parts for the most part, and doing minimal modifications to them. Way back when, he had a turbo GT and is thinking about doing another, but as cheaply as possible, and using the lo-comp 1.9 as a test bed. If it works, and he's looney enuff to make it work, (re: his 2.0 build up) it may open up the way for our Opels to have more get up and go for a lot less than an complete engine rebuild. JMTCW.

·
2,054 Posts
Keep the Idea Alive

To NoBody - Don't clam up on this idea. Throw it out there, along with others. Hey - between a half dozen of you, the idea might just evolve into something far better than any one guy can come up with on his own. Then the rest of us standing on the side get the benefit of your collective genius-ness & creativity.

This is the process we go through to brain-storm how we will create a new analysis for a client. We throw our ideas on the table, and half the team justs rips 'em to hell, and everyone gets real frosted and snitty. Eventually someone says, "Wait a minute, if we change this a little, and maybe add this, I think it can be done". Then things flow. Next thing - the model is half done and we go to lunch.

Keep the idea alive.
(so where's lunch?)

·
240 Posts
When I saw your picture of the upside down manifold I thought what a great idea. I ran out and test fitted a sprint exhaust to an old engine. If you have a sprint manifold you can test fit, look at it again. I think your idea has merit.

Garry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts