Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a screen stainless steal or brass and cut it to fit just under your carb with holes for the bolts on the intake. make sure it´s flat or you could get a air leak when you tighten the carb back. Use a medium mesh, too fine a mesh and you will cut off air flow. What this does is break the fuel down better. Not extream horsepower gain but alittel. Also has anyone ever put an electric fan on the 1900, and if so what kind of horsepower gains did you get. Does it keep it cool, and do you have to go to a different alternator.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Electric fan

hey, I have an electric fan i am waiting to put on also so i can´t wait to hear. I have heard everything from 2-10 Hp gains depending on losing a fixed or clutch fan.I have a 65 amp alt. so hopefully i shouldn´t need more. Neat trick with the screen, i have seen some worked into the intakes before on chevy SB´s. Has anyone also tried the cyclonic fans for the carb?Another Question I would like to add to 70GT´s is what possibilities of working the existing temp sensor into working the switch on the fan or is this done strictly through the computer on late model cars?
(Sorry to add up on an unanswered question just didn´t see any reason to start a new thread concerning the same thing)
Clay Ritter

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did not think of the butterflys on the bottom of the carb. I have done this on a chevy 350 with a small spacer, and thought there was a spacer on the opel solex carb, but there isn´t one. If you have a webber and use a adapter you may have enough clearence. It should not puddel on the screen because the carb is pulling in air. Put that screen on the end of a vacuum cleaner hose, turn it on then spray it. It does the same thing in the carb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This sounds interesting and since I am rebuilding my weber carb, I would like to try this. Can someone send me a pic. of how this looks?

Thanks!

Heather V. Havel
Michigan, USA

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
why not get a steel ball of slightly smaller size than your port anda bit of pipe a little bigger
put the mesh on pipe then ball
hit ball with hammer result
a dome which will clear the butterfly
repeat 4 other side(you may have to do 2 to keep them flat)
just an idea!

·
Opeler
33 Posts
most cars with electric fans have them controlled by a thermoswitch in the radiator... i do not believe that the stock opel radiator has a fitting for a thermoswitch, although i'm sure one could be made... otherwise, i'm sure there's a way to run the fan off the lead from the temperature sender... use a relay and resistors to control when the fan is activated...

·
392 Posts
The electric fan idea has been discussed many times here and if you do a search you will find not only a string of articles about installation but a step by step (with photos) instructions that is very thorough.

As far as the wire mesh that idea has been around as long as cars have had carbs. Slight increase in atomization but not the great claim of horsepower and fuel economy as some will claim. There was also a "fish" carb that was reputed to give 100+ MPG with almost zero emissions but the inventor said that the big auto makers and gas companies conspired to keep it hush-hush. Or was it the aliens? ;)
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts