Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard of people using using the chevette clutch on an opel flywheel. does anyone know anything about this setup. this is for a circletrack car and wouldnt be shifting but from first off to second. im just trying to find out if there is a pressure plate with enough clamping force to hold. and if there are any other issues that i should be aware of.
should be pictures of the car up within the next month.

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
toynv said:
i have heard of people using using the chevette clutch on an opel flywheel. does anyone know anything about this setup. this is for a circletrack car and wouldnt be shifting but from first off to second. im just trying to find out if there is a pressure plate with enough clamping force to hold. and if there are any other issues that i should be aware of.
should be pictures of the car up within the next month.
I've done this mod before a couple of times. The flywheel needs some machining and it needs to be redrilled to the new 6-bolt pressure plate pattern (non-symmetrical pattern of course so it's a PITA). I had one of mine resprung 30% stiffer, the other had a doubled-up diaphragm. Never tried the double diapragm setup, but my guess is I will need to adapt a hydraulic clutch or the effort will be enormous and will probably break clutch cables.

Go with a metallic disc and the increased clamping pressure and it will hold up just fine. In fact the pressure plate design will take a LOT more rpms than a stock Opel pressure plate...those stock suckers fly apart all the time with 8500+ rpms. They break the perimeter tabs right off......

There's definitely a lot less inertia with the Chevette setup (7" dia). I still have the double diaphragm p.p. setup in my barn, if you'd like I'll take some pics tonight and post them here.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Here's the pics I promised. The flywheel had to be machined flat, drilled and tapped for the Chevette pressure plate, and I chose to dowel it in three places as well. This particular flywheel was extensively lightened as well (about 11 lbs now).

Bob

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Guess it would help if I posted an overview photo! You can see how much smaller the diameter is here.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Moderator's Note: Moved to the Clutch Forum. Please try to start new threads in the correct Forum. TIA

·
Opeler
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
awesome bob! we were thinking of using clutch.net for the disk and probanbly just a HD pressure plate? did you have to shim the throwout bearing or anything or was it just right?
thanks for your help, we appreciate it.
i can see how that double sprung one would be hard on the cable. wow.

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
toynv said:
awesome bob! we were thinking of using clutch.net for the disk and probanbly just a HD pressure plate? did you have to shim the throwout bearing or anything or was it just right?
thanks for your help, we appreciate it.
i can see how that double sprung one would be hard on the cable. wow.
I had Action Clutch Exchange build my disk and pressure plate. With the flywheel machined flat to the bottom of the groove (between the high/low step), the release bearing is just about right on. You could adjust for your tastes however. You need to use a round-faced release bearing however, the flat-faced ones don't engage properly with the 7" pressure plate's diaphragm.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts