Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy V6

Hi I am new to the forum. I recently got hold of a 73 Manta that needs some work, but overall it is in fair condition. It only needs paint, tyres, and some engine work. However, I was wondering if there is any information out there or if it is actually possible to put a 1996 Chevy V6 into my manta. It was from my camaro which i shoved an LS6 into. I have the V6 and everything it needs for a swap, but I am wondering if there are any motor mounts. Making mounts doesn't bother me, but I want to know if this swap can be done. Is there anyone out there who has done this? Thanks and its great to be here.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
if they can put a 3.4 in a GT it surely can be put into a manta

·
792 Posts
V6 manta

There is a member from the Pacific Northwest that had a V6 Ascona Sportwagon that fit quite nicely so i am certain the Manta would be the same.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
If remember correctly, the V6 Camaro's are all 3.8 (3800) motors, therefore, I can't help but think about slapping a factory supercharger on there. Watch ebay, they come up all the time for the 3.8. If you pulled the trans and rearend out of the Camaro, then you are best off using those components in your swap, have the driveshaft shortened (many local resources available for this, ask around) and rear end narrowed (Currie is a good resource for this). The stock Opel trans and rearend will not stand up to the torque. And don't forget some chassis stiffening too. Probably all stuff that you have considered, but doen't hurt to reiterate.

I think that you are also asking if anyone makes off-the-shelf motor mounts for an engine swap, and the answer is definitely no. It has been talked about here before, but the concensus was that there are too many engine options and not enough demand for any one specific engine.

And I guess I'll be the first to say this... most of us here dont have a problem with an Opel getting cut up, as long the project is finished.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Here's the kinda real deal, I'm stuffing a 3.4 V-6 and a T-5 tranny in my GT. I have documented everything I've done including pics in the Articvles Section, but right now that section is under Beta testing by our beloved moderator. Part of the swap is covered in the Willit? Update thread. As far as motor mounts and tranny mounts, you can modify the original engine crossmember and tranny subframe. I preferred to build a complete new system using much stronger square tubing vice the stamped steel factory setup. Now a bit of a heads up, first the 3.8 is a 90 degree engine, and therefore much wider than the 3.4. The T-5 tranny is also a bit longer than the standard 4-speed, in order for the S-10 T-5 shifter to be centered in the console hole, my driveshaft was shortened from 22" over all length to 11" over all length, that include the splined shaft that goes into the tranny. Also in centering the shifter in the console hole, I had to cut into the wiper well for the air plenum to clear, and the foot well needed a lot of cutting to have room for the exhaust manifolds I custom made. On the GT the exhaust has to be a Fiero type log manifold with the down pipes in front of the engine. There's no room for the pipes to go to the rear and down. Now as far as putting a 3.8 in a Manta, I can't tell you if there is room to do it or not, other than the fact there is more room in the Manta than the GT, but then again the 3.8 is wider than the 3.4. Break out the measuring tape and see how it measures up.

Madhatterpc is correct in his stating we don't mind someone making major changes to these cars, what really is a shame, is they are no longer as available as they once were and once cut up, are gone for good. So I hope you can see our sentiments in this regard. Do the research, do the measuring, think about it long and hard, wait a while, think some more, and if you think it can be done, and done safely, go for it. If you have questions about anything Opel, check out the search feature on this site, then if it doesn't answer you question, by all means ask here. But, to make Keith happy, kindly put the question in the correct forum. Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of Opels.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
PROPEL said:
If this guy can stuff an E36 M3 motor into a 2002, pretty much anything can be accomplished with sufficiently competent resources.

http://www.terrysaytherauto.com/Frankenbimmer.htm
If I *ever* showed up at the shop wearing white running pants and latex gloves, I'm not sure if I would be laughed at to the point of tears or beaten to a pulp

Also, they should really consider installing that motor GT style... from the bottom!

·
2,054 Posts
I love that 3800 engine!

I've had several of those 3800 engines; 1st in our minivan, 2nd in our Pontiac Bonneville. Its got 220 hp. My brother has the supercharged flavor in his Gran Prix.

I've always thought it would be great to drop one in an Opel, and hope someone like you makes it happen.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
I moved this thread to the "Engine Swap Forum".

The narrow angle 60 degree GM V6 (the 2.8/3.1/3.4) would probably fit better, but a 90 degree 3.8/4.3 might be wedged in with some fender well mods. I have attached photos of what I think is a 215 Buick (Rover 3500) in a Manta, and a SportWagon V6 (the wagon version of the Manta) called "Huffy's V6 Wagon" (in the classicopels vault) but I believe it is a 2.8 V6.

When I bought Kat's old 75 SportWagon, I seriously considered a V6 swap rather than rebuilding the stock 1.9 w/ EFI. After all the money I have spent rebuilding it, I wish I had followed my first thought...

Good luck and keep us posted

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.