Opel GT Forum banner

Choke adjustment....DGEV

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kwilford 
#1 ·
Every morning after starting my 73 GT it leaves LOTS of black soot on my garage floor. It comes out mixed with condensation right after startup. My son (who drives the car) starts it and lets it idle for about 4-5 minutes before he leaves for school. Temps have been in the high 30s and low 40s here, at that time of day.

My question is.....should it be doing this??? I have checked the plugs after driving it on the freeway when fully warmed and they appear to be normal, light tan, no buildup of any kind. I'm wondering if my choke is engaged too much.....maybe at startup its running too rich too long????? The present (right now at 11:30am) temp here is approx 55-60 degrees......if I adjusted it in that temp to where the butterfly was JUST closed and did not rotate the housing any further would that setting also be appropriate if it was colder outside?? The butterfly does open fully when warm but I'm wondering if it takes to long to get fully open.

Any help appreciated.
Mike

#2 ·
Mike, you can set the choke to be fully closed at that temp and it will probably work just fine. Just remember that the bimetallic spring inside the choke housing will unwind as the temp warms up, opening the choke plate, it will also windup as the temp gets colder, taking more time to fully open the choke plate. I guess the way to set the choke correctly is find out what temp the engine likes for wide open choke operation and set it accordingly. That way, if the temp is hotter, no choke, and if it gets colder you'll get more and more choking action as the temp drops. And by the same token, longer warm up times. HTH.

#3 ·
Thanks for the answer Ron. I went ahead and set it....cold...in 55 degree weather.....RIGHT where the butterfly closed fully. That was about 3/4 of an inch before its previous setting....making me think it was previously set quite a bit too "closed". I'll see how it works in the morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.