Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!!! Does anyone out there know where I can buy some new chrome side racing mirrors??????

·
Detritus Maximus
3,114 Posts
You're talking about the old 'Talbot" style, right? Little bullet shaped things? Check on the Tony D. Branda Shelby site. Or Aardvark racing.

·
184 Posts
I bought a pair of chrome "bullet styled" side mirrors that were made by Hella when I first got my GT. New old stock. I tried fitting the drivers mirror but could never get the view correct using the OEM mirror mounting holes. I gave up and put them up on the shelf. I think they would have to be relocated to work on a GT. I was going to put them up on eBay on of these days. If there is interest, let me know and I can dig them out and snap a photo.

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
If you want to find a mirror that works from "apporox" the stock location, try doing a search on the German EBAY for "engelmann" This is the mirror of choice for the Europeans, for the GT and all Opels.

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chrome side mirrors

Thanks for all of the input everyone!.:D

Jimsky when you have the time please send the pictures of your mirrors. Are they the ones OGTS use to carry?

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you send me a link for the german auction?? I am coming up empty handed here.... THANKS!!!:confused:

·
Opeler
138 Posts
Bullet & Original Mirrors

For bullet style mirrors and a mirror that looks like the original on our Opel GTs. Look to the British Sports cars!

They all used bullett mirrors for certain vintages and the Lucas style mirrors look just like the originals!

Go to: www.mossmotors.com

Click on MGB, Body Trim & Fittings, Mirrors, and you there!

Richard

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chrome mirrors

OH YEA!!:D
Thanks a LOT for the links!!!!!! Big help and new avenues I have not traveled!! Much appreciated.
Hey, on the German auction....am I just reading pictures (I am plain ol' english speaking and reading here!:) ) or is there an easy way to translate the needed info??

·
184 Posts
I dug those mirrors out of the garage. They are a pair of Hella 4004GT, new old stock. They came in chrome or black, to my suprise the pair I have are black. Sorry, thought they were chrome, bought them about a year ago and haven't looked at them since. Additionally they are plastic, not metal. Photos below, one per post:

Attachments

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chrome mirrors

Jimsky,
Thanks for the photos. Sorry for your trouble, but they just are not what I am looking for. DO APPRECIATE your efforts!!!!

BQS4.....thanks for the link!! And the search is on................:D

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Frequently you can find bullet (Talbot-style) mirrors on Ebay. Also if you enter bullet mirrors into a search engine you get plently of hits. From what I've found, there are small ones and bigger ones. I asked a friend about what "pot metal" is. He wasn't positive but thinks it is a cheaper kind of and way of manufacturing metal. maybe some of you metalurgists can verify this.

If you want to see how they look, there was recently a a discussion about basket-weave wheels and someone posted a photo of their GT showing the wheels. So happens it also has chrome bullets!

Hope this helps:D

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
I think it was me who had the BBS wheels with the chrome bullet mirrors. I'm swapping them for the "engelmann" type from Europe. So, these will be up for sale when that happens. The "pot-metal" you're friend was talking about is like the metal a carb is made of. The first set of these bullet mirrors I had were "paintable" and you could clearly see the metal they were made of. I had this first set on several Opels, so finally after years of closing the driver's door with this mirror on it, it cracked, not the glass, the metal. It had fatigued enough. But, I think these chrome ones are made of steel, not 100% sure, but, I saw the engelmann style and I like it better.
Gene

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Me thinks you are correct. Just to expand a bit.

I am under the impression that the pot metal ones are cheaper quality. I have seen some that were chrome over brass.

The bullet style varies slightly. Some have a more rounded taper, others come to a sharp point so look around.

BTW. You'll probably get several hits on motorcycle mirrors too.
:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think I have the kind of mirrors on my car that you're talking about. I gave a pair of them to Bret Brummitt.. If you email him, he might sell them to you. I don't think he's using them.
Mount them HIGH!!! Mine are really worthless as far as seeing behind me. but damn they look cool!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts