Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I have a 1969 GT that is in need of serious rebuild, from ground up. No compression on rear two cyl. of stock 1.9L, so planning to replace rather than rebuild.

I have owned cars with Chrysler 2.2L Turbo engines before, like the power and LOVE the potential of these motors, but have serious concerns about transmission choice. I understand that there are 5-spd. transmissions from mid-80's Dakota pickups that work, but I'm not thrilled about a truck tranny with a high HP application. I know there are adapter kits that allow use of V-8 Mopar automatic transmissions, but I will not be putting an auto in this car.

Any thoughts? I've read other threads here about import motors and etc., but am seriously interested in the Mopar motor.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,095 Posts
The trans is going to be less of an issue than the rear end. What plans do you have for that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, I haven't given the rear end much thought. I understand the stock piece is probably good up to about 200 HP (right?), but I'll probably get past that rating. My first choice would be to fit a Chevy disk-brake rear, with whatever modifications are required. I know it will have to be narrowed, and I've seen discussions on this board about custom rear suspension setups.

I've been so focused on the transmission question that I haven't gotten any further in the planning. Any advice is welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.