Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on a 2.4 liter from a new neon swap. I guess my biggest concern would be transmission any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't stray him too far away from this guys. Dodge powerplants can be quite potent, you just have to know what to look for.

Start with a 2.5 Turbo block from a late 80's, early 90's Daytona. Take the DOHC head from a 2.4L Neon. Add the tranny from a Dodge Dakota pickup truck and nice standalone engine management system. You've got yourself a 400+ hp capable setup.

That's a simplified version, obviously it's not direct bolt 'n go. But with a little work, it's very possible.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Neon Engines

Keep in mind while y'all are talking about 2.4 Liter Neon engines... ALL Neons have 2.0 Liter engines EXCEPT the 2003 SRT-4, which has a turbo charged 2.4. The 2.0 L came in TWO different configurations: SOHC AND DOHC. The SOHC has 132 HP and the DOHC has 150 HP. Both engines are very reliable, especially after the original head gasket is replaced with the new MLS GASKET. Chrysler replaced my head gasket at 95,000 miles for free!!!

The SRT-4 has 215 HP and 235 lb-ft, hardly WEAK by any measure. Now if you want the 2.4 engine, you will need to look under the hood of a Status, Avenger or PT Cruiser. For more information about the 2.0 Neon or 2.4 L engine go to www.neons.org All answers can be found there!

Paul
75 Manta
98 Neon R/T

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Paul, I think the Neon SRT-4 will be the next hot 'tuner' car. It's just begging for aftermarket upgrades. Sure the new Mitsu Lancer Evo will steal some of the thunder, but those will be rare by comparison and most kids can't cut the 30K pricetag. The Neon is much more affordable, and FAST. My friend runs a turbocharged VW Golf in SCCA Pro Rally competition, and the only cars giving him fits are the Neon SRT's (they were run in Group 5 last year as they were pre-production prototypes). Fast and cheap....gotta love Chrysler for that. Remember the GLHS's?

Bob

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Bob,
Yea you're right! Since I still get ALL the monthly MOPAR perodicals, courtesy of the "Old" days of winning a little Chrysler contingency money from Auto-Xing. I've been reading about how well the SRT-4 has been doing in ProRally. Chrysler is still Pissed off at SCCA in Road Racing, so Chrysler is really gung-ho in Rally.

Bob, do you happen to know if the SRT-4 Rally guys are running a "Limited Slip" or other type of differental? I know the factory only offers an "Open" diff. One test drive I read said that since the boost comes on smoothly, wheel spin wasn't a big problem.

Sorry for the lack of Opel content, but I feel the Manta and Neon are very similar. Neither car got/gets the respect they deserved.

Paul

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
AFAIK, the rally cars ARE running limited slips. I believe they were the testbeds in fact for the Mopar aftermarket parts, probably including the limited slip. Opel (in there for Opel content)

Bob

·
1,973 Posts
i have a 1989 dodge daytona 2.2 liter for sale it has 84,000 miles on it, runs great $450 complete car.

·
1,973 Posts
this is the dodge daytona engine $300 buys the engine and tranny and every thing for it to run (coil, starter{brand new!}, alternator ect.) the daytona engine and transmission face side to side and of coarse for it to go in a opel it would have to be front to back.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Could we get full pictures of the car interior etc... sounds like a good deal and i need a running car while this opel is in restoration. Another reason id like that car is my uncle had a conquest (basically same car) with a 2.2 turbo and it ran like hell not only could he not blow the motor (he tried... first gear full redline with nearly no oil) but he hit a car in the arse end at 35 and barely damaged the car.. i also just liked the feel of the tranny (5 spd.) ive been loooking for conquest/daytona for awhile.. i couldnt find one for under 2500 so im very intrested. Some information would be great and pictures would be even better

·
1,973 Posts
here is a pic of the of my dodge daytona '89 2.2 (non turbo)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I ran with an 1986 LaBarron GTS with the 2.5 eng. for 10+ years with a standard trany. It had 200,000 miles when I sold it four year ago. It was a great car and the eng. was the best!! It went 186,000 on the factory instaled timeing belt. It was the best.

I alwas wanted to drop that engine in an Opel to see how it would do. That was a great eng and would go forever (just change the oil every 3,000 to 5,000)

Rick

·
Opeler
15 Posts
MopelPAR

I have been a Morar turbo guy since buying my first car. A 1986 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible. (see it here www.ricdidonato.com/Downtime/index.html). My current setup in the car (which is modest) has me over 260hp. But the torque in those older Mopar engines is what really sets them apart from the ricers of the same vintage. If you are really ambitious you can build a hybrid engine. That is the hot setup for Mini Mopars now. Take an older 2.5L Chrysler turbo and bolt on a neon 16valve DOHC head. You have to make a custom intake and change the computer and a few other things but these engines are well over 300hp and torque numbers over 400. see here (http://www.relentlessracing.com/main.htm)

The reason I came across this posting is that my son just inherited my dad's '73 GT. Like his dad he's looking to tune.

The Chrysler Mini Mopars were front wheel drive so the transaxle isn't going to work in the Opel. Fortunately, Dodge used the 2.2 Turbo engine in the mid '80s Dakota pickup which was rear-wheel drive. I have an extra 2.2 Turbo lying around, if I can find the right Dodge NP535 5-speed tranny I may drop it in some weekend to see if it fits and how it performs.

·
299 Posts
i believe now that they use the 2.4 liter in the late jeep wrangler with an aisin warner 5 speed that is alot easier to find also if you can find just a bellhousing for the four cylinder the np535 also was behind the 3.9 v6 in the dakota and rwd van

·
Dog Man
850 Posts
more info

this thread is kool thread and i was hopeing to see more info here what front wheeldrive motor works with what rear wheel drive tranny. ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts