Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
That's really not what I was thinking. I was thinking more of sledge hammer and small parts. But that would be sacrilege. The clock could have been saved, so 50 years and still not ticking.(y)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Not sure I completely follow, My meter for an example has an amp clamp to measure amperage, Or are you referring to a typical cheap meter without an amp clamp?
Ahh, well, the distinction isn't "cheap" vs. "expensive" with respect to whether they have a clamp meter or not. They make cheap and expensive versions of both. They do different things.

The amp clamp is generally for higher power circuits, and is really only useful for rough ballpark measurements.

Also, most amp clamps only measure AC, and they get messed up if you try to measure DC with them.

Most clamps use a transformer design to measure, which is why they only usefully measure AC. Fancier ones with hall effect sensors inside can measure DC.

Anyway, looks like the problem is solved.

·
Opeler
3,203 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,937 Posts
I have a working clock in both of my GTs. That thunk when the reset is one of my favorite features. The early clocks are very loud. I can hear mine on the other side of the door to my garage if I really listen.

I’ve never had any issues with the clocks draining my battery. Even with the 6”x4” dirt bike battery on my 72 I can still start my car after a couple of months of sitting with the clock ticking.

The clocks will run for several weeks off of 1 household 9V battery. I know because I have had one running in my bookshelf for the past 5 years. I have to recharge the battery about every month or two.
Also none of my clocks keep good time. My best one is fast by about 15 minutes per 24hrs

Reactions: terrylewisac
21 - 26 of 26 Posts