Plus1 - larger dia, short, more capacity: FRAM PH16
Plus2 - larger dia, med, more capacity: FRAM PH43
Plus3 - larger dia, long, more capacity: FRAM PH8A

GT: Stock or Plus1
Kadett: Stock or Plus 2
Manta/1900 w/o A/C: Stock or Plus2
Manta/1900 with A/C: Stock ONLY!*
Remote filter: Plus3

* Manta/1900 GM A/C compressor mounts low on right side of engine and front edge compressor mounting plate will eventually wear hole in side of any filter but stock due to proximity and vibration . . . not enough clearance for bigger diameter oil filters. The recommended use of stock GM filter for vehicles with A/C is specifically mentioned in the Manta/1900 Owner's Manuals!

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
manta

One thing to also consider if you own a Manta is that with the stock skid plate there is very little room to reach the filter through the little filter hole. with big paws like mine the only one I can actually hold and turn is the stock one.

Since all my Chrysler products either use ph16 or ph43's, I use PH16's on everything so I only have to buy one filter.

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
I agree with the Manta/1900(Ascona) warning. I picked up a '74 Manta Luxus with A/C with a siezed engine because the filter was punctured by the compressor. It was an oversized(wide) oil filter. It only had 74 K on the clock. It does happen!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
tekenaar said:
A quick word about CIH engine oil filters (Ford 1/2" thread):
Actually it's 3/4"-16 pitch. Easier to cross-reference at your local auto parts store armed with the exact thread.

Bob

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i'm really skinny but have wide hands, and like stephen find it difficult to change the filter through the bottom of the manta. on the manta i find it MUCh easier to just change the filter from the top. dont even gotta jack the manta up to change its oil!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jlthunder said:
I agree with the Manta/1900(Ascona) warning. I picked up a '74 Manta Luxus with A/C with a siezed engine because the filter was punctured by the compressor. It was an oversized(wide) oil filter. It only had 74 K on the clock. It does happen!!!
AMEN!! Ask Gene about that "Rainy Night in Georgia" and my just purchased Bitter!

·
1,973 Posts
Just check the oil on the dipstick, when it's full, it's full.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
reliefs, too

According to the NAPA filter book in my lap, the PH16 is only 3/4" or so bigger in diameter, so it won't significantly increase your oil requirements.

One thing to also consider is that some filters come with built-in relief valves, and the Opel one does not because there is a relief valve built into the timing cover. Not a problem, as the relief just bypasses the filter, but something to be aware of.

The smallest Fram filter you can use, by the way, with the correct gasket size and thread pitch, is a Fram PH8171 or PH8172, they are only 2.7" tall and should clear anything. If you go to NAPA and get their house brand (re-badged WIX, usually) you can go even smaller, with their part # 1065, which is 2.3" tall.

The biggest filter you can use that has the correct gasket and the right diameter (actually slightly smaller than stock, but the gasket is right) is a Fram part # PH3639. This filter is 5.8" long, so it's probably as big as you're going to screw on the timing cover of a CIH.

For reference:
Fram #___________ NAPA #___ OD" ____ Length"
_________________ 1065 _____ 2.95 ___ 2.32
PH8171 (PH8172)__ 1056 _____ 2.92 ___ 2.71
PH966B (PH3816) __ 1374 _____ 2.97 ___ 3.53
PH16 ____________ 1085 _____ 3.66 ___ 3.79
PH43 ____________ 1068 _____ 3.66 ___ 4.34
PH8A ____________ 1515 _____ 3.66 ___ 5.18
PH3639 __________ 1512 _____ 2.95 ___ 5.84

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,435 Posts
tekenaar said:
AMEN!! Ask Gene about that "Rainy Night in Georgia" and my just purchased Bitter!
Or me.. ;)

Thats an "almost" funny story.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,435 Posts
oldopelguy said:
According to the NAPA filter book in my lap, the PH16 is only 3/4" or so bigger in diameter, so it won't significantly increase your oil requirements.

One thing to also consider is that some filters come with built-in relief valves, and the Opel one does not because there is a relief valve built into the timing cover. Not a problem, as the relief just bypasses the filter, but something to be aware of.

The smallest Fram filter you can use, by the way, with the correct gasket size and thread pitch, is a Fram PH8171 or PH8172, they are only 2.7" tall and should clear anything. If you go to NAPA and get their house brand (re-badged WIX, usually) you can go even smaller, with their part # 1065, which is 2.3" tall.

The biggest filter you can use that has the correct gasket and the right diameter (actually slightly smaller than stock, but the gasket is right) is a Fram part # PH3639. This filter is 5.8" long, so it's probably as big as you're going to screw on the timing cover of a CIH.

For reference:
Fram #___________ NAPA #___ OD" ____ Length"
_________________ 1065 _____ 2.95 ___ 2.32
PH8171 (PH8172)__ 1056 _____ 2.92 ___ 2.71
PH966B (PH3816) __ 1374 _____ 2.97 ___ 3.53
PH16 ____________ 1085 _____ 3.66 ___ 3.79
PH43 ____________ 1068 _____ 3.66 ___ 4.34
PH8A ____________ 1515 _____ 3.66 ___ 5.18
PH3639 __________ 1512 _____ 2.95 ___ 5.84
Still find the "stock" one at the local Advanced Auto..

Purolator - 10028

Its what I use all the time..

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I said this before, a long time ago, but feel it needs repeating. I blew the seal out of two Fram filters after oil changes on my GT, not fun, and left a mess. So I'm only using, or was using Purolator filters. The difference, Fram seals are crimped on the housing in only 2 places, the Purolator seals are crimped on in 4 places. Just a bit harder to blow out the seals when first starting up the engine, and getting the initial surge of oil flow through the filter.

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thread worth repeating . . .

. . . for all the "newbies" here . . . see post 1!

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
Or me.. ;)

Thats an "almost" funny story.
That is how I got my "74 Luxus" with a blown motor so cheap. Alas, frame rot finished off the car a few years later.

·
Opeler
3,687 Posts
Short Oil Filter

When adding oil cooler, sandwich plate is used between block and the filter, requiring use of short filter. It took me some research until I found the right one:
MANN W77

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
When adding oil cooler, sandwich plate is used between block and the filter, requiring use of short filter. It took me some research until I found the right one:
MANN W77
WIX 51335 should work as well. WIX says it's also used on some Kohler engines among other things.

Harold

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
Bosch 3330 is pretty short

1 - 20 of 23 Posts