Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I bought the last set of finished three bearing cam bearings from OGTS. However, they don't fit the delta head that I have. If anyone wants them I'll sell them for what I paid OGTS. I'll have to dig out the reciept but I think they were 45.oo bucks even thought OGTS advertised them as 35. Let me know. They aren't doing me any good, both heads I have are deltas.\
Gregg

·
648 Posts
Keith,
Check with TGSI Bob. It seems like he bought some extra sets when he built my head a few years back.
james

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
"Delta" Head

Gregg,

I presume you are referring to the "odd" Opel 3-bearing head, with different sized cam bearings journals, as a "Delta" head. How did you figure out that you had "Delta" heads? Do you happen to have the cam bearing journal dimensions for the standard head compared to the delta head? Finally, if you are looking for a home for the bearings, I would be pleased to provide it. Send me an e-mail to kwilford"at"shaw.ca and we can make this happen. Thanks!

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The delta head refers to the Triangle stamped into the head, theory has it that these heads were bored oversize for some reason, they were then stamped with the triangle. These bearings are some 20 thousandts thicker than the standard bearings. The inside of the bearings are the same but the outside diameter is different. I finally found the right bearings in Utah. I'll drop you an email.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The delta stamp is really just a triangle and it will be stamped on the head on the drivers side near the center access plate. Mine has the stamp immedately before the 19H stamp on the same pad. I happened to have two of these heads and the standard cam bearings would not work on either one. The standard bearing may be delinated by a Star or asterisk symbol and uses the SH 796S bearing. The delta bearing is a Durabond OP3 Bearing. The number I contacted for the OP3 bearings was 877-354-3812, at the time OGTS did not stock the OP3 bearings and I got the last set of finished 796s bearings they had in stock.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
The delta stamp is really just a triangle and it will be stamped on the head on the drivers side near the center access plate. Mine has the stamp immedately before the 19H stamp on the same pad. I happened to have two of these heads and the standard cam bearings would not work on either one. The standard bearing may be delinated by a Star or asterisk symbol and uses the SH 796S bearing. The delta bearing is a Durabond OP3 Bearing. The number I contacted for the OP3 bearings was 877-354-3812, at the time OGTS did not stock the OP3 bearings and I got the last set of finished 796s bearings they had in stock.
Not to wake a old thread, but its is as good as any.

The Delta head is actually just using the stock 4 bearing head bearings. Minus Bearing #3.

The hard ones to get now are the finished 3 bearing for the 19H head as they are smaller. Anyone got the part number on that one?

·
Opel Key Master
5,336 Posts
Not exactly....parts book list 4 different OD for the cam bearings, anywhere from 2.05 OD to 2.09 OD
That is for up to 1972, I don't have my other books.
I didn't think the delta head bearings and late bearings were the same though. If you can tell me the OD you need, I have NOS bearings, even some new, but sure they are unfinished

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
Not exactly....parts book list 4 different OD for the cam bearings, anywhere from 2.05 OD to 2.09 OD
That is for up to 1972, I don't have my other books.
I didn't think the delta head bearings and late bearings were the same though. If you can tell me the OD you need, I have NOS bearings, even some new, but sure they are unfinished
If your talking individual bearings then yes, the H set has three distinctively different sized ( smaller bearings ) than the Delta or 4 bearing cams.

I can tell you for a fact the Delta bearings and 4 bearing heads share the same bearings ( Minus one on the Delta head ).

I actually have two sets of 93/3 Glycol bearings ( They are the ones for the 19H, but both are Semi-finished ). The 76/3 is the Delta head.

Issue is the machine shop can do the line bore, but the cost and time to setup for a single head would make it REALLY nice if I could find a set of Finished bearings for the 19H head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.